new banner

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Three day weekends

I'm not sure that I can remember the last time I took a three-day weekend for a patriotic holiday. I loved the summer holidays as a kid -- endless rigatoni and parades and swimming and fireworks and, well, more rigatoni. So I just couldn't resist taking off this Memorial Day, particularly since it coincided with my birthday. (31, if you must know.)

And, oh, it was joyous and decadent! I tanned (safely) on my fire escape, started redecorating my craft room and bought a beautiful hanging plant that I can't identify. I painted my toenails and bought two new dresses. We ate and ate at Pacifico (twice), Apt. 138, Gennaro's and a dumpy burger stand at Coney Island.

Of course, there was knitting. And knitting presents! Mom bought me a kit for Fiesta's Famous Shawl. It's knit on size 17 needles, so I should finish it by sundown.


And I have been chugging along on another of my beloved February sweater. What could be more delightful than an afternoon in Prospect Park, knitting away on an Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern?

(And don't worry -- I got a new digicam from the long-suffering boyfriend, so better pictures to come!)

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I'm still forgoing coffee. I'm drinking green tea, which I realize still has caffeine, but I feel much calmer. I only had one cup in the past week and a half, and it made me jittery and anxious. It's crazy -- I spend so much time trying to change things about myself. Then one day, I just up and cut out my greatest addiction. Maybe we're all tougher than we think.

26 Comments:

Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Yeah! Happy Birthday!! Sounds like it was the perfect weekend!!

Love the new yarn....and can't believe you are really giving up the coffee! great job!!

11:50 PM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

Happy birthday! Knitting and a 3 day weekend? Sounds great to me, too!

Great job on cutting out caffine (um, I'm currently drinking my morning cup as a congratulate you). That can be so tough to do--congrats!

6:14 AM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

Love that pic of tranquil knitting in Prospect Park, Happy Birthday!!

7:22 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Sounds like you had a perfect day off AND birthday!! Yeah, green tea had plenty of caffeine in it, but also anti-oxidants, and other good stuff, many argue that it's much better for you than coffee. And if you're calmer, then it's a good thing.

7:47 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Happy belated birthday!

7:58 AM  
Blogger tentenknits said...

happy belated too! nothing beats knitting in the park!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous melissa said...

happy birthday!
congratulations on cutting out the coffee, you're braver than me!

8:38 AM  
Blogger KeanaLee said...

Happy Birthday, I'm with you I am 2 months pregnant & had to quit coffee cold turkey, I have switched to decaf & it's just not the same, I'd rather not drink it at all.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Katie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
That sounds like a lovely, yummy weekend. Mmm...Gennaro's! And great gifties.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hurray for good food and knitterly gifts!! Mine was over the weekend too, and I had both as well. :) (39 for me though - ugh!!)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Happy birthday! I never realized that I was actually addicted to coffee until I didn't have any for two days--I had the worst headache! I haven't stopped drinking it though, but I only have one cup a day.

9:30 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Happy Birthday! My childhood patriotic summer holidays were also rigatoni-filled, and lots of sausage sandwiches too!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Happy birthday, girl! It sounds like it was fun!

and great news about the coffee! I am thinking about doing the Ultrasimple thing again next week... wanna join me?

9:55 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

happy birthday again!! god i miss coffee.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Sandra May Be Knitting A Ranch House said...

glad you had such a nice three day weekend, carrie. :)

you gave up coffee? kudos to you, but my god. if i did, i would have thrown myself in front of a bus around the second day. . .

10:38 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Aww happy Birthday! :-)

My mom is actually knitting that shawl as well - it's her first project; I'm so proud of her!

We are definitely much tougher than we think we are. I've recently had no choice to change some things in my life - things that I never thought possible.

Here's to your green tea! :-)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday!

I'm glad the green tea is working for you.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Ann said...

Happy birthday! congrats on nixing the coffee. I'm down to one cup a day, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to switch to tea completely. (Though I do love the adagio teas... have you tried them?)

12:28 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

What an absolutely perfect weekend! And the phrase "endless rigatoni" made me chortle. Happy Birthday, too.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Katy said...

Happy Birthday! 31 was a good year for me, hope it works for you too.
Three-day weekends are the bomb. Sigh.

12:45 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Such a great weekend! Happy birthday, and thanks for the inspiration -- I'm going to take my EZ baby sweater outside right now!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Congratulations on your extra year!

I hope you can keep up with the coffee ban, if I have one cup I feel higher than a kite.

Looks like a lot of very beautiful knit-work ahead of you this coming year!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

Happy Birthday Carrie!!

The giving-up-coffee thing is seriously awe-inspiring to me. I missed my coffee the other day and I ended up with the worst headache. You're much tougher than me :)

11:40 PM  
Blogger Gina L said...

Happy Happy Birthday Carrie! I hope you enjoyed yourself on your special day!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Dana KBS said...

Happy birthday! I turned 31 on the 11th...May is a good month.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Happy *much* belated birthday & it looks like you had a great 3 day weekend!!

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home