new banner

Friday, July 13, 2007

A doomed peacock resurrected!

Perhaps I'm a head case. But when I read about the fate of a peacock on Staten Island, all I could think is, "Wouldn't it be great to crochet a peacock's resplendent plumage?" So, yeah, I did.


Ain't he grand? Really, crocheting this was all about the tail feathers. So take a gander:



So, in the latest in my series of my newsworthy knits, here is the doomed Staten Island Peacock. (Totally improvised and perhaps not well thought out. But I'm at my parents' house for vacation, so I'm not feeling too cerebral.)

Materials:
Body: Classic Elite Provence in bright blue, portion of skein
Plumage: Brooks Farm Four Play in Amy colorway
Feet and mouth: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in gray, small amount
Or whatever peacock-colored yarns you have in your stash
US G/6 crochet hook
Yarn needle
Small amount stuffing
2 black buttons

Gauge:
Who cares? It’s a stuffed animal.

Abbreviation:
sc = single crochet
2sc = two singles crochets
sc2tog = single crochet two together, decreasing a stitch.

Body:
Ch 15, slip stitch to form a ring
Rnd 1: Sc around.
Rnd 2: Two sc in first stitch, sc in next 7 stitches, two sc in next stitch, sc in next 6 stitches. (17 stitches)
Rnd 3: Two sc in first stitch, sc in next 8 stitches, two sc in next stitch, sc in next 7 stitches. (19 stitches)
Rnd 4: Two sc in first stitch, sc in next 9 stitches, two sc in next stitch, sc in next 9 stitches. (21 stitches)
Rnd 5: sc in each stitch (21 stitches)
Rnd 6: sc2tog, sc in next 9 stitches, sc2tog, sc in next 8 stitches. (19 stitches)
Rnd 7: sc2tog, sc in next 8 stitches, sc2tog, sc in next 7 stitches. (17 stitches)
Rnd 8: sc2tog, sc in next 7 stitches, sc2tog, sc in next 6 stitches. (15 stitches)
Rnd 9: sc2tog, sc in next 6 stitches, sc2tog, sc in next 5 stitches. (13 stitches)
Rnd 10: sc2tog, sc in next 5 stitches, sc2tog, sc in next 4 stitches. (11 stitches)
Rnd 11: sc2tog, sc in next 4 stitches, sc2tog, sc in next 3 stitches. (9 stitches)
Rnd 12-18: sc in each stitch. (9 stitches)
Rnd 19: Two sc in first stitch, sc in next four stitches, two sc in next stitch, sc in next three stitches. (11 stitches)
Rnd 20: Two sc in first stitch, sc in next five stitches, two sc in next stitch, sc in next four stitches. (13 stitches)
Rnd 21: Two sc in first stitch, sc in next six stitches, two sc in next stitch, sc in next five stitches. (15 stitches)
Rnd 22: Two sc in first stitch, sc in next seven stitches, two sc in next stitch, sc in next six stitches (17 stitches)
Rnd 23: Sc in each stitch around (17 stitches)
Rnd 24: Sc2tog, sc in next seven stitches, sc2tog, sc in next six stitches. (15 stitches)
Rnd 25: Sc2tog, sc in next two stitches, sc2tog, sc in next two stitches, sc2tog, sc in next two stitches. (9 stitches)
Rnd 26: Sc2tog, sc in next stitch, sc2tog, sc in next three stitches. ( 7 stitches)
Rnd 27: Sc2tog, sc2tog, sc in next stitch, sc2tog. (4 stitches)
Pull yarn through remaining stitches. Weave in end.

Plumage:
Ch 22.
Begin ripple pattern.
Rnd 1: Dc in fourth chain from hook, dc in three ch, 3dc in next chain, dc in next four chains, skip 2 chains, dc in next four chains, 3 dc in next chain, dc in next four chains.
Rnd 2: Ch4, turn. Dc in next four sc, 3dc in next sc, dc in next four sc, skip 2 sc, dc in next four sc, 3 dc in next sc, dc in next five sc.
Continue in this manner, increasing one stitch at each end of pattern, for five more rows.

Finishing:
Stuff peacock’s body. With embroidery needle and yarn, sew the trimmer end of plumage to the bottom of the peacock.

Feathers atop head:
Connect yarn to top of head.
Ch5. Four sc in last ch. Weave in ends.

Beak:
Ch2, turn.
2 sc in each st, turn.
2sc in first st, sc in next two st, 2sc in last stitch.
With embroidery needle and yarn, sew wide part of beak to face.
Sew on eyes.

Feet, make two:
Ch 7, turn.
Sc in six ch, four sc in last ch.

Oh, and in other crochet stuffie news, my mom and I worked up a little stuffed octopus. We're calling him Ocho! And he is mighty disagreeable.

23 Comments:

Anonymous Bee said...

Ocho is so cute! Disagreeable but what a cutie. The peacock looks awesome too. Once I figure out crocheting..i got to make me some cute plushies.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Pixiepurls said...

I'm still working on the first peice of my octo, I don't know how everyone crochet's them up so fast but I guess I'm slow!

8:17 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

The sour expression on the octopus' face just totally made me crack up.

So you're back in Western PA. Are you planning on venturing into the city at any point?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh gosh, those are so adorable!!!

9:46 AM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

You are a mad woman and I adore you!!

If only Sludgie were around to join in the fun:(

10:26 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Well at least you are giving the critters a wonderful memorial!

Love the peacock and the Octo! His grumpy face reminds me of the ghosts from packman!

10:33 AM  
Blogger schrödinger said...

You're a complete and utter nutter!!

You're missed at the Point.

11:33 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Wow.....so stinkin cute!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Sandra May Be Knitting A Ranch House said...

that octopus does look like the little ghosts from Pacman! So cute, the look on that face is priceless. :) Aww. . .

i can't believe you made that pattern up for that peacock. you are a mad genius

12:30 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I can't stop giggling. I am just picturing you, reading that article, and thinking, "hmmm. I wonder if I can crochet that!..."

Silly, but successful!

8:40 AM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

Ha, those are wonderful! I love Ocho, the angry octopus. You amassing quite the collection!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I am dying from all the cuteness. How hilarious. The octopus is so adorable--don't let him come near me, I will steal him, disagreeable or no!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Way too cute! Save the peacock!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love both! The Ocho is an inspired name. It reminds me of Dodgeball the movie. :-)

11:33 PM  
Blogger KeanaLee said...

LOve it! I read that story on msn.com last week, how sad!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous craptina said...

head case, definitely. Look at you whipping up the animals! You rock.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I love Ocho! He's darling (in a disagreeable, cranky sort of way, of course).

10:07 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ocho is so cute, and so very disagreeable!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter said...

The peacock is great, but I really love the disgruntled octopus! His expression is priceless.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Katie said...

That article about the peacock just makes me sick to my stomach. Who could do that????

I'm glad to see you've created a "memorial peacock." What a cutie.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Yarn Coffee said...

Soon you'll have a zoo!

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Leela said...

Hello,
Saw your cloud bolero and loved it, especially the length. What section of it did you knit to make it longer? My e-mail's verona_108@yahoo.com. Also, I've been reading your blog and am now just de-lurking to tell you that I like your projects.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

How awful - but your crochet peacock is fantastic.

I also love, love, love Ocho. His grouchy expression is great.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home