new banner

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Beauty shop

There's a reason I typically wear my hair really long, and it's not just my admiration for Crystal Gayle. This is going to sound terribly neurotic, but I cannot stand having small talk with hair stylists. All I want is my bangs trimmed, and instead I have to completely reassess my life with a stranger wielding scissors.

"Where do you live? How long have you lived there? What do you do? Seeing anybody? Do you want a family?"

There was a time when I lived on a crappy block in a minute apartment with a crazy, ferret-owning woman and had no boyfriend or gainful employment. Back then, I left the salon defeated and depressed, no matter how smart the hair cut.

You would never get into this kind of conversation with the dude bagging your groceries. So why with a stylist? Can't we just sit in quiet contemplation?



Beyond that, I somehow manage to attract the nuttiest stylist in the salon. Like once, when I worked in our Long Island office, I got my hair cut in the Garden City mall. A perfectly nice older man was assigned to me, and, in my failed attempt to make small talk, I commented sarcastically on the salon's choice of tuning the radio to the John Tesh show. But this guy was missing the irony gene and prattled on for 10 minutes about how wise John Tesh is and what sound advice he gives. I can't believe I put my hair in his hands.

I was encouraged when I walked into the upscale spa in Queens last year. As the stylist washed my hair, she commented, "You've got beautiful eyes."
"Oh thanks!" I said, a little relieved.
"They look just like my ex-husband's," she answered before launching into a rant.

But this latest stylist wasn't all bad -- she talked so much that I barely had to speak. I got a little nervous when she suggested making me look like a rock star -- unless, of course, it had been Crystal Gayle.

*******************

So thank you, especially the delurkers, for the advice on the eye circles and artwork. I haven't bought any make-up yet, but we are considering some artwork that I'll show shortly.

In the meantime, here's some progress on my little craft area. I'm so relieved that I finally have a home for the crazy, primary color lapghan that I crocheted several years ago.



I bought shelves at Target, even after the salesman said that they didn't sell them. I had to call my father, the consummate handyman, about 18 times before I felt certain that I was installing them properly. I think I chose the proper anchors but I fear they won't withstand much weight and are mainly just for show.

Curious about what's on the shelves? Click for details via flickr:

my craft room

my craft room

27 Comments:

Blogger Kym said...

Cute cut! I hate making small talk too- I actually am thinking about changing stylists but I don't want to have to start over. So weird. There should be a salon for people who don't want to talk. period. that would be cool.

1:15 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

The craft room looks great! Is that a Japanese lantern in the corner? I love it!

6:22 AM  
Anonymous lisa said...

I'm not into chatty hairdressers either. I really like where I go - not a lot of English is spoken, so the haircut is blissfully silent. Ahhh.

The craft area looks great. Love the shelves!

7:53 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

i love the hair cut! really cute and fresh!

i'm envious of your crafting area for sure :)

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

You hair looks great!

I dread the stylist small talk thing too. I get so anxious about what to say, etc. that I am a nervous wreck by the time I hop up into the chair. Ugh.

The crafty corner looks adorable.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I have a stylist who blabs on and on about her strange family issues. She has a million tattoos and the most facial piercings I have ever seen, but dayum does she give good hair!

Whoever your new stylist is, keep them. The hair is darling.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I usually don't enjoy the chatty hairstylist, although I go to someone right now that I do like, so I go with it. My hair is crazy hard to deal with, so when I found someone that cuts it well, I'll put up with anything. Well, almost everything.

Very cute cut! I love and envy your crafting zone too.

9:33 AM  
Blogger mayarn said...

That's some great hair! it's so hard to find a good stylist (who doesn't talk too much)

Your craft area is excellent. I wish I had one of those...

9:35 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

What a lovely haircut!
Here's what I love about being a hair model: the stylist and colorist are so busy talking to each other, plotting what awesome cut/color they will give me, that they don't chit chat with me. And when they do ("have you seen any movies recently?"), it's painfully short ("no").

9:48 AM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

I love the craft corner! I'm so envious. I'm especially partial to Raggedy Ann.

Before I moved, I got my hair cut (in a salon) by a friend, so rather than small talk, we full-on gossiped, which probably wasn't totally appropriate in a public place (the other stylists/customers have ears, you know). My first post move cut was tramatic -- I could tell she was using the small talk to gauge how cool I am so she could figure out how 80s retro my cut should be. I ended up with what I would describe as a mullet. I'm not pleased.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Love the haircut! I feel the same way about the small talk. Luckily my stylist now doesn't chat too much and I'm happy with the way he does my hair. It took about 2 years after I moved here to find a place though!

10:11 AM  
Blogger KnitsnPieces said...

the hair is fab!!

10:34 AM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

The hair looks great! I made sure I went to the trendiest part of town to get my new do, and well, I look like the trendiest emo boy you've ever seen!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

I love the little kitty toy!! I too hate haircuts. I usually have a hard time hearing them too so it's all like "what?" "pardon me?" the whole time.

And I admit, I just go to the cheap places like Great Clips.

10:51 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I can never hear what my stylist is asking me (because of all the hairdryers and whatnot) so usually she gives up after a while - you may want to try that trick!

11:18 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Oh, you look totally sweet in that picture! Good that you managed to get a good haircut amid the talk. I actually kinda miss the woman who cuts my hair (I got my hair cut right before I left and I have a picture of us together that I keep forgetting to put up!) cause she knew me and my hair and what i was like and so she matched the haircut accordingly. I actually really need a haircut right now but had been holding off due to money. Thanks to Veronique for reminding me about hair modeling!

I so wish I could check out your sweet apartment progress in person!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Love the new hair! So cute and a perfect length. My mom's a stylist, so when I was younger, I was always accosted about the daily goings on in my life. It was that or continue living w/ the rat's nest of hair and split ends.

Your craft room is making me just the tiniest bit jealous. I need a crafty space, that's for sure!

11:51 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

your hair cut looks great. agreed on the small talk issue - my stylist is pretty quiet, so I feel the opposite - like I'm supposed to talk. It's weird, because although I would like the silence, I feel like you're supposed to talk. it's an awful catch 22.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

your little craft area is very cute and cosy. Love those wooden shelves.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Your hair looks great! I know exactly what you mean. Thank goodness I have a wonderful hairdresser now - she is the perfect blend of chatty (never too personal) and quiet. AND she has curly hair herself and knows the quirks that many stylists ignore. It is a very different thing to cut/style straight hair than curly.
I have suffered many a bad hair cut (and awkward conversations) with hair dressers who did not knot this.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Your hair looks great! Well worth the chatty stylist. Tho' I too, am a member of the Crystal Gayle club :) And your craft area? SO cute! I love it, I just want to snuggle up there and... craft!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

your hair is so cute!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Biglug said...

I primarily use my current hair stylist for two reasons - she does a good job and she cuts in silence. Thank god. I have to make enough asinine small talk at work!

Your hair is cute!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

The haircut really suits you, Carrie! lovely :)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I am so with you on the haircuts. This why I put off getting haircuts for so very long.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Ragged Around the Edges said...

Loving the new do and the new look for the blog.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home