new banner

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Lifelines

My boss, a non-knitter and the hardest working person I know, read my last post and was intrigued by the idea of the lifeline, a safety net that allows you to rip back and get another shot. "We could use a lifeline around here," she said after reading it. I was struck by that, especially since I would love to rip back to maybe two weeks ago, when my biggest problem was finding a parking space in front of a yarn store. But since I can't rip back, I can at least push forward, which has been so much easier with all the support from my family, my long-suffering boyfriend, my co-workers and my wonderful blog friends particularly the Spiders, who have sent so many sweet emails. Things are looking much rosier around these parts.

And my apartment building ain't all bad -- after all, I did find this in the basement!



See, this is how much of a blog geek I am. I recognized this instantly as the fabric that Action Hero Melissa used to make a dress two years ago. (Scroll down to the May 28 entry). Don't worry, I checked it for mouse droppings, mold and explosives. What should I make with it? Pillows?

And please remind me in the future not to choose two projects that require counting. I'm making a lot of headway on Diamonique and have overcome my issues with the decreases -- just use a stitch marker where the pattern begins, then count backwards. Haven't had to frog the front once!



I'm also trucking on mom's French Bistro Top. Pretty soon, it will be time for the sleeves. I think crocheting sleeves will prove more palatable than knitting them on dpns, right?



Since I'm progressing on these two, I can reward myself by dreaming of my next project. I'm thinking the razor cami. But what yarn? I'm inspired by Heather's use of sock yarn. But when did Knit Picks discontinue sock garden? Any yarn suggestions?

18 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Lifelines are a totally life saver...it is too bad that we can't use it in all aspects of life.

You are making some serious progress! That Razor Tank is supercute...yet another link to something that I'll have to add to my ever growing list of things to make.

Um...did Action Hero Melissa live in your building or was this a totally seperate but equal fabric?

1:39 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I think KP is re-working the Sock Garden, as it was a pretty poor-wearing sock yarn. I did make a scarf and some mittens out of them and they were great, but my socks got a heel-hole almost instantly, and the inside felted too.

For yarn suggestions for the razor cami-- how about koigu? Oooh, or Shaeffer Anne? Or what about Mind's Eye Lucy's merino/tencel hand dye?

Oy! Do I go on and on?

Carrie, I do hope you manage to return to some peace soon. Hang in there.

8:52 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

hhmmm, yes, it looks like sock garden is gone from knitpicks? they still have sock memories and elegance though to choose from. but wouldn't that top be lovely in koigu? mmmmmm, a little expensive but oh so nice :)

8:55 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Carrie,
I have been thinking a lot about you and it's really great to hear that you're feeling better about it all! And both projects look like they're coming along great, and that razor cami looks really fun. We are very due for a hang out!!!

9:01 AM  
Blogger KeanaLee said...

That is some awesome fabric, I think pillows would be really cool, a round cylinder type neck rool would be sute. I was catching up on blogs today & am trying to get back in the loop, I missed your stories.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Love the Bistro Top!! It's totally the look right now. And what a find on that fabric! Love the polka-dots.

Hope everything that's stressing you out clears up soon... Come to the Point sometime soon and we can trade stories! I've got a few doozies to share from these past few weeks.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I see someone has already suggested Koigue for the razor cami. Claudia's Handpaint might be nice too. Expensive both, but so pretty!

9:50 AM  
Blogger mayarn said...

What an awesome find in your basement! Pillows out of that fabric would be great.

You are one quick knitter these days! I really like the razor tank - now I'm going to have to make that too! But first, fad classic...

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Your basement sure has way cooler stuff than my basement!
I love the idea of Koigu for the Razo Cami--that is the cutest pattern. And I'm glad things are getting a little more normal in your world :)

11:33 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

I sure hope things are going better, Carrie dear.

Lovin' your projects!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I hope things are improving for you! From the title on the last post it sounds as though you could use a break.
Both your projects are coming along so well. I can't wait to see the finished!

1:54 PM  
Blogger GIA said...

I agree with the pushing forward...there is a song out with the words "Move Along"..in it. Sung by one of the newer bands who look like they are trying to look like they are from the 70's. Anyway - a good song when things arent going out way.

I saw someone asked about Action Hero in your building - wouldnt that be CRAZY??

I saw the Razor Cami, I havenever done clothes, other than a baby poncho - but I may try that one, secretly from family and BF knowing, it will be our secret...lol

Glad to see you back!

Gia

2:48 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Glad that Diamonique is working out better! And how the heck do you find fabric in the basement of your apartment?

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Virginia said...

Spiders love you too! We are a lifeline.....

Razor is looking sharp!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

What fun fabric! Hope this week is much better!

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

I hate the fact that I can't comment from my phone on blogger :( I would've commented earlier. Your WIPs look great!

8:26 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Oh, having a lifeline that could take you back even one minute would be a dream... Glad to hear things are looking up! I'd say finding gorgeous fabric in your basement is a definite omen of good things to come. :-D

2:41 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I certainly hope things are going better for you!
That fabric is great, if large enough I think it would make a cute floor cushion.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home