new banner

Monday, March 07, 2011

A goodbye shawl

There's a reason that I've been absent since November, which I'm so sad about. But we're having a baby boy in July! I couldn't be more excited -- we feel so blessed and lucky and just wonder who he'll be. I've therefore been distracted and unmotivated and full of excuses when it comes to crafting, apparently. But I hate that so I'll just jump in.

A few weeks back, a longtime boss of mine got a new job. Yay for her, sad for me. She was a mentor to me and responsible in large part for any opportunities I've received. That seems worthy of a shawl, right?

It's the boneyard shawl, knit up in Noro Silk Garden, which was given to me by Maya at the Spiders holiday swap. I had never used Noro before (gasp!) and enjoyed seeing how the colors would work up.



And now, since I'm at 21 weeks pregnant, it's time to focus on baby knits. For my baby -- isn't that crazy? After years of making things for others, I feel tremendous pressure to find the perfect baby blanket or sweater or booties or cap. I've literally spent evenings starting at Ravelry, trying to decide patterns and colors. Boy appropriate but not too BOY, you know? Don't want it too loud and too primary color heavy, but don't want it too pastel and baby-like. This is tough work. Hope to have something to show off soon.

11 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

as you know i LOVE this. it turned out so well. you're a generous crafter, melago.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Half way there! How exciting!
I had the same issue with finding the right pattern to make for my baby boy :) You can't go wrong with the Peapod cardi! Also, Debbie Bliss. Yes, a bit of a cliche, but simple and elegant patterns win every time. Also, chocqua!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Rocketry cardigan. I made one for my nephew and I wish I had made a Tulip for my daughter. Dream in Color is amazing! :-)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Kristyn said...

Congratulations! The shawl is beautiful.

8:47 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful news.

Your boss is a lucky woman. The shawl is just lovely.

11:22 PM  
Blogger tentenknits said...

gorgeous shawl!! And yes a great boss definitely deserves a knit like that! I made an Ishbel for my boss just for her birthday because she's That Awesome.

Congratulations by the way!! So exciting. I can't wait to see the baby knits!! (vintage baby knits by kristen rengren is amazaballs btw)

5:43 PM  
Blogger MelB said...

Congratulations in advance! I love the shawl, its just beautiful! Just came across this pattern
http://www.petitepurls.com/winter10/winter2010_p_cascade.html
not too boyish , hopefully not too girlish either ~
Have fun searching!

10:22 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Yay for baby knitting for your own baby! (Something tells me you're going to be buried in baby knits from others, though!)

Beautiful shawl. There's something so magical about Noro's color changes.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Mereditrh said...

Congratulations!!! I am due on May 4th and we don't know what we are having yet. I am totally slacking off with my knitting as well! I finally decided to make a wool eater blanket for the baby and I am loving the way it is turning out! I think I will make a baby tomten as well! : )

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I'm here to tell you you can't go wrong with a brown or grey vest. Ada has worn the one I made her at least twice a week since she was eight weeks old and somehow it still fits. It doesn't show drool, spit-up rinses right out with just a quick squeeze under a warm tap and it just keeps smelling pleasantly of wool, she can wear it over pajamas or any number of actual outfits and it looks good and provides just the right amount of extra warmth. Seriously. I am the Brown Vest Evangelist and here ends my public service announcement.

Congratulations again, by the way! Ada and I think that July is an excellent month for a birthday.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I love this. Yay for baby knitting for your own baby!

San Diego Mobile Notary

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home