new banner

Friday, June 29, 2007

Swatch portrait makeover -- revealed!

We're heading away for the weekend, thank heavens, so I have the day off until we leave for D.C. Do I sleep in? No. Do I vegetate and watch Regis and Kelly? Nope. I wake up early and continue fiddling with my craft area.

I decided to go with swatch portraits a la Purl Patchwork. And I scooped up great fabrics there recently, thanks to a gift certificate from my dear Spiders. (My natural light is limited here, so forgive the photos.)



And did you notice this? I'm telling you, Russian dolls are the next big thing.


I used mostly greens and oranges. All are from Purl minus the flowery fabric on the upper right, which is a vintage pillow case, and the orange gingham, which is from Fabric Save-a-thon.

Now let me tell you a little story about my trip to the Save-a-thon. I decided that I wanted a few patterns, so I stopped by, even though the store was about the same temperature as the earth's core. I purchased all of my embroidery hoops there for a song. Then I turned my attention to the pattern table. I selected a few, then spent 45 minutes attempting to flag down an employee. She was strangely hostile to me, sarcastically telling me that she would be thrilled to help me. Then they didn't have two of the "Made by Wendy" patterns, so I settled for a few New Looks. But they wouldn't let me carry around the patterns, I guess for shoplifting reasons, which made picking out fabric and notions onerous.

I did find the cute orange gingham above, which I intend to turn into a cute top. But I got a touch of attitude from the man at the cutting counter, who wore a menacing Wile E. Coyote t-shirt.

"Sewing something for the kids?" he asked me.

"Um, no, it's for me," I answered.

"Oh," he said. "Well, no comment then."

Now, I don't see gingham as being childlike. At least not as childlike as, say, a Wile. E. Coyote tee-shirt.

24 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Wow. People can be real jerks can't they? Looks like you scored some good stuff anyway.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Kim said...

Wow, what that guy was a bizarro douche-bag! Seems like an unlikely choice for fabric store employee: leering creepy dude in a cartoon t-shirt. Nice fabric though and well worth the hassle I'd say.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Somebody wearing a Wile E. Coyote t-shirt has no room to comment on other people's tastes!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

I think I know the exact jerk you speak of (I go there a lot). I know the store is downtown Brooklyn and the area does not have a stellar rep but are many people looking to steal sewing patterns and fabric. I think they are a little too cautious.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Man,what jerks.

But your comment "menacing Wile E. Coyote t-shirt" made me laugh. :)

I love your swatch portraits!

1:55 PM  
Anonymous kaitlyn said...

man, I've got to do something about my craft corner soon!

Scathing review of Save-a-thon... hopefully the next visit will redeem them. You can get the Built By Wendy patterns from her stores, FYI. There are also a few left at BG, although i know they are a little overpriced. We had to by the at near retail :(

2:35 PM  
Blogger SJ said...

Yikes, that some attitude! Do you think the temperature in the store was starting to get to the employees just a little bit?

3:07 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Wow, when Jess and I went to Save A Thon, we had several employees trying to help us with patterns. And they helped me figure out what size to buy! They were nothing but friendly! There were more employees than shoppers!
You should try it again...

4:06 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

The portraits look fantastic!!

As for that place, I've been to 3 different locals (Manhattan, Qns and Bx). I've almost always found them to be unfriendly - and Amen to the heat in those places. But there are some real gems to be found, fabric and pattern-wise, sounds like you did good.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous bee said...

Your craft room is looking very nice! I love your swatch portraits.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Love these! I might have to copy you. That guy was a loser with poor taste. Gingham is for people of all ages!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Whoa - you meet the most galling people while you are shopping! That totally sucks.

I love the swatch display - what a fun idea, and so easy to switch up when the mood strikes.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

God, what a douche. I don't get why people have to be like that- not just miserable, but misery inducing.

He should buy some happy fabric and ditch that stupid shirt too...

10:15 PM  
Blogger Olgajazzy said...

Carrie, when are you in DC??
I would love to meet up =)

10:32 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

Sheesh!! Will E Coyote needs to GET REAL. Love your portraits, and I agree that Russian Dolls are the new owls, even though I am still way into owls...

11:00 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

I didn't know you were coming to DC...

6:42 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Love the portraits! And I've found a lot of employees at craft stores to be unfriendly, for some reason.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What annoying customer service, if it can be called that. I think it looks great.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Sandra May Be Knitting A Ranch House said...

people suck a lot sometimes, don't they? ahhh! never you mind them.

but very cute swatch portraits. i might have to copy ya.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Very sweet. And what is it with customer service?! I had the same problem with a local garden supply this weekend. The sales clerk rang up the man BEHIND me before me (he, at least had the manners to ask if it was alright with me once she had told him she would do so) because "men pacing while they are waiting to pay make (her) nervous."

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Katy said...

Snort. Try the one in Kensington? Still steamy, but at least the salespeople were subdued. Only Simplicity, New Look and Butterick, though (ugh! Butterick!)--I guess we're truly stuck for McCall's and Vogue.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous shannon said...

The craft area is super cute!

7:36 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Like my 8-year old nephew would say: "What a bunch of tube socks!"

Your swatch portraits are darling!

1:10 PM  
Blogger maritza said...

Ew, sorry to hear that. Maybe Wile E. Coyote t-shirt dude was trying to be funny in his own socially inept way. Or maybe all the employees there are afflicted with some disorder which makes them sound like they're being sarcastic even when they're being sincere (a la Kids in the Hall). Either way, it sucks you had a bad customer service experience there. There are plenty of other wonderful fabric shops competing with them.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home