new banner

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

At long last -- my wedding capelet

You've seen the bridesmaid shawls -- now here's mine!


Let's face it -- I get married in a week and a half, so it's probably going to be too warm for a shawl. But a knitting bride needs a knit shawl. Because my dress is lace, I didn't want to overdo it with a lacey shawl, so I wanted instead something with some texture and structure, something that mimicked a little coat or cape. But my search went nowhere.

So, I whipped this up myself, picking up a few skeins of an embarrassing yarn that matched my gown very well. (I've been carrying a swatch around in my purse for five months.) I then recalled, rather randomly, that I always loved the wrong side of my circular shrug. (ravelry) In that pattern, the right side is knit, purl, knit, and the wrong side is knit, slip with the yarn forward, knit. I'm not sure what it says about me that I like the wrong side better -- that's kind of like preferring the cookie to the white stuff in an Oreo. Here's a closeup:

I didn't get a good shot of the closure, but basically it's four little clear buttons. If there is interest, I can write up a little pattern.

Anyway, here I am, the realization that my wedding is so close dawning on me as I wear a loud dress from Target.


Looking back at my circular shawl, I realized that I have completely abandoned what was once a regular feature on this here blog: the dumbest thing I did all week. Anybody even remember that? Anyway, there's a lot of competition since work and wedding stress have slammed directly into each other. But I think this takes the cake. I went to my dentist on the upper East Side yesterday and decided to walk across Central Park to take the C train downtown to work. Well, you know how pedestrian paths in Central Park tend to kind of meander around? So I wander for a while and eventually see the street in front of me and actually think, "Huh, why is Fifth Avenue on the west side?" Um, yeah, I had walked in a circle and ended up back on the East Side.

23 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

That's a very cute, albeit, loud dress. And the shrug calms it down a little. Just a little over a week left? Oh boy! Take deep breaths and take time out to relax!

1:38 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

That capelet is so cute! I like the WS too :) You're going to look great on your wedding day.
Oh, and actually, I've also gotten turned around in Central Park...

6:58 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Adorable! It looks cute even with your loud dress, so you can definitely wear it after the wedding.

A week and a half? Wow, that's soon. Keep breathing!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Everyone's done that in CP, haven't they? Um, haven't they??
You're going to be the most beautiful, DIY bride ever, I swear.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

It's so perfect! I love it. The stitch pattern is gorgeous and the simplicity of it is so elegant. You're going to be such a beautiful bride! All the best with the last few days :)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I can't wait to see the whole ensemble. Have a great week, and a wonderful wedding, Carrie!

8:55 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

so cute! i love it! i'm sure it'll be perfect with your lacy dress.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

what a great shawl! i love the texture & pattern & simplicity. that's so cool that you knitted it to wear with your wedding dress. best wishes on that. hope everything goes perfectly that day. AND, hope you honeymoon somewhere with lots of access to yarn stores... that's always a plus.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Craptina said...

Love it!! it's simple and elegant, and it's definitely going to match the dress beautifully! (I'm SO glad I got a sneak peak)

12:38 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

I love your wedding shawl SO MUCH!!! I can picture it with a beautiful wedding dress. You'll look superb! I have definitely walked around in circles in the park like that, maybe even 5 times. I think it's designed like that on purpose, like at the mall when they intentionally try to make you get lost.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Such a cute capelet for your wedding! Deep breaths now, and make sure you take time to relax. You're in the home stretch now!

9:20 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Good call on the wedding capelet, I like how it is constructed and will be a great counterpoint to the lace dress. Yay Carrie!!!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

wait. i did just leave a comment.....and it is not here!
i hate when that happens!

you are going to be absolutely gorgeous on your wedding day. i LOVE your capelet!

i am getting SO excited for you!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Karen Olson said...

This is adorable. And of course you will be sharing photos after your Big Day, right? Right?

4:23 PM  
OpenID thinkingmama said...

That's a great capelet! I can't even imagine the overacheiving I would have tried for if I had been a knitter when I got married!

1:32 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

The capelet is very pretty and will look great with your dress. Congrats on the wedding and best wishes that everything on your special day is smooth sailing.

12:22 AM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

The capelet is so cute. I hope we get to see a photo of it with your dress, because I'm curious how it looks all together.

I did the same thing in Central Park last week, sort of. I was just trying to get to the lower east corner by looking at what buildings at the perimeter. Once I hit the zoo I realized I was heading North again!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Carrie, it's beautiful--just like you are going to be this weekend. :) Best wishes and lots of luck to you both!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

That is adorable. It's going to contrast beautifully with your dress.
Can't wait to see the final photos!!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

Love the wedding capelet! You will make a beautiful bride. When you have time, I'd love to get the pattern for my own wedding capelet! Hope you had a wonderful wedding.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Try going to wedding catering

9:01 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Try going to Naplesweddingcatering.com

9:01 PM  
Blogger dokan sam said...

Catering is the activity of given that food and beverage for special events such as Wedding Catering, graduations, ceremonies, corporate events.Thanks for keeping this website, I’ll be visiting it. Thanks admin

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home