new banner

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

There's just something about sewing....

Jon and I were ambling around Woodstock a few weeks ago when I spotted Quiltstock. Yes, Quiltstock. It was a really delightful store -- bright and airy with lots of natural light for inspecting the fabric. (And not a single "Hippie Parking Only" sign -- there were a lot of those in Woodstock.)

I was going to leave with just a few fat quarters as souvenirs when I saw Amy Butler's Anna Tunic at the checkout. And, yeah, that was that.


i'm blurry and heading to work!

This took half an evening and most of an afternoon, including multiple machine mishaps. (I'm really tempted to buy a new machine that will be less temperamental.) I loved this pattern, even though I had to read a few of the sections, like, 12 times before comprehending them. And I basically just winged the sleeves.

So what is it about my ancient Singer sewing machine that makes me gleeful one minute and ready to rip my hair out the next? My needle broke, the bobbin was all screwy, the thread bunched up in the back. But when it was over? I was blue and ready to start something new...

12 Comments:

Blogger jenna said...

Very cute! I just signed up for a sewing class. I'll have to keep this pattern in mind, you know, if the sewing thing "takes."

8:15 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

That's so cute on you! Love the fabric.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Love this pattern and the fabric too! (I used it for a skirt a long time ago...). I have the same problems with my sewing machine. Now that I've had it for 10 years, I know all the hiccups and can fix them all! For me, when the thread gets bunched up in the back, it's because the bobbin isn't laying perfectly flat. It just needs a little nudge and then everything's perfect.

11:14 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

oh it is so cute! I wish I could sew! I have a cheap machine that breaks a lot too but I generally know what causes it and can try to avoid it. About the only thing I can do is a big rectangle, like curtains!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Super cute - and so pretty on you!

4:51 PM  
Blogger An Abundance of Lisa said...

So cute on you! Sorry your machine is frustrating, but the end product was all the more rewarding, right?

9:05 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

So cute! And kudos for sticking it through with all those machine problems. If you're ever in the market for a new machine, Pfaff is a good one.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Maman said...

It's adorable! Love that fabric.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Craptina said...

Adorable! You'd never know those sleeves were winged! How did you like Woodstock? Did you get to see Cooper lake?

9:55 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

i have problems with my sewing machine almost everytime i use it, so i feel your pain. but the tunic turned out so lovely! so there's a saving grace to it all, eh?

5:30 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

So cute! I have that pattern, and have been working up the courage to make it.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Beth Madigan LCSW, CLC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home