new banner

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Now they've really done it

This can't be good for us. Martha Stewart has created a no-knit scarf pattern. And it's damn cute.


She's also got a no-stitch cross-stitch votive. What's next? The no-crochet toilet paper doll cover? The no-macrame macrame wall hanging?

Anyway. If I seem cranky, it's due in large part to the Boston Red Sox, who are clearly losing in an attempt to upend my tranquil home life. The playoffs are the only time that I actually care about baseball, and it's been a rather miserable series. (If you are interested in my future brother-in-law's far more trenchant thoughts on the matter, you can read here.)

Really, I'm interested in sports mostly for the mascots. That's why I went to Maryland -- just try to find a more mirthful mascot than the Terp. He posed for Christmas cards every year, for heaven's sake. But lately I've been more about Wally, who apparently has his own blog. Here is our Wally, perched next to the television where we keep watching the Sox lose. He's always so pleasant.


OK, enough of the stream of consciousness. I'm making only glacial progress on my Trapeze jacket, even though it's the official knitting project of The Wire, which we are obsessed with. I'll have to bring it along this weekend for Rhinebeck!!

And can I ask -- does anybody else tear up at those Liberty Mutual commercial where people see someone performing a good deed, then feel inspired to do something nice for someone else? (Like a neighbor stops a couch from falling out of a moving truck onto an elderly woman or something, then someone who witnesses that prevents a pizza delivery man from walking straight into a semi?) Why are these making me so emotional?

20 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I love that scarf!!!

The mere idea of the tp cozy is too much for me though....

You are absolutely not the only one who gets emotional over those commercials. I can hear the music start up & be in the other room & I start to get all misty eyed.

11:20 PM  
Blogger www.goneknitting.typepad.com said...

Well, I don't think that sounds all that fun to make- Pinning on Styrofoam and tying knots? We have a better gig going with our 2 needles. Don't you agree?

12:19 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

I think maybe she's missing the point -- isn't the fun of making the scarf in the knitting?

And you're not the only one. I tear up at about half of the commercials I see. I'd blame hormones, but it happens all month.

7:48 AM  
Blogger  said...

I don't tear up at those commercials, but I love them SO much. It makes me happy.

Oh, and the Terps and the Red Sox?! You rock, pretty much.

8:30 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

:) i haven't watched a commercial in at least a year. thank goodness for DVRs!

10:30 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

Yeah, it's definitely the music in those commercials. I tear up too, and usually the only thing that can make me cry is the end of "Homeward Bound" when that dang dog comes walking over the hill at the end. Otherwise, I am hardcore.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

That scarf does look cool but it does NOT look fun to make. And knitting is always fun, right? ;) I'd much rather knit than tie knots- although my husband always refers to knitting as "tying a bunch of knots."

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Vicki said...

Those commercials made me so emotional and teary that I downloaded the song (Cat Power - How Can I Tell You) and now whenever it comes on, I get even tearier.

I wonder why it's so unusual and heart-wrenching to see people doing nice things for one another?

4:10 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

You scared me for a second...I thought the season had already started! The Wire is truly the best show in TV.

6:08 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

Oh I just love that Terp!! My fave: Wisconsin's Bucky...

7:37 PM  
Anonymous christa said...

GO ROCKIES! who could be cuddlier than the rock? i'm salivating at the prospect of a rock/wally matchup. (speaking of cuddly, that's a mighty cuddly pit bull your commenter casey has . . . almost as cuddly as mine).

8:11 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the Wire too! We've only seen the first two seasons though. I have the third on DVD.

That is a cute "no-knit" scarf. That Martha...

10:32 AM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

I agree with some of the others--I'd rather knit the scarf! Martha can keep her styrofoam.

5:28 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

I kind of like the scarf too - shame on me huh?

Those ads get me too, I think I have a strong desire for the world to actually be that way - maybe it is in a small way (I can hope eh?).

12:11 PM  
Blogger Kaet said...

i did not know you are a terp! i am an honorary terp- my longtime beau was a terp and i was a u of delaware blue hen, therefore spent a lot of time at UMCP, and acquired a disturbing amount of terp paraphanalia! have fun at rhineback and love the scarf!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I never used to tear up at commercials until I got pregnant. Girly is going to be four in just over two months and I'm still tearing up.

I hope you are having a blast at Rhinebeck!

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Katie said...

Those commercials are awesome! I'll pause DVR just to watch them. I have to say SOME of the commericals out there are better than the acutal TV programs, IMHO.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Karen Olson said...

This no-knit scarf is something even I could do. Cute!

And the Red Sox pulled it off, so things must be happy happy happy in your house as it is in mine!

And did you know The Wire's new season is focusing on newspapers? Great piece with David Simon in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/22/071022fa_fact_talbot

6:28 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Oh those make me tear up too! But...usually I will get emotional at long distance ads too.
arghh - It's happening now while I'm thinking about it!

Dratted estrogen.

4:50 PM  
Blogger anneland22 said...

I just made that beastly martha scarf in 25 mins...It was kinda fun but hasn't cured me of my knitting fever. I perfer the control of two sticks over my macrame knotting abilities. Wasn't a complete waste of yarn since it is feeling warm enough for me in Ventura CA.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home