new banner

Monday, December 03, 2007

Finally, a sweater I can finish

This is my kinda sweater. About three inches tall and completed over the course of two episodes of "Sex and the City." (Poor Jon. He hears the theme music and literally groans in disgust.)



I'm going to my first-ever tree trimming next week, and the hostess specifically requested something handknit. Enter Ravelry: sooo many adorable patterns for tree ornaments. But this one really captured my eye, mostly because it includes the teeniest, tiniest raglan shaping.

It's the tiny sweater pattern from Everwhelming Liz. I struggled a little with the pattern -- didn't realize it was knit in the round for about 14 rows, dimwit that I am -- but the results are very cute. And she has a cute little sock pattern that's probably next on m'list.

Obviously, I'm knitting little ornaments to avoid the trapeze jacket. Cannotfacethesecondsleeve. Hopefully these will get me out of my rut.

Or these will. Inspired by Veronique, I ordered a "Built by Wendy" pattern for the Simplicity site. And shipping is free! (Seriously, free shipping is the reason for the season.) I picked out some darling-if-loud Dandy Damask fabric by Michael Miller at Brooklyn General. They're open on Mondays during the holiday season. (Extended hours are also the reason for the season!)

And this is a good thing, since our old friend Fabric Sav-a-thon is closing! I stopped by today, thinking maybe I could pick up some cute Christmas-y fabric, and the place looked like a bomb had gone off -- and all that survived were elderly women (and me). Patterns were just 99 cents, but I had to elbow fabric-crrrrrazy ladies to get even a peek. And those women were surprisingly strong. Then once I did get my grubby hands on the patterns, I realized they were mostly scarecrow Halloween costumes, quilted vests featuring woodland creatures and Jessica McClintock evening gowns. Not my speed. There might be some real bargains on notions or knick-knacks or craft supplies, but I wasn't in a scavenger place.

Now, we all know that I have a rather mixed history with FS-a-T. But it's sad to see an inexpensive option just disappear.

19 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I love that little sweater! How nice for a handknit ornament to be requested.

Too bad about the Fabric store. I like have inexpensive options too.

11:33 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Cute sweater! I've been knitting my own version (top-down seamless raglan). It's amazing how addictive they are!

7:39 AM  
Blogger virginia said...

Love the tiny sweater! I'm glad you found something that was quick to knit- it'll be a great gift. I may have to knit one for Austin since he wants a sweater, but I won't budge on the Sweater Hex- this might the test, right?

9:54 AM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

I saw Everwhelming Liz at knit night last week and saw those itty-bitty socks and sweaters in person! They're so cute. I'm sure yours will look great on the tree! Hope you have fun at the tree trimming!

10:16 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

The sweater is adorable!! I'm sad to hear the news about FS-a-T, I wonder if that's all the stores or just the Bk one?

7:10 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

How funny, I saw that pattern yesterday and thought about what a cute lil present it would make. Great minds think alike!:)

7:39 PM  
Blogger gleek said...

oh god, i think that i'm totally going to have to make those for my family for christmas!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Kiersten said...

That's too funny-- I tried the same pattern this weekend, not realizing it was supposed to be in the round, which would make sense. At least you figured it out, and didn't throw yours down in disgust-- like I did!!! I will have to give it another try now!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Kaet said...

that sweater ornament is really amazing! such teeny tiny knitting in the round! i am sure it will be a hit at your party...and love the patterns...can't wait to see what you make!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

Cute! I made one last year from last minute knitted gifts- it definitely took me longer than an hour, probably because I had no idea what I was doing. Maybe I should try the raglan- maybe it's faster?

BTW- I put the SATC theme song on my phone as the ringtone. I can send it to you if you want. Your boyfriend will go crazy :)

10:46 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

That's a cute little sweater too. I could see how you might want to be diverted from your regular task at hand.

11:32 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

You're going to sew something cute and make me want to start sewing, aren't you?

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Teamkaty said...

Oh, dammit--was it the Fulton store, or the one on the other side of the park? When is the "sewing trend" going to result in some more fabric stores, I wonder??

Love the little sweater! I've got some mini-mittens on tap, myself.

5:00 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

love the mini sweater.
my daughters barbie's would love it! :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I wonder what BBW pattern you're getting... Where are you going to get fabric? :(

10:25 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Cute little sweater!
I just started the Trapeze Jacket last night....ummmm...it's not sounding like a lot of fun - but it is soo cute.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Faith! said...

So precious! That tiny thing is awesome! Too bad about the sav-a-thon- I guess I'll never be in the loop now! Thanks for the birthday wishes! So many exclamation points!

12:30 AM  
Blogger Worstedknitt said...

How cute! Must try one of those.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Cute sweater!! I love teeny knits!

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home