new banner

Saturday, June 06, 2009

The one where I designed a sweater

So I've been crocheting for, what, eight years now. I've designed a few stuffed animals, and I figured it was high time I whipped up a sweater. An 80s-inspired sweater, in fact.


Thanks, mom, for taking the photos


I've been seeing so many rich, vibrant yellows lately, namely on Latika in Slumdog Millionare. (We only saw it a few weeks ago, I am ashamed to say. Since we live catty-corner from a movie theater, we can go to the movies at any time -- so we never go.) Anyway, I wanted something lemon-y and buttercup-y and daffodil-y for myself.

I was drawn to this vivid shade of Tahki cotton classic while at The Yarn Co. after a doctor's appointment a few weeks back. This is a whole lotta double crochet and ribbing, the perfect canvas for my daisy brooch. It's not as "Flashdance-y" as I imagined, but I might be too old for off-the-shoulder looks anyways.


Oh, and I found the perfect li'l buttons at Union Max, a vintage shop down the street from Brooklyn General. Seriously, the button selection there is insane.

15 Comments:

Blogger illanna said...

It looks amazing!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

OMG! I just, this minute, finished watching this movie! I was drawn to her yellows, too.

This is super cute! The buttons are the perfect touch.

12:38 AM  
Blogger cidell said...

That's impressive! I'm going to NY next weekend and will have to check out Union Max. Hmmm, I can't remember if I was born at Brooklyn General or Brooklyn Jewish. Will have to ask my mom :)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Knitting by the Pond said...

I love it and the color is fantastic! I just love knitting with Tahki Cotton Classic :)

9:57 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

It's so cute Carrie! I'm always so inspired by your crocheting!!

9:59 AM  
Blogger MelB said...

Wow That really looks good Carrie . Are you going to put the design up as I am actually looking for a tshirt in that same design but have not been successful. Pls let me know as I don't mind paying for it. Thanks!!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Team Knit ! said...

Gorgeous!! I jus tlove hose yellow buttons, they are the icing on the cake.

-Julie

9:23 PM  
Blogger At Home Mommy Knits said...

Wow! You did a fantastic job. Beautiful

9:25 AM  
Anonymous purlyqueen said...

LOVE IT. Makes me want to pick up my crochet hook.
Any plans to publish the pattern?

11:03 AM  
Blogger Sara Kirby said...

This is awesome! Congrats to you!

5:15 PM  
Anonymous christa said...

whoo-hoo! buttery and delicious! (obviously, i need some pound cake to go with your yummy sweater).

6:10 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love this yellow on you so much, Carrie! You gotta bring that on your trip...

8:43 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Very cute!

10:27 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

totally impressed with your mad crocheting and designing skills! so cute!!!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Meredith R Culberson said...

Just found my way here from Ysolda's blog. You've inspired me to dig out my sewing machine and stop complaining about my lack of cute clothes.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home