new banner

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Around the house

I think I'm nesting. I've been slightly obsessed with the apartment lately, finding just the right artwork and slowly making the place feel like a home while driving my co-inhabitant crazy. I bought the Apartment Therapy book, but since the place is brand new to us, I don't think it really needs to be "cured." Just spruced up. And what better way to spruce than with a goose.



Meet Gladys. I found her as I walked to my gym on Court St. She's actually a lamp and was just standing their at a sidewalk sale among maps and mismatched dinnerware. It made me terribly sad. You see, I really like geese, mostly because they are silly. I asked the salesman how much he wanted, and he answered, "This goose just needs a good home, some TLC and some Ajax. How about five dollars?" She's hanging in the bedroom but may end up outside with this winged fellow. I haven't plugged her in for fear she's a fire hazard.

You should have seen how people stared at me as I carried Gladys down the street! I was surprised, since earlier this week a fellow on a unicycle failed to turn heads.

That wasn't my only tag sale score. Picked up this wine rack for a mere two bucks at a little sale at the Italian place on our corner. I hope this doesn't mean they're closing!



And at long last, I decorated my beloved stairway. As further proof that I'm nesting, I picked a bird motif. I first saw Amy Ruppel's delightful artwork on Design Sponge -- she works in beeswax! But her pieces sell out at lightning speed, so I just picked up eight little prints. Here's a close-up:



Despite being a knitter, I'm not always very precise, so I had to force myself to space these perfectly. Using a Martha Stewart method, I first hung up sheets of paper, then went back and hammered in the nails. That's downright fastidious of me.



And I continue to tinker with my creative workspace. I walked over yesterday to Brooklyn General, which is alarmingly close to my apartment, and actually saw Debbie Stoller of Stich 'n Bitch fame! (You might, or might not, remember that I saw her last year at the Bust Craftacular.) I picked up some adorable oil cloth -- so old-fashioned and lovely. I keep painting everything in that area Tiffany box blue, as you can see, and I decoupaged a cheesy little mosaic out of old craft magazines. I think I still need some new curtains, a not-ugly sewing machine cover and a new place to store records. Other thoughts?



Back to knitting later in the week. The powder room/blocking room is hosting my Brooks Farm scarf as I type.

20 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I love what you're doing with the place!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Everything looks so great Carrie! I love Gladys! Geese are so fun (unless they are chasing you which is another story for another time).

Thanks for the links to those prints too! So lovely!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I'm so jealous of all this space you have! And of your fantastic decorating ideas...

9:15 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I love that shade of blue!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Saun said...

If you have to fall in love with a blue, Tiffany blue is definitely a good choice.

You should try buying a new lightbulb socket and plug from the hardware store. Then you can plug in the lamp without fear.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

The prints look great - and I love your new blog header!

10:32 PM  
Blogger gleek said...

i love the prints in the stairway! great find :)

look at your lovely ball winder! now all you need is a swift ;)

10:49 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Wow, you have a duplex!! That is so neat!

I really like the pictures in the stairway. Very pretty.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Things sure are coming along, Carrie! I love the look of things, though. Although Mr Wonderful and I live in a townhome, we sure could use a little Apartment Therapy. Tell me how you like the book, as I am thinking of picking it up for us.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

The place looks great! I love the little bird prints and their placement over the stairs.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I don't know if you're nesting, but I certainly understand the desire to want to make your place look nice. After moving from apt to apt, it's nice to create a little permanance in your space, make it personal and lived in. At least, that's where I'm at.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous lisa said...

Love what you've done with the stairway! Very cute!

11:03 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

You're totally nesting aren't you? But why wouldn't you with all that space? It's all looking great.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Your place gets cuter and cuter! I love it, esp. the Tiffany-box blue. And Gladys, of course.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Your place is so adorable. I love those prints! Gladys is wonderful too!

2:10 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

Heee, I can just see you walking down the street holding the geese:) You are coming with some great ideas! I like how you placed the frames coming down the stairs. I have mine that way but so far only three pics.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

gladys is charming! your doing such a great job on the apartment. maybe you'll inspire me to finish hanging up the frames i bought when i moved in to my new place a year ago!

oh, and i think i may have found another yarn to use with Annabelle. I didn't check the gauge, but the 4ply Cashsoft from Rowan might just fit the bill.

10:41 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I'm impressed by your picture hanging dilligence, they look great - I'm not much of a perfectionist about those things either.

12:37 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Great prints and I love the goose - hee hee - so silly!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

Hey, I just found your blog and can't believe that you found that goose lamp. You see, I have the same goose lamp. I also named her Gladys. I purchased her from the delia*s catalog in the late 1990s, I think. (I was in high school, maybe?) So I can assure you she is not a fire hazard, but you should use a fairly low wattage bulb. Enjoy! I'll be back to read more later, I'm sure.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home