new banner

Monday, October 30, 2006

Aw shucks

I'm not sure how to thank you all for the outpouring of kind thoughts. We had a few kinda dark days there -- funerals seem to bring out the worst in my extended family -- but I managed to smile when I read every single comment. Such great readers and friends.

So on to much cheerier news -- I finished a project for Zimmermania! It's the ever-popular February baby sweater from "Knitters Almanac." But I have a confession -- I have no idea what yarn I used. See, I'm a little discombobulated and lost the yarn ball band, which is such a lazy blogger thing to do. It's some kind of Croatian cotton from Knit-a-way -- I picked it based solely on the color because the little recipient is named Violet. And I liked that the yarn might be of Eastern European descent, like me!



I adore this pattern and encourage all of my friend to conceive girls so that I can knit it until the end of time. So relaxing and easy to memorize, really a joy of a project. And it must not look half bad because my cousin saw it and asked why I never made anything this nice for her daughter. Harumph.

Now, about Rhinebeck. I can't really bear to write a traditional festival post, seeing as so much time has elapsed. Instead, I'll give you the highlights and suggest you look at the pics on my flickr page. I munched fried artichokes with my dear Spiders. I met, um, what's her name? A disagreeable sheep bit my yarn bag. We passed a giant Prozac statue. And three words. George. Michael. Sing-a-long.

Oh, and the yarn! I picked up a ton of Brooks Farm Four Play in yummy reds and pinks for some kind of wrap sweater, the pattern for which I haven't selected, along with two skeins from a place called Stonesthrow Farm.



I was drawn to the brilliant blue but was also intrigued that the yarn was half "cormo," which the owner told me is an Australian breed of Corriedale rams crossed with Saxon Merinos. It's kind of like a Wuzzle. But not really.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Angela said...

Love that sweater... why are all my friends having boys?! UGH!

2:17 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

aawwww! wuzzle! :)

glad to see you're back in action. that zimmerman sweater is just darling. i love it!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I'm glad you're back and through with the business of it all.

I've got FourPlay on my mind lately (wink wink!) for a clapotis...

Now that does sound truly naughty!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Love the jacket!! I want to make one for a friend's daughter now! Think I can finish it before Christmas?

9:14 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Hey C! I love the Zimmerman sweater! that is so precious! a definite heirloom ;)

BTW: I did win the US Open. *Your dream comment made me LOL! I don't know the first thing about tennis, unfortunately!*

xo

10:03 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Oh that sweater is incredibly beautiful!

Wuzzles. Hilarious.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

What a great sweater!! So adorable!

Looks like you got some sweet stuff at rhinebeck! I can't wait to see what you knit with it! :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

I looooove the baby sweater. It's one of the nicest little girl sweaters I've seen. Great job.

And it's good to see you're holding up after all the sad stuff. Hang in there, baby!

10:33 AM  
Blogger mayarn said...

THAT is a great baby sweater.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Gail said...

That is a beautiful sweater. I have to find it. A friend of mine is having a baby due in 7 months. You think I have time?

1:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a sweet sweater!

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

ooh, Carrie, that sweater looks beautiful! and yummy yarn.

I'm so so glad I got to meet ya! Now I wanna come and hang out FOR REALS. The Spiders are so much fun!

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

good god, that sweater is cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute. i can't barely stand it! awwww.

4:14 PM  
Blogger =joy= said...

aww, carrie, i just caught up. *hug* great work on the baby sweater!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Jessica / Fig & Plum said...

truly, the girly baby sweater to end all girly baby sweaters. it rocks. the color was wisely chosen too (you picked up a mystery yarn at knit-a-way, you're KIDDING! ;).

all my friends / relatives are having girls, and i'm too busy sewing in yarn ends in that stupid blanket to make anything cute like this!

and carrie, there's something i've been meaning to ask you: do you love your monkey, or do you love me? just wondering.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Violet is so lucky!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

So cute! I really want to knit that for my Girly.

Love your pics of Rhinebeck.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Beautiful sweater! I love that one... and I'm glad you're back.
And I think we all fell for the Four Play--that stuff is just yummy!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Esther said...

Gorgeous sweater!!! So cute!

4:50 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I loved knitting that sweater, I cant wait to start another one!!

11:44 PM  
Anonymous craptina said...

I bet a baby Spider is going to get that sweater..... I heard you had a hard time getting back on the highway after dropping me off :( I wish I could have been more helpful. I did haev a great time with you girls that day.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Wanda said...

What a sweet little sweater! Very cute. Cormo wool is so nice and cushy. I bought some at Estes this year and I walked around for a day just hugging it to my body. Nice stuff.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Marissa K said...

Hey! I have a little girl....
It is awfully chilly in New Haven;)

2:14 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

Such an adorable sweater. Lucky baby who gets it!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home