new banner

Monday, October 08, 2007

It's all about common ground

Those Mars and Venus people could take a lesson from us.

Jon and I drove up Friday night to visit his parents in Massachusetts and attend his 10 year reunion, which we were excited about. But we were driving on I-91North when the Red Sox were playing, which we were not so excited about. Let me be clear about this: in order to survive, Jon would need to hear this game. So I had to repeatedly search for AM stations carrying the match-up, then 20 miles later find another one when the signal faded out. For once, I was the long-suffering girlfriend.

But I decided to make the best of it, knitting by the light of my cell phone. And thanks to some children's Dramamine, I was finally able to make some progress on my trapeze jacket. (The Ultra Alpaca has a tendency to shed, I must say.)


Not to be outdone, Jon showed incredible restraint and patience as well, allowing me to wear this dress to his reunion. I was channeling my inner Rhoda, which I seem to do an awful lot. I just felt like we should be the kooky couple from Brooklyn.

The spirit of cooperation continued throughout the weekend, as Jon discovered a new way to incorporate his love for baseball with my love for wine. Who'd have thunk it -- in Massachusetts, baseball players have their own!

That's just "Manny Being Merlot." Yeah, it's a little bit strange.

And at long last, we were able to meld baseball and knitting beyond an annual Stitch N' Pitch. Here's my new Lowell Spinners T-shirt, perhaps designed specifically with the two of us in mind.


And theeeeeee Yankees lost a few minutes ago. So peace and tranquility reign in our home. Now, back to my knitting.

29 Comments:

Anonymous Sandra said...

the sweet nectar of the yankee fans' tears was just the think i needed to put the spring back in my step after a horrific week! :D

you look cute as a bug! lovely dress, i really really like it.

umm, that wine? Brilliant.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Shayla said...

That dress is sooo cute! I work at H&M here in Richmond, VA and you're the first person I've seen it on-you look awesome!

12:58 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Inner Rhoda, LOL!

But I agree, you look super-cute in it.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Mintyfresh said...

I wholeheartedly support your desire to be the cool couple from Brooklyn--if I were to go to my high school reunion, I would clearly wear something all black and totally "urban" to distinguish me as someone to got away from the burbs and has lived in a City since college :) (A college reunion wouldn't inspire such efforts.)

7:59 AM  
Anonymous stinkerbell said...

I think that dress looked incredible on you!! :)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

The inner Rhoda works--and I LOVE the Lowell Spinners shirt!

8:47 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

children's dramamine works, huh? i'll have to remember that! that dress is lovely.

9:41 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

LOVE that dress!!! You really wear it well....you look fantastic!
Sounds like a great weekend!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Maya said...

I love that dress!

And knitting in a dark car by cell phone light is a good idea - I knit in the pitch dark on our drive home from upstate NY late last night. It did not go so well...:-)

12:50 PM  
Blogger Yarn Coffee said...

Who wouldn't wear that dress? It looks darling on you! I'm more of a Mary Taylor Moore myself. I think few people could pull off that dress and you showed them all.

Also, love the idea of the wine. Was it yummy?

1:04 PM  
Blogger PassionKNITly said...

Did I realize there was a bit of a sox fan in you!?

I'm sure your hubby knows of the Lighthouse Tavern on Fifth and Carroll in Park Slope - it's a sox bar. I'll be there for every game if we make it to the series. However, the knitting (ghasp!) won't.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

How brave, not sure what kind of wine a baseball player could produce. I like the dress a lot!

1:53 PM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

Yay for the dress! You look fabulous and I'm sure it was a hit at the reunion! You can never look too good at those kinds of events, I think. Sounds like you had a great weekend!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Aah, I never realized Rhoda was quite so fabulous! That's the best way to show up at a reunion - stunning in a head turning dress. I'm sure Jon was just stifling his inner grin...

3:50 PM  
Blogger Karen Olson said...

I've known about the Mary Tyler Moore obsession, but not Rhoda...but of course this is a Rhoda dress and not a Mary dress (we've been watching MTM on DVD, my daughter loves it!).

And happy to know that Jon's on the right side of the baseball fandom. But did not realize that ... ahem... he's so young...unless of course this was a college reunion?

4:19 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Rhoda never looked so good. You're missing your macrame maxi-vest!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Kaet said...

i think the dress is fabulous! it looks so funky and cute! i am really jealous you were able to knit in the car...dramamine knocks me out and i can't even flip through a magazine without getting sick...

6:23 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

Yes Rhoda, WORK IT! And what good is a trip to Boston without the word 'wicked' making an appearance?!!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That is such a cute dress!

I like that T-shirt too.

Glad peace is restored at your house.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Faith! said...

Ahh ha ha! The "kooky couple" comment made me crazy-laugh in the cubicle. You're lucky; it's a lot less endearing to be the "kooky single person" at events like these!

9:57 AM  
Blogger www.goneknitting.typepad.com said...

Wow it sounds like you are living life! You look fabulous!

10:46 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Fabulous dress on you darhhhlin'. aaaaand, how was the dreaded reunion anyway?

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Hilari said...

Love the dress, but to really make the Rhoda conversion, you need to get the funky headwrap!

2:01 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

That dress is adorable - you look so metropolitan :) I'm coveting that T shirt.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Dude, you were smokin' in that dress - I don't know what Jon would have had to complain about! And Go Sox.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

You look lovely in the dress!

The wine is a little odd but different can be good. It could crack a few people up!

7:31 PM  
Blogger lomester said...

That dress is adorable! You guys work so well together, we should all take a note.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

That dress is fantastic!!! You looks so cute!

The wine is a bit more than strange. How did it taste?

10:28 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

us met fans think you guys brag too much!

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home