new banner

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's curtains, I tell ya!

Well hello there!


Much like my Fisher Price friend here, I've been spending more time at the sewing machine than with my knitting needles lately. It's almost too hot to knit nowadays. This weather is really only suitable for loafing, puttering and frittering. And good news! It's only supposed to get more miserable as the week goes on.

How hot is it? Well, perhaps this was the dumbest thing I did this week. I was on an assignment Saturday and sweat so badly that I got into my car, hid underneath a beach blanket and changed shirts. Then I hung my repugnant shirt on the car's air conditioning until it dried. Thing is, I was on the upper West Side. This kinda behavior could have gotten me arrested.

Anyway! I spent the week sewing festive new curtains. I picked up this loud fabric while I was at home -- it's for the bedroom and really makes the sage walls pop. They also match my grandmother's afghan.


I also bravely returned to Fabric Save-A-Thon and picked up more gingham. You can't beat the price -- just $2.99 a yard. This is for my little craft area, which is coming along slowly but surely.


I'm wondering now if curtains make for a boring post. But they're like the eyeshadow of a room!

20 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Pretty fabric!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Not boring at all. You did a great job and I love the purple print!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Such cute curtains!

10:11 PM  
Blogger sappmama said...

Every word's a purl and seam is a dream! Sew on. It's the best. Especially during the summer months. If you make more hip, beautiful curtains, let us see. :)

1:41 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

love the curtains! great choices :)

6:49 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Love them!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Loafing, puttering and frittering are much nicer activities than bitching and moaning about the heat! Good for you for finding something constructive to do. I've been trying to slog through. I knit on the floor of the house with NO air-conditioning (because the cats are on the floor WITH the a/c and that's where TiVo lives), and it has been a challenge.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Shouldn't that be "It's coit'ns"? ;)

I love thinking about curtains as the eyeshadow of a room. So charming.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous craptina said...

what about the tops? Did you go so far to make valences too? I hope your trip to sav-a-thon was without incident. I too am up for making curtians, is is definitely NTO a borging post.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Both of those curtains are adorable. Love the ribbon on the gingham ones too!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Kaet said...

the curtains are really cool! love the funky bedroom curtain fabric. don't worry about your uws shirt changing, i live on the uws and in riverside park yesterday i was shoving tissues into my bra to soak up the sweat! this heat is crazy right?

4:50 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

Loafing, puttering and frittering are my personal specialties...and thanks for featuring my favorite Fisher-Price person ever on your blog. I love her!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

The curtains are cute and all that..but the Fisher Price Chica makes the post!

Thanks for the smile.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Katy said...

Oh--that's the "mommy" peg lady! My mom kept all my early '70s F-P, and it's so fun to watch my niece play with it.

Your curtains are FAB.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Hilari said...

Loves those curtains! They're so festive and cute!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Karen Olson said...

"Eyeshadow of the room." I LOVE that line. You should be a writer... :)

9:43 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

The eyeshadow, indeed! I, for one, am thrilled by your curtain post!
Hey, I'm working Saturdays in your 'hood now, over at BG--come visit me if you get a chance!

2:36 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Eyeshadow of the room!! Love it. And I love the post and the curtains, I'm guessing the trip back to save-a-thon wasw less evenful this time.

3:34 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Those curtains are really cute! Love the fabric of both. And the crocheted dress is awesome. I know so many of my co-workers kept having boys, what's with that? yay for little girls!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

I love your curtains! Almost as much as I love that Fisher Price lady sitting at her sewing machine -- which I have never seen before! (you just gave me a great idea for a future post too - thanks)

Curtains do not make for a dull post. Pshaw. I love the gingham.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home