new banner

Friday, May 01, 2009

yarn, what yarn?

Not sure why, but all I can think about lately is sewing. Maybe because I discovered last week that my office is dangerously close to Mood Fabrics -- and I've already made two trips. Can you believe I've never gone before? It's a little overwhelming, with its crazy three floors of cottons and ultrasuedes and tweeds. Since I'm vertically challenged, I can really only reach about half the merchandise, but that hasn't stopped me from building a fabric stash. (Yes, me, a stash.)

Gotta say that I probably prefer bolts of fabric to long rolls, but, damn, that place is amazing.

So here's my first finish object with Mood fabric -- a Built by Wendy dress.

You might, or might not, recall that I made the shirt from this pattern a year or so back -- really, it's an awesome pattern. The only part I really struggled with was the sleeves. You can't see the little ties on the elbows because, um, I put them on the inside instead of the outside. Ah well, less likely to get caught in subway doors!

The fabric remined me of graph paper from high school geometry, which caused me a moment of anxiety. Then I remembered that I'll never have to take geometry again and the anxiety subsided, so I bought the fabric. This is perfect for work, and I'd love to make it in other fabrics. Maybe I'll just skip the ties?

18 Comments:

Blogger lucky knitter said...

I love it, and it looks great on you! That fabric is perfect, and I love that Built by Wendy pattern. It is so adaptable.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

OMG, I, too, have plaid fabric from mood, ready to become this Built by Wendy dress! Yours is exceptionally cute--you are truly such great fuel for sewing motivation!
And graph paper can be fun--think of pretty knitting designs, sketched on graph paper.... Much nicer than math! ;)

1:30 PM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

You make me so jealous of your sewing abilities! This looks FABULOUS!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

So cute! Mood is the best ever! Luckily, it's close to my office too, but I don't go too much because I can never remember where it is, otherwise I'd have quite a fabric stash too.

1:38 PM  
Blogger gleek said...

OMG, super cute dress! i love it :)

3:28 PM  
OpenID thinkingmama said...

Cute dress! I've been more inspired to sew things lately too. I love the fabric you chose- I have a strange love affair with graph paper!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Love your version of this dress! I've made 3 dresses from this pattern, including a long sleeved one with fabric from Mood, if you can believe it :) It's a winner!

6:19 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Your graph paper dress is an old school winner:)

6:49 PM  
Blogger PassionKNITly said...

It looks great! Where did you get the Built By Wendy pattern? I got a sewing machine for Christmas and while I'm still a newbie, I really would like to give a go at that pattern.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Karen Olson said...

Adorable!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Roosdorentje: said...

I love it! It looks really classy┬▒

4:30 AM  
Blogger me said...

great dress - I love the monkey in the previous post - bravo for how fun he is!!!!

12:38 AM  
Anonymous vanessa said...

that's lovely! nice work lady :)

5:51 PM  
Anonymous kaitlyn said...

what a great dress! I am consistent awe of your ability to always wind up making things that FIT you SO WELL. Great job!

8:46 AM  
OpenID knitthehellout said...

That is a gorgeous dress! Just think of it as knitting graph paper to relieve any anxiety. It looks great on you.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Mohammad Salauddin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Mohammad Salauddin said...

OMG!It looks great! Where did you get the Built By Wendy pattern?super cute dress!
Fabrics USA Inc |African Wax Print Fabric | African George Fabrics

8:58 AM  
Blogger Fabrics USA Inc. said...

nice dress. looks awesome. We have a great collection of African fabrics. Good quality at lowest price. For whole sell price Visit us hope you guys love them.
Sequin Fabrics

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home