new banner

Sunday, February 11, 2007

On the upswing

My car needs a new starter and my laptop needs a new hard drive. But it could be worse. My hair hasn't spontaneously gone up in flames, and my bathtub hasn't crashed through my floor like in The Money Pit. Things sometimes break, especially if you have been driving them for 10 years or you've repeatedly spilled coffee on them. Things are just things, and they can be replaced. And red wine will see you through it.

So the long-suffering boyfriend is letting me use his laptop, which is good since I have a new knit to show off! Borne out of anxiety and the desire for instant gratification, I present you the Spring Cap by Woolly Wormhead. (Thanks, Bronxie, for introducing me to this site.)

I had been looking for a pattern just like this, though Jess was convinced that I was describing something akin to a hair net. I simply wanted a hat that was sort of like a beret but could cover a ponytail. Check and check. I triple-stranded the black angora that I bought at the Suss going-out-of-business sale. I believe I used size 5s metal circs.

I'm also soldiering ahead on the Knitpicks Emma Jacket. Folks, this isn't the easiest of projects. First off, there's a whole lotta math. Lots and lots of calculations to make sure that it fits you. (I dropped out of honors calculus senior year to take pottery.) And second, connecting the sleeves to the body was no small feat. Third, I haven't even gotten to the steeking yet. So we'll see how this goes ...


Today was the much-anticipated Spider spinning day at Marie's fabulous Bay Ridge apartment. (I'm telling you, her fiber collection would leave you weak in the knees.) Mebeth was a pro.



Me, I am not so good at the spinning. It was twisting a bit too much and coiling funny, and I simply couldn't get the hang of it. So I chose instead to eat baked ziti.

19 Comments:

Blogger gleek said...

i just couldn't get into spinning either, and i think that's a good thing! the last thing that i need is another hobby ;)

9:44 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Emma certainly sounds cumbersome.

Spinning or not, today was fun wasn't it. I think my chin fell on the floor when I first walked into Marie's. All that fiber.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm glad you're taking the hard knocks of life in stride. I love the hat.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

The hat looks great :)

12:21 AM  
Anonymous frecklegirl jess said...

oooh baked ziti. mmmm!

Cute hat! Push on with that jacket- you can do it!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

Just like everyone else, i really like that hat! And I guess if you can't join 'em, eating baked ziti is just as good. ;-)

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Carrie, I just love that hat. It looks so darn cute on you!
Yesterday was so lovely--don't you wish every day could be like that? Sigh....

9:17 AM  
Anonymous lisa said...

I was with you on the baked ziti... spinning just didn't work out for me. Nice job on the hat - looks great. Can't wait to see how the Emma Jacket turns out!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Yum. I want some baked ziti right now. The hat is so cute!

10:57 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Hey I dropped calculus to take crafts class! I think we made the right choice - I use my crafty knowledge far more than I'd ever use calculus.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

I love that hat, looks great and is so soft. I'm glad you had a good time and enjoyed the baked ziti!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous craptina said...

Beth totally whooped us all on the drop spindle. I don't know if you noticed, but I didn't spin one bit. I had a good time, but it's just not my thing. I'm with you on the baked ziti....

1:46 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Great little hat you made yourself! It's a nice change from all the berets cropping up everywhere in bloglandia. And I've thus far managed to avoid any attempts at spinning... that's for others to do. I'll stick with knitting up others' spun fiber and making soap.

Thanks for the comment on my soap and perfect PINK cake! It makes it all the funnier that it was my boyfriend's cake when I got all the gals swooning over it. He's such a good sport to accept such a, um, barbie-ized cake. He couldn't resist, pink or not.

And good luck with your ornery car and computer!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Cute cute cute hat. I mean triple cute. I hope it is keeping you warm!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Very cute hat! That's a great website to know about too.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

cute hat!

mmmm baked ziti and did you get a slice of that lemon cake! yum!

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Dorothy said...

A very cute hat!

Sounds like you have made a good bit of lemonade out of your lemons. Hard to keep a smart girl down.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

You ask me, you got the WAY better end of the deal by eating the baked ziti! You can buy yarn anywhere.

(Well, I guess you can buy the ziti too. But you take my point.)

9:24 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

Oy God patterns with lots of math? Yikes. Your hat is cute, btw!

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home