new banner

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Two for two!

With exactly four months to go, I'm done with two of my four attendant shawls. This one is hung from the Christmas lights on our fire escape for your viewing pleasure.


Seeing as I finished the first one a month ago, that's not a bad pace. While the first was the Simple Yet Effective shawl, this is the Easy Triangle Shawl. (Simple? Easy? See where we are going here?) I must admit that this was more fun to knit than the last one -- totally memorizable but also varied enough to keep my mind engaged. I'm using Plymouth Encore because September might be too muggy for pure wool. (I also really dug this color.)

Anyone want to recommend triangular shawl number three?

Jon's mom stayed with us for Memorial Day, and her visit inspired me to gussy up our beloved fire escape. Such enthusiastic hydrangeas!

And what a charming, um, whatever this plant is!


Oh, and by the time you read this, I'll have turned 32. It's already a great birthday -- my mom sent me one of her patented, fabulous care packages, which I opened a few hours early. (With her on the phone, of course.) How many moms can pick out the perfect fitted jacket?

17 Comments:

Blogger Marlyn said...

Looks like lobelia to me.

1:02 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Happy birthday! And great job cranking out those shawls!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wow, shawl two done already? And I can't even finish a pair of socks? It's lovely. Happy Birthday!

8:23 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

happy birthday!! i love all of your shawls so far. your attendants are going to be lovely.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Happy birthday!
I'm glad to hear that you are not making the same shawl over and over. It would have been pretty on your attendants (is that the new word for bridesmaid? I don't know anything about weddings), but very boring to knit!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

I love that you're making your attendants different yet matching shawls!

Happy birthday!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Happy birthday, Carrie!

I am just about finished knitting two Sunday Market Shawls (rectangular, sorry) in a row, and I am dying of boredom. Good for you for choosing different ones. This is a great (generous) idea!)

9:00 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh wow I didn't realize that it was a different shawl for each gal, what a great idea. I'm recommending the Shetland Triangle in a dk weight:)

9:19 AM  
Anonymous danielle said...

Happy birthday (or happy belated birthday, as the case may be). Congrats on reaching the halfway point with the shawls.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Happy birthday! No ideas for another triangle shawl, but I'm sure they'll all look smashing together!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

The blue plant is definitely a lobelia. Happy birthday - your last as an unmarried girl! - and congrats on knocking off another shawl! My suggestion is to pick a couple of really simple openwork patterns from a stitch dictionary and just wing it for the last two.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Happy belated birthday!!!

The shawl is lovely as is your flora!!

4:30 PM  
Blogger secrethandshake said...

wait wait wait
hydrangeas can grow in pots?!
I might go out to buy some to grow and then quickly kill in that case.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Christa Lee said...

do you remember the time i bought your mom a pot of grocery-store hydrangeas that died while we were having lunch? ah, memories. in any event, don't ever let me touch your fire escape plants, becuase i will CERTAINLY kill them.

i need to stop checking in here, because i'm getting too excited about the shawls. . . . both are beautiful!!!

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Craptina said...

I've been looking for a quick fix shawl myself- check out Eye of the Partridge on Ravelry, it's free and has a nice look to it.

Great job cranking the gifts out, your girlfriends are going to love them :)

2:37 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

those attendents are so darn lucky! i just love that you are doing this!!
happy late birthday! opening your gifts with your mom "near" sounds like something i/we would do. :)

9:10 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Happy belted Birthday! Very pretty shawls btw. I think your attendants will love it.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home