new banner

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Happy Day Mobile (aka Maternity Leave mobile)


It's amazing how much crafting you can do when you don't have to go to work. I'd be such an amazing, unemployed craft maven. Since I became pregnant, I've had all these grand plans for cute baby knits, but I haven't had the time/energy or inclination.

Well, in just two work days home and waiting for little one to show up, I'm more than making up for lost time.


Here's the Happy Day Mobile from Crochet Today. I first saw it while visiting the magazine's office maybe a year and a half ago -- I was totally smitten and knew some day that mobile would be *mine*. The designer, Amy Gaines, just has a way with darling little faces.


I'm a snappy sunshine with chubby cheeks and puffy clouds!

I'm a cheerful rainbow! So 80s!

And we're raindrops! One of us is deadpan, the other bashful. Because why would a raindrop smile?

I bought yellow, blue and orange Sugar n Cream cotton yarn because it was on sale at Michael's (yes, we made a special trip to Michael's in Woodside). And I just used what oddments I had sitting around for the rest. Gotta love projects like that.

I definitely knew that I had to make this a few weeks ago, when we were unable to remove the weird planter hook from our little nursery. (And I mean little. My craft room became the nursery with the help of a temporary wall). This hook has been here since we moved in, and it's probably been stuck there much, much longer. The screws are stripped, suggesting we aren't the first folks who have tried to remove it.

Here it is in action!


All that's left to make is a little stuffed animal for the little one. I think I'll have time to make one right?

6 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Adorable mobile!

Better knit fast on that stuffed animal -- you know what the Yarn Harlot says about babies and knitting, right?

7:53 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

I love the mobile! Enjoy every minute of pre-baby maternity leave, and every minute of post-baby leave too! I'm sure you've heard it before, but it goes SOOOO FAST!!! My lil girl is 5 months old already. Best wishes for a fast and painless L&D! Hope you meet your leetle man soon!!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Kim U said...

Oh, that is SO cute!

12:42 PM  
Blogger margaux said...

FREGGIN CUTE!! Love the mobile so much!!

7:21 PM  
Blogger studio meyer said...

love the bad-tempered raindrops. and also your mobile hanging in the nursery. your little man will love looking up there. good luck to you!!

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Beth said...

So. How are things at home with wee one? Did you get to finish that last projects? I was the same way when I was pregnant.... had all these plans to make smocked day gowns and I'm not sure if I made even one. It's been 14+ years. She just entered the 9th grade. Let the dust gather in the corners and sleep when he sleeps. They are tiny for only a tiny length of time. Enjoy!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home