new banner

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Oh, the neglect.

It's been a month? Really? Ok, there's a lot of ground to cover, people. We'll start with the most important information first -- the finished objects.

You could say that I was totally inspired by Veronique's Built by Wendy dress, or you could say that I totally ripped her off. I had so much success with this pattern before and frequently wear the shirt that I made, so extending it to a dress seemed like a swell idea.


I've had this Amy Butler fabric kicking around for a while now and was happy to find a good use for it. Is it a little loud, sure. But I don't think it's retina-scarring loud.

There is some sad news to report. Last month, I decided to say goodbye to my faithful, lapis blue Neon, nicknamed Van Gogh because his color reminded me of the painting "Starry Night."

As you might imagine, I bought Van Gogh when I was a junior in college and was swayed by the ad campaign that had Neons saying "Hi!" The Neon ferried me around College Park, MD., Rochester, N.Y., New Haven, CT., and New York City, as well as numerous trips to my folks in Pennsylvania. He only broke down once, on a really steep hill in a deserted part of western Pennsylvania, but the Neon still managed to coast to the parking lot of a place called Jumpin' Jack Pizza, where I waited for a tow.

But for personal, professional, environmental and safety reason, I realized it was time to say goodbye. So I donated Van Gogh to Habitat for Humanity, hoping maybe he could help out one more person. It was not easy -- we took pictures and kissed Van Gogh goodbye, and when I heard this Don McLean song recently, I actually cried a little.


On to happier news. Jon's family threw me a delightful, wonderful shower up in Massachusetts a few weeks back. There were so many personal touches. Note that they used a chocqua -- chocolate and aqua -- color theme, to match my wedding colors. And Jon's Aunt Mary knit me these adorable strawberries! I can't imagine the time she put into them. I was so touched by all of it.



We're under three months, folks. I'm freaking out a little.

16 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

That dress is hardly loud. You look absoultely adorable!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

Super cute dress!

So did you get a new car to replace the Neon? BTW, I thought that ad campaign was awesome too. I wish my car would say hi to me sometime...

12:39 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Loud? No, loud is not the word to describe that dress. I believe the word you're looking for is FAB.

7:31 AM  
Blogger An Abundance of Lisa said...

Fabulous dress!! I don't think the pattern is loud at all. You did a great job - the fit is excellent. Sorry to hear about your neon. Cherish the memories ;)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Thanks for the update. Glad to know all is well. And the dress? Adorable!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

That is a super cute dress! I am impressed. and also, I can't believe you're down to three months! YAYAYAY! I know it can be stressful, but hang in there - it's going to be so awesome.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

You're rockin' that dress, Miss Mod! I don't think I ever shed a tear for a car, but mine have always been love/hate relationships...

10:24 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Your dress looks fantastic! If I had any part in steering you to that great pattern, then I'm flattered :)
OMG, knitted strawberries!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Love the dress! It is fantastic - the fabric too!

I too had an old neon, mine was aqua...that thing took us everywhere. It finally bit the bisquit last year and I had to replace it. I still miss my Neon!

12:21 PM  
Blogger gleek said...

bye neon! did you replace it with another car or just decide to go carless?

love the dress! super simple and cute :)

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Becky said...

Delurking:

I myself just had to give up my Neon last month..although not for such a noble cause..She got me through a lot though and lasted very long. I think there will always be a special place in my heart for that Neon, and it seems its only one other Neon owners can really appreciate!

Great job on the dress and best wishes on your wedding!

2:49 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

the dress is adorable! big prints are in for next year, so you are a step ahead!

so you were swayed by the "hi!" ads too, huh?! I used to drive my family crazy in the car when I was 16. Every time a neon would drive by I'd yell out "hi!". I totally wanted a purple one, but it never happened. The jeep won out.

3 months til D day too? don't be too scared, you are much more together than I was at 3 months to go! :)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Such a cute dress and not loud at all!

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Meg said...

I remember those Neon commercials!! Didn't they say something about its little nose "into the future"? I can't remember! Great campaign, though. And I never read car ads.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Craptina said...

Strawberries! What a sweetie, they really love you :) I'm sorry sorry about your car. I know it's tough to say goodbye to something like that. I'm sure you won't be bummed much longer, when you see how much more money you have in your wallet.

Tell me why I bought a car again??

12:49 PM  
Blogger cidell said...

I love the dress. I had no idea you could sew too (Jen told me about your blog). I also sold my Neon last year. She served me well.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home