new banner

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Seaworthy

I am not in the habit of doling out advice. But I do have a few words of wisdom for you today: Befriend someone with a boat.

I would offer you our friends Mike and Suzanne, but they're popular enough. You will need to find your own friend with a boat.



We went out for a few hours Saturday, traveling from his home in Babylon, Long Island, to Fire Island and all sorts of spots in between. Being from landlocked Pennsylvania (aside from Pittsburgh's three rivers), I had to keep pinching myself because it was such a foreign, wonderful experience. The mist in your face, the wind in your hair, the occasional bumps from the choppy water -- it was perfectly relaxing.

My greatest concern was on the beach, when the little umbrella from my pina colada blew away and I had to chase after it.

Sunday was also quite wonderful, seeing as it was the Renegade craft fair, but it was so toasty that Jess, Sandra, blogless Shannon and I could only hang in there for a few hours. Despite numerous suntan lotion applications, my back still got a touch burnt.

On to the loot! This adorable pail is from pixiegenne. She is a decoupage queen -- I have never coveted a suitcase so very much.


It was commented on repeatedly that matroyshkas -- Russian stacking dolls -- were this year's owls at Renegade. They were on everything! My mother briefly lived in Russia, so our house is populated with the dolls. (I was only allowed to play with them under strict adult supervision, but now my cousin's triplets basically treat them like G.I. Joes.) Anyway, I bought this cute little ring imprinted with a Russian doll face, though I can't remember from what vendor! And I'm also kicking myself for not buying a cute little blue t-shirt with a matroyshka on it. If anyone remembers either, please let me know -- I already checked the vendor list, but to know avail.

I picked up some fabric remnants and a mirror, but the MVP of the day was the jewelry from Fernworks. We were all instantly drawn to it.

My necklace has a lone bird flying over a tree -- there's something haunting and lovely about it.

24 Comments:

Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

I LOVE that necklace! So beautiful.
The ring is really cool.
We are heading up to Alaska this fall and they sell Matroyshka dolls crazy cheap at that time of year. Any requests? (that is a sincere offer btw) I usually pick up 4 or 5 sets for Daycare/Preschool -- amazingly enough, when they treat them like GI Joes...some of them go missing.
The T-shirt sounds so cute - hope you can find it.
Boating is defintely the way to spend your off time. Even better when you don't have to skipper!

1:00 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

love the loot!

7:17 AM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

Wow Carrie, you have the most amazing taste! I am coveting everything that you bought, esp. the ring!!

Because I live in Landlocked, PA., my version of befriending someone with a boat is befriending someone with central air...

7:54 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Love the necklace! What's it made of?

7:55 AM  
Blogger Sandra May Be Knitting A Ranch House said...

my shoulders are lobster red after sunday myself. ouchy!

that necklace looks stunning on you!! i am soooo very glad we encountered that Fernworks booth. i love my necklace to bits. my only regret is that i didn't buy a ring there as well now. i looked her up online and her stuff isn't all that readily available. oh well, perhaps next year. . .

8:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That necklace is so pretty! And yes, I'm jealous of the boat AND the beach.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Maya said...

Oh... I miss riding in boats. Michigan is, of course, surrounded by water, so lots of my friends and their families had boats. Oh great, now I'm homesick! :-)

I love that jewelry! The necklace especially.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I didn't even see the Fernworks booth :(
But I saw plenty of others...
You got a nice haul!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

How fun!! and I have to say, while I love the ring and the necklace, your best accessory BY FAR is your million-dollar smile :) I love that top picture! it made me smile!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the jewelry purchases! There are some very talented people out there.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Beautiful necklace! My immediate thought on seeing it was "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Marrying a man with a boat also rocks.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Katy said...

I believe the t-shirt of which you speak is from Maryink, one of my favorite vendors. I buy a couple of their tees every year.

I got a fernworks necklace too--am wearing it today!

12:12 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Oooh, that boat looks so relaxing. Fire island is one of my favorite places ever. It still freaks me out a little that normal people just travel over the sea by boat. Sort of like private planes, it just seems so roadless. How do they know where they're going?

1:34 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Man, I am so, so jealous. But that relaxation looks like just what you needed. Nice haul from Renegade, I totally didn't notice the russian doll them - although ended up with 2 tees that happened to have owls on them... God I'm so passe :)

2:00 PM  
Blogger lomester said...

I love your necklace! very pretty.

2:03 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Necklace is awesome. Friends with boats, must remember that one!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Kaet said...

sounds like a perfect ny summer weekend! i have somehow always lived near bodies of water and therefore love love love boating! glad that you did as well!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

When I lived in the Boston area, I had friends with a boat. Many a fabulous day was spent cruising about Salem, Glouster and Beverly, docking at the lobster roll stand in the middle of the harbor, diving off the back to take a swim when it got hot. When we moved to Chicago, it was my husband's job to find friends with boats. Alas, not the crowd we run with. (It is crazy expensive to have a boat in Chicago.) Your Renegade swag is quite fun. Love the necklace. You got a fab necklace last year, too, if I recall correctly.) Hold tight to those tiny umbrellas!

7:46 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Your day on the water looks perfect!! I keep meaning to make it to NYC for the Renegade Craft Fair...sigh...next year. I really absolutely super tremendously love the necklace.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Bev Love said...

Thanks for the link to Faryn Davis, Fernworks, her work is really ethereal and haunting. I wonder if she knits. . .

2:32 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Great haul!!

Man you look so glam on the boat! I don't think I ever look that elegant while boating!!! :)

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Oh, I love this whole post. The boat, the loot, the cocktail-with-umbrella, all of it. You had a perfect weekend, my dear! :)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kym said...

That is the coolest necklace I have ever seen- score!

Maybe we can figure out how to knit our own boats :) The closest we've ever come to a fancy boat is paddling in a canoe!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Kenneth M. Walsh said...

It's just as well. Blogless Shannon's a burner too.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home