new banner

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

One hip hippo

So what do you usually think of when someone says "newborn baby girl"?

A hippopotamus? Hey, me too!

Um, well, that's not quite how I came up with this gift for Cassie, Kaitlyn's new little one. I actually pored over crochet patterns, searching for one that had just the right deadpan expression. (I really love stuffed animals with deadpan expressions.)

For some reason, this hippo stole my heart.

This is about as delightful a crochet stuffed animal pattern as you could find. Easy to understand, nothing too fancy. Some assembly is required, but the seaming ain't too painful.

My only regret is that his pronounced snout makes him a little top heavy.

Jonathan was at first skeptical about the hippo, who was just a pile of purple pieces until Saturday. But after he was complete, even before I tied a ribbon 'round his neck, Jon was smitten.

He picked up the creature, held it to his face and said, "This hippo has looked into my soul."

The goodbye on Sunday? It was not an easy one. But we know this fella has a good home.

17 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Sounds like someone needs his own hippo!

The hippo is very cute, but you're right about the snout. Perhaps hippo needs a little rhinoplasty? (tee hee)

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

I loved your little hippo. I'm sure my Lambykins is keeping Hippo company over at Cassie's :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Yup, sounds like someone is getting his own hippo! How cute :)

9:39 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

:) aw jon! i'm sure you'll get your own soon enough.

i'm thinking that maybe if you put some beans in the hippo's butt that it would offset the tipping? hhmmmm..

10:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter said...

I hereby nominate Jon for a prize in the category of Most Appealing Husband (-To-Be) with a Hand Knit.

And yeah, I say the hippo just needs to eat a few more donuts to pork up her hind end and offset the forward cant. It's a dangerous propensity for a riverbank dweller to be always helplessly tipping over on her face.

12:17 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I's say she's snout heavy, and all the more cute for it!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think you need to make another hippo. :-)

9:32 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I like the "beans in hippo's butt" suggestion--and not just for the comic value!
Sounds like you should test it out, it looks like someone needs a hippo...
So cute, Carrie! ;)

12:43 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

awe, he is so cute!

11:21 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Oh, Jon looks like he needs his own hippo! So cute!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

How can you give away a Hippo that has looked into his soul? That seems cruel.

Shouldn't Cassie get her own hippo?

ps - maybe a little bit of sand (maybe in nylon?) inserted in the hippo's 'nether region' to balance her?

4:56 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

I learnt the hard way about crocheting/knitting soft toys in front of men. I already had to make a second monkey, I'm working on my second Elijah.

That Hippo is very cute - I better hide the pics from Mr B.

10:07 PM  
OpenID thinkingmama said...

So perfect! Babies need stuffed animals that aren't bunnies or bears!
(says she who knit her daughter a bunny but is knitting a cute round crab for a newborn baby boy she knows)

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Mintyfresh said...

i LOVE the hippo, especially because her nose tips her forward. aw, clumsy, awkward hippo! couldn't be any cuter.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Meg said...

This picture is worth a thousand words. Hilarious!!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Alexis said...

Awww! What a cute big-snouted hippo!

If I ever start making stuffed animals, I don't think my fiance will ever let me give any of them away. LOL!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

it puts a smile on my face when i see the "goodbye" pic..LOL

thanks for the "o-so-sad".

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home