new banner

Monday, October 22, 2007

Self-indulgent Rhinebeck post

We came. We saw. We ate.


Here lie the remnants of the decadent apple crisp that Jess and I shared at Rhinebeck. This followed fried artichoke hearts, cheeseburgers and cider -- and preceded kettle corn and stomach aches on the ride home.

The Spiders decided to divide and conquer at the festival this year -- actually, I just couldn't get Saturday off work and convinced a few suckers to go with me on Sunday instead. Here are Katy, Jess, Jess and I taking a breather (note the empty cider next to me).



In terms of knitting celeb sightings, we watched as bloggers mobbed Ravelry mama Frecklegirl like a bunch teen-age girls swooning over the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. (Of course, we joined the mob.) Sadly, we didn't see our fave knitting celeb, the grandfatherly gentleman from Morehouse. And even more sadly, we learned their store is closing! They're going, like, totally virtual. This is a true knitterly atrocity, especially since their website isn't the slickest and some of the pages have pictures covering text.

(For a pic of Grandpa Morehouse, go here and click on the pic labeled "irresistible." I'm not kidding.)

Anyway, before I reveal my yarn haul, I insist that you take in the lovely, autumnal scenery. We don't see too much of this in the city and were all agog over it.


Ok, my haul. The top row is Morehouse 3-strand in a positively radiant and nearly translucent lilac. Maybe for an accessory of some kind? Underneath that, I picked up two skeins of Shelridge Farms Soft Touch in a color reminiscent of Italian ice. It's delightfully squishy and destined for a shawl or wrap. And on the bottom, perhaps predictably, I have three skeins of Brooks Farm four play in a yummy violet. See Sandra, I'm on my way to having a yarn stash!


Oh, and another thing -- Go Sox!

23 Comments:

Blogger An Abundance of Lisa said...

The food, the yarn, and the autumnal scenery all looks delicious! Sounds like you had a great day! I wish I could have been there!

2:39 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Ah, beautiful! The weather, the scenery, ... the stash!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I'm making Forecast with FourPlay right now, and I loooooove this yarn. I want to marry it I love it so much.

Note to self: go to Rhinebeck next year.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Katie said...

Oh! Then I TOTALLY saw grandpa Morehouse - I didn't know that was him. At the store, 6pm Saturday. He was lounging outside, ushering folks inside.

Your yarn is lovely! I agree, the website isn't nearly as inviting as the store (not that I'd ever go to the store but for Rhinebeck. Which is probably the problem.)

9:30 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Oh, what a cute little stash :) If you feed it, it will grow...

9:51 AM  
Blogger Kaet said...

thanks for posting carrie so those of us who cannot attend can live through your pictures! the yarns you are starting a stash with are incredible! good work!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

What fabulous yarns to stash! I love having a basket full o' inspiration. I'm glad you had fun at Rhinebeck and, of course, I'm jealous!

12:06 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

That apple crisp was so tasty wasn't it? Looks like a great day, and a lovely beginning stash!! Such sad news about morehouse though...

12:17 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yes, good thing you had such great weather for enjoying yarn shopping in. I like all your purchases. Is it really called four play? Sounds decadent.

1:24 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

It looks like you got some pretty new yarns, which are lovely. A little stash, but not too much.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

It looks like you had a fantastic time!

5:31 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

Wait, they're closing? I love that old gent!:(

The picture of the four of you is completely and utterly cute!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Carrie, you got some great things! I love the colors you chose. The Morehouse merino is always a treat - I loved working with their laceweight recently. Cute picture of you all :)

7:34 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

looks like a good time was had by all! sorry that i missed it :(

9:32 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Sounds like you guys had fun. And you don't have a stash? You're so good. My stash is ridiculous :( Well, you've made lovely steps towards one on this trip!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Well - congratulations on building a stash!

Rhinebeck looked fantastic. I have major fibre envy from seeing so many blog posts about Rhinebeck.

4:51 PM  
Blogger jess said...

i am still recovering from my stomach ache, but it was worth it!! thanks for being such great rhinebeck company :)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I think my stomach still hurts too--it's been out of sorts all week! Good times, nothing like eating yourself sick with your pals whilst spending loads of money on yarn. Hooray, Rhinebeck!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Oregongirl82 said...

Couldn't tell you how I stumbled across your blog, but once I landed her and read this I just had to tell you, that's a gorgeous autumn pic you've got there!

And in response to your closing comment ... did you see the Sox play that awesome first World Series game last night?!? I did ;) Let's hope they can keep it up!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Thanks, Carrie, for the comment on my blog about the henley. I searched for an email address for you, but couldn't find one, so I'm commenting on a post of yours that I've already commented on! Sorry about that ;)

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Katy said...

Heh, was I the only one who made it back without a tummyache? What can I say, the kid likes junk...

That chick in the glasses and dark vest passing behind us looks like she's been caught incognito!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

sorry i missed you! we were there on saturday. i didn't buy much...but ate a LOT!!! Fried artichokes and apple crumb...so yummy!!!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous craptina said...

Nice haul! I wish I had been thre but my ever-hungry stash must be kept at bay.....Next year we shall burst from fried artichokes :)

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home