new banner

Thursday, December 28, 2006

The gift of yarn

I'd like to start off with a little advice for travellers. You need not worry about bringing knitting needles on board an airplane if the passenger in front of you has packed "My First Skeleton" in his carry-on luggage. I'm not sure which is more ludicrous -- that a miniature skeleton can create such a commotion among security agents, or that I actually sort of agree with them that it's a bad idea to travel with imitation human bones.

I cannot express how relaxing my trip was. I slept 9 1/2 straight hours the first night in my girlhood bed. In contrast, last night I woke up about 63 times. And I was completely spoiled rotten by my family. Like blocking board, flower-print tool set and lots of jewelry spoiled. And brand new SWIFT spoiled! And though it's probably tacky to show off your presents, I've decided that it's acutally rude for me not to publicize them.


What's encircling the beautiful swift? It's a skein of the softest, most fabulous alpaca I've ever touched. Your hands even feel great after touching it. It's called Joseph Galler Prime Alpaca, and I don't know who Joseph Galler is, but he makes some nice yarn. Even though I'm usually dubious of Lion Brand, I am considering knitting up this with the yarn. Or would that be a waste? (I picked up the alpaca with a gift certificate from my cousin to Knit Wits, my hometown's local yarn store. If you ever find yourself in Greensburg, Pa., which I realize is unlikely, you need to stop in. The owners are downright neighborly.)

My family also showered me with other knitterly gifts. Mom bought me the "In Stitches," while my cousin found me some knitting fiction.



And since so many of you humored me about the ornaments on our crooked little tree in Brooklyn and my need to tell stories about all of them, I thought I'd share a few from my parent's tree. This is my favorite ornament. It was from Avon, of all places, but something about Santa's deadpan expression really speaks to me, every year.




And this is my mom's favorite ornament. (Well, this one and the same ornament featuring my brother.) I made it in my kindergarten class by wrapping yarn around the lid of a can. See, crafty at a young age!

28 Comments:

Anonymous yaiAnn said...

Wow, those knitterly gifts are awesome! Glad you're having an awesome time at home.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Awesome gifts. That Joseph Galler stuff is soooo nice, I've been lusting after it at my LYS for a couple months.

Love the ornaments!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

I love seeing what people got for Christmas! It's so fun!

I got a swift too. I just started using it tonight. When I finally got it to spin I was so excited!

10:45 PM  
Blogger nat said...

Thanks for sharing your new toys! I don't think it's tacky to show off your gifts - it's Christmas! :) Those are cool ornaments, by the way.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

That alpaca looks so tempting! And the pattern is quite nice, I think. It's so nice that your family indulged your yarn passion for Christmas. Happy new year.

12:01 AM  
Blogger KeanaLee said...

Great gifts, thanks for sharing. I have been to KnitWits, great place, my LYS & KnitWits had a Preemie Cap challange together this past fall. My LYS is 15 min. north of The Burgh. I'm glad you had a good trip.

9:46 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

damn lion brand.. they want me to register to see their pattern. i guess i have to do that someday :)

ooohhh, lots of lovely christmas gifties! what a lucky girl you are! are you back home now?

10:20 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What fab gifts! That alpaca looks lovely and soft.

Cute picture on your mom's favorite ornament too!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

aww, that last ornament is my favorite, too. :)

that swift will change your life.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Great gifties! I want to see the flower-print tool set, that sounds amazing. Have fun with the swift! I love mine so much ;)

Cute ornament with lil' Carrie!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Holly Burnham said...

How nice that Santa spoiled you so much....you lucky girl.

11:58 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

ohmygod that picture of you is soooooo sweet!

What fantastic gifts you got too, your family knows you well, you lucky gal you.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Sachi said...

Yay, swifty!!!! I now own two. I love them.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Nery said...

Very nice gifts! I love the swift!I read "A Good Yarn" and I really liked it. The Lion Brand pattern is nice too!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I love the ornament with kindergarten Carrie. So cute!

5:31 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Hey, Lion Brand or otherwise, that sweater pattern is cute! Who'dathunk it?

6:00 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

who the hell brings a fake skeleton on the plane?? that is so weird- you'd think they would lose some of the bones during the flight too. odd...

6:14 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

Cute little ornament you made and you are just adorable! Thanks for the infor on Knit Wits if I am ever over there. These look like some great books! I have the one on the right.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Carrieoke said...

That tiny picture is so, so cute.

And your swift and that yarn ain't so bad either.

Happy New Year!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous frecklegirl jess said...

That picture of you is too cute for words! You look just the same...

Aren't ornaments the best? I love thinking about all the stories with each of them.

That is some beautiful alpaca... oooh alpaca. :)

I got In Stitches too, from Casey's sister. Some great patterns in there, huh? Too bad I am hopeless at sewing!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Great gifts! The alpaca looks incredible - especially on your new swift.
That sweater does look good - Lion Brand? go figure.

12:17 PM  
Blogger VDOprincess said...

I read both of those "knitterly fictions" and loved them. Very fun. (The only thing better than reading and knitting is reading about knitting and knitting.) :)

2:20 PM  
Blogger rfg said...

Love the yarn swift. The husband bought me one for my birthday when he got sick of holding yarn and it's seriously good for one's relationships. Enjoy!

11:59 PM  
Anonymous craptina said...

Knitting Under the Influence is a kitchy read, I couldn't quite get into it. Cute cover, huh?

I really dig your santa ornament. happy new year!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Those are some great gifts! Lucky you. I'm a voyeur in the Christmas department. I love to see what others got. Especially if it's obvious that the gifter tried hard to make sure you will love your gift.

Happy New Year! I hope you have a fabulous year in 2007.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Awesome gifts! Happy New Year!!

3:18 AM  
Blogger Marly said...

Happy New Year!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Am still laughing about "My First Skeleton". OMG, can you imagine what the agent must have thought when it popped up on the x-ray???

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home