new banner

Monday, October 18, 2010

Why, yes, I did knit a sweater for Rhinebeck.


I wasn't just looking forward to Rhinebeck this year. I NEEDED IT. Like, bad. Partly because it's gourd season, partly because I just wanted some time with my friends (and without blackberry reception).

So, cheesy as it may be, I needed a Rhinebeck sweater. This would not be easy to finish. I've been a little absent from here because I've been working on a rather epic project for my brother's wedding, and I don't exactly have time for personal knitting. Still, I was determined. Someone was lobbying for this sweater, which is lovely, but I chose the darling Cropped Jacket from Vogue Knitting.


photos by fig and plum Jess

Now, a little about this pattern. I waltzed over to La Casita, my fave yarn store (and only partly because of the wine) and picked up the magazine from last fall. Warning bells should have gone off in my head when I saw that it called for 22 skeins of Lopi, But this is Vogue! How could they be so wrong? When I realized it would cost me about, oh, $400 to make this, I checked the errata. Um, it only requires seven skeins. (And I actually only used five. Anyone need some Lopi?)



I really enjoyed making this, and it was a super quick knit. But the placket! Why is it so, so wonky? It fits perfectly, but the snaps are totally visible. I blocked it twice, took the snaps off and reattached them, and STILL WONKY. Could be because it's faux double breasted -- perhaps I'll use those extra skeins to make it actually double breasted?

Either way, it kept me warm as we ate fried artichokes, met old and new friends at the Ravelry meet-up, ogled alpacas and fondled yarns. AND as we ate fabulous food and drank cider at our barbecue back at the Spiders house. Doesn't get much more seasonal, now does it?

6 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

A true winner you got there, Carrie! It looks great on you, can't believe it's Lopi.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Kelly K. said...

SOOOOO SEASONAL!!!

It was so nice meeting you on Saturday! I just sent you a request on Twitter, I'm sure we'll talk soon :)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

VERY nice! It looks GREAT on you! Glad you enjoyed the weekend at Rhinebeck.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Ivy said...

It looks great--lovely color and looks wonderful on you.

7:55 AM  
Blogger mkonieczki said...

HOLY COW! From 22 down to 5 skeins... that's quite the oversight! At any rate, the sweater is lovely and it fits beautifully, wonky plackett and all :-D

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Marlena said...

Love it! In the far away shot, no wonkiness is visible, it's only when you did the closeup!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home