new banner

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Tried and true

I'm truly a creature of habit, downright predictable and boring. I must begin the day with half a cup of coffee and some kind of news, or else I'm cranky and impossible. Before I can fall asleep, I need to watch a minute or two of Letterman -- even if there is a writers' strike and the show is so old that the guest is Sinbad promoting "Houseguest."


When we go to my favorite restaurant, Fragole, I always order the rigatoni Firenze, but with the wheat fettucini instead of the rigatoni. I've essentially had the same hairstyle since the George H.W. Bush administration. I own three pairs of the same black pants from Express. And I only like one treadmill at my gym. There's just something about it.

And so it is with my knitting. I love knitting top-down raglans. The construction of them is fail-safe and fool-proof and numerous other hyphenated phrases. They always fit me and always produce a wearable finished object, which is more than i can say about any of my attempts at set-in sleeves or the like. (Emma and Trapeze Jacket, I'm looking at you!)


So I'm returning to my tried and true. I simply adore 28thirty by the gals at Zephyr Style. I've made three of their patterns already and have had nothing but good luck. Always fresh and crisp and super cute.


And here's my developing 28Thirty. (Any idea what the name means?)



I'm using my favorite workhorse wool, Cascade 220 in the rainier heather colorway. I find the colors and textures of the heather much more appealing than the standard 220. I used the pale green heather for my Forecast and find that sweater simultaneously soft and indestructible.

(And a shout out to Alpaca Direct, which had an extra skein in the same dye lot after I foolishly under purchased at Brooklyn Knit-a-Way.)

I'm also moving right along on my Loop Shawl. This is superb knitting for "The Wire."


But I won't be watching this Sunday, since the fiance is in Arizona (already!) to cover the Superbowl. We cannot bear to watch "The Wire" separately, so we caught this week's On Demand already. It's a good one -- and by good, I mean terrible things happen!

23 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

OOOooOOOooOOo...The Wire.

I have to watch the show twice, the first time I listen to the dialogue while knitting then I have to watch again just so that I'm positive about what's going on. SUCH A F+ing awesome show!

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Mintyfresh said...

Nothing wrong with knowing what you like and liking what you know--the 28thirty is going to be so cute on you!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

I assumed 28thirty was a nod to their (the zephyr gals) ages. I like your color choice, I am leaning more toward heathered yarns lately as well.

Is it just me, or has Knit-away done some serious inventory upgrading? It was very difficult leaving without that lace weight Malabrigo.

7:41 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

I agree with Minty, stick with what you like. I also am a gigantic fan of the Zephyr patterns, I just cast on a Juliet for my daughter. And isn't Knit-a-way a totally bizarre store? Have you ever asked to use the bathroom. A word of advice--DON'T!!!

7:42 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

If it works, it works. Nothing wrong with sticking with what you know.

8:47 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Yes, yes, if it's not broke, don't fix it! I, too, love a good top-down raglan. What a cute little jacket this is, too! I'm sure it'll be fast with that cropped length.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Sounds like you've found your area of expertise! That cardi is going to be cute :)

4:13 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Yeah, sometimes going with what you know is the way to go. Besides you've always had success with them. 28Thirty is a cute pattern and will look adorable on you.

12:43 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

there's definitely nothing wrong with being a creature of habit! if top-down raglans work for you, then by all means, knit them! :)

(p.s. there was only one elliptical machine that i liked at my gym. i always got mad when someone else was on it.)

10:37 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

We starting watching The Wire through NetFlix this past summer. Awesome show! I'm from Baltimore so it's fun to see familiar places. We're about half way through season 3 - but I'm reading about season 5 in TV guide and such - sounds like a good one!

1:47 PM  
OpenID teamkaty said...

Just one treadmill, eh? You're too funny. 'Twas a Zephyr pattern that recently stuck a stake in my spokes, but I think I just don't have it in me to be a sweater girl. Sigh! I admire you for knowing your groove!

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also looking to do 28thirty - does it look like it would be easy to lengthen - I'm not sure I want it that cropped...?? I like the color you chose for yours!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Well, you look fantastic in every top down raglan you make, so go for it. That sweater is going to look so cute on you. Hmm, maybe it's time to take a page from your book and try one of their patterns--all of yours have been beautiful!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Kaet said...

you have fantastic results with your top downs, so i say go with what you know! i am a creature of habit myself...so i totally "get" that whole lifestyle!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

I have similar habits in my daily life. Sounds dull, but really it's comforting.

I think 28Thirty is going to be adorable.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous heather said...

ooh, shout out to fragole. i have been ordering takeout from there for two years and have never gotten anything but the rigatoni bolognese. hey - when you find a good thing, stick with it.
by the way - love that color of cascade.

5:32 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

i am such a creature of habit too. i always always always order the exact same thing at a restaurant. hey! stick with what you like! :)
thanks so much for linking the 28thirty. i haven't seen it before. and love it.
looks forward to seeing yours!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Nettie said...

I nominated you for the Make my day award!

1:08 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

I hear ya. I just like things how I like them. Is that so wrong? :) I can't wait to see this cardi...this pattern has been on my mind lately.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Craptina said...

Nice loop shawl! Can't wait to see it on you, is it blocking?

I have not yet tried the heather, though I am a big fan of the 220. Will give it a try on your recommendation.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hey, you know what they say....If it ain't broke.....

4:31 PM  
OpenID thinkingmama said...

28Thirty looks like such a great patter but it might be short for me and I can't decide if I'd like it if it were longer. Hmmmm I love the color you chose and I can't wait to see yours finished!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I am so glad we are not the only couple who HAS to watch the tele together.

Nothing wrong with knowing what you like!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home