new banner

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Just one thing

Ever been so tickled by one little detail of a pattern that you just had to make it? Maybe despite your better judgment? So it was with me and this crochet tunic.

I present to you this adorable pocket. This was why I had to make it. Such a cute pocket!



The pattern calls for the (back from the dead) Cotton Ease, but I was home with my folks and couldn't find it or any other decent cotton. So I picked up a whole heckuva lot of Sugar n Cream (and yes, that was the exact yardage.) Something possessed me to buy it in a shade of retina-searing green. Why warning flags weren't raised at this point, I'm not sure.

Mercifully, the pattern is nearly all triple crochet, meaning super fast and great "Little House on the Prairie" knitting. (Mom and I saw an excellent one in which Willie falls for a humble farm girl and purposefully fails a college entrance exam so that he can stay in Walnut Grove and marry the lass. You can only imagine how his mom took it!)

Ahem. So I finished the tunic in record time and, well, it shows. (Mom would like you to forgive us the leafless tree in the background. They fear it's dying and have called the resident tree doctor.)


Downright garrish, I know. But maybe I can wear it as a beach cover-up? I won't even raise an eyebrow at my beloved Coney Island!

Speaking of outrageousness, this weekend was our first annual Spiders Summer Gala. I was honestly nostalgic for it before it was even over. Virginia was a fabulous hostess, which came as no surprise since she'd taken home first place at her company's bake-off for strawberry rhubarb pie, for heaven's sake. I can't even convey how great the vegetarian buffet was, outdone only by the game of "Spiders Jeopardy."


A pic of Team Awesome Kick-Ass -- including me, Sandra, Jess, Kathy, and Steph -- swiped with permission from Tres Chic Veronique

It was a beautiful night on a lovely rooftop, made even more sparkling by our tiaras. I felt like true knitterati!

23 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

The tunic looks very cute on you! If I actually crocheted, I'd also be suckered in by that pocket.

9:33 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Adorable little pocket! I'd be sucked in by just such a feature. I think it'd definitely work as a bathing suit cover-up -- look at it this way, at least people will be able to spot you quickly if you get separated from the group!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Little details like that always get me too! I think it is quite cute - not too garish either. It looks cute and mod.

What a fun gathering! I love all of the tiaras!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Love the tunic! You can totally rock that, even outside of Coney Island.

And that Spiders gala sounds fantastic. LOVED the trivia questions on Veronique's blog - so creative!

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Kirsten said...

That is a great tunic - love those pockets :) And it looks like everyone had fun at the gala!

11:02 AM  
Blogger An Abundance of Lisa said...

I don't think that tunic is garish at all!! I love the pocket details.

The Summer Gala was so fun... can't wait to do it again.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous craptina said...

the pocket is adorable- If I crocheted, I might have casted on as well.....You look less than happy in that phot, but I hope to get to see it in person sometime!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I definitely say that it looks like a great beach cover up. I have my own (an Ogee Lace Skirt) in a bright color that I wouldn't wear many other places.....And the pockets might be perfect for collecting beach treasures.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

Very cute! Wear it wherever you want, this is Brooklyn! I know you have seen much worse than "eye searing green" on the streets ;) I had to leave my pockets off because i left a little vent on one side so my booty wasn't squeezed, lol. Yours makes me want to add at least on pocket though.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

i personally think that tunic is awesome! so not garish. quite mod actually. and this is new york for pete's sake. i could walk around with a diaper strapped to my head and no one would blink (maybe the tourists a little) either way.

that party was good times. i wish it never ended, it was so much fun. . .

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Katy said...

Aww, it's cute! I'm a sucker for a cute pocket too--I'll have to show you one of my all-time favorite homemade dresses someday, complete with big round patch pockets.

You can almost see the pockets here:
http://teamkaty.typepad.com/photos/miscellany/bag_and_dress.html

1:34 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

The tunic is fabo, and if anyone can pull if off, you can.

I have no idea what kind of face I'm pulling in that picture - oh well! It was much fun wasn't it?

5:51 PM  
Blogger tentenknits said...

Your tunic is cute!! And I love your fun knitting parties - i'm jealous of all the spider fun! (and the tiaras!)

7:38 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

Oh man, 'LHOTP' knitting, that is perfect! My ex-husband's cousins used to watch 'La petite maison dans la prairie' all the time in Morocco, so when one of them went to college in Mankato, they had all heard of it, naturally!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Kaet said...

thanks so much for your help with my pattern problems! looks like you guys had a fun party!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Deneen said...

I still think it's cute (although the pics are not coming up for me, but I saw it on Ravelry).

We see a lot of "Little House" here due to a 7 year old who happens to love the show-I've seen that Willie one about 4 times in the past year!

8:11 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Ooh! It's very Jan Brady! Wait, no--Marcia. Marcia was groovier, right? And it just wouldn't be the same in any other color. I would have totally been sucked in by those pockets, too.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Ninabeena said...

Oh, I saw this pattern thru Lion Brand newletter and wanted to make it in Black. I bet it would b really cute in Black with a colored tank and tights underneath. something to think about. I love those pockets. I think yours is perfect for the beach.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Faith! said...

This is so cute! You're right, the pockets make it. Fantastic color, great execution- mind if I link to it?

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

Get yourself a packet of Rit dye - it's totally salvageable!

Also - great blog - I've added you to my blogroll.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

That pocket would have gotten me, too. And as for the color, I do like me a bright greenish-yellow.... You look adorable and summery in it. Hmm, do we need a Spiders trip to Coney Island?

1:21 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

I bought the crap out of that exact same color of Sugar n Cream. It's awesome.

I think it's a cute little cover up- and it's like a super cover up thanks to the little pockets :)

I'm so jealous- I never get to wear a tiara!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

The tunic is adorable! It would be a perfect beach coverup too. The pocket is super cute.

Looks like lots of fun in your tiara's.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home