new banner

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I forgot!

Maybe it was all the sun. Maybe it was the calm ocean breeze. Or maybe it was the bits of cork in the wine after I had to open a bottle without a cork screw once again.

But somehow I simply forgot to visit the yarn shop in Rockport! It's apparently closing and was only open for a few hours on Friday. And during those few hours, my mind drifted elsewhere, probably to an indulgent episode of "Oprah" or a nap inside here.



I did, though, spend lots of quality time with my already-purchased yarn. There was serious progress on mom's French Bistro Top, but barring a black hole or other wrinkle in the universe, it won't be finished for her birthday last Saturday. (Oops.) And later this week, when I'm a little further along, I'll show off the beginnings of my Diamonique.

Despite rising at 6:15 a.m. Saturday, I didn't make it back to New York in time for the Spin Off, and I nearly missed meeting Yahaira at long last. After taking the train from Massachusetts, I grabbed a cab driven by a buffoon, so I bailed out and took the muggy, muggy subway to my car, then experienced a minor parking miracle in front of the Point.



It was such a treat to chat and crochet with Marie and Yahaira. I don't get to see Marie nearly enough because of my loopy schedule, and somehow Yahaira and I haven't met even though she's one of my knitting crutches. We spent an hour or so with the loveliest trio of ladies at the Point, who I hope will start commenting!

Yahaira was sweet enough to bring me two presents from her shop,
Pure Knits. Here's some luscious Fable alpaca and
Bamboo.

yarn from yahaira


And in an attempt to distract myself from my long-term project, I used the Bamboo to start a dream swatch head wrap. No, I'm really not trying to knit all of her patterns.

dreamswatch

25 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Ah, your vacation sounds absolutely wonderful--despite forgetting to go yarn shopping!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Sorry you forgot to head to the yarn store but the rest of it sounds great.

I'm so jealous that you got to meet Yahaira!! It looks like you guys had a really good time! :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Ooooh, the Dream Swatch is looking great so far!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

I'm loving the dream swatch and am totally copying!

12:56 PM  
Blogger gleek said...

wow! an actual picture of yahaira!! :) this is the first i'm actually seeing of her.

oh, the dream swatch! i want to make one of those but the instructions were throwing me for a loop.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous amanda said...

you always look so cute! i'm glad you had a nice vacation. nothing like rushing back for a yarn fix!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Can't wait to see what you do with your PureKnit goodies!

3:20 PM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

You look so tanned and beautiful! I'm still rocking the fluorescent white, you know, just to make everyone else feel good in comparison. I can't wait to see what you create next!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

I think I'm going to rockport this weekend - though I probably won't make it to the yarn store. Glad you guys ahd a good time.

Love that dream swatch. So...dreamy!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Sounds like you had a good time!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous yahaira said...

you outted me!this day will go down in history

6:24 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

HAHAHA!!! We finally get a look at Miss Yahaira! Now...how DO you say her name? haha!!!

I always miss all the fun!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Ronni said...

Hi Carrie, It was wonderful to meet you at the Point. I am officially outed and am no longer a lurker. Looking forward to seeing the French Bistro!

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

how do you pronounce her name? HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE HER NAME??

11:24 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'm so glad your vacation was good enough for you to lose track of things!
Very cute pic of what looks like an awesome evening.

12:04 AM  
Blogger GIA said...

So, I really like your blog. I read it alot, and always read about your subway, taxi, and train trips, and I think of what it must be like.

I live in Kansas City MO, and there is no subway, and taxi's are to expensive and here a car is cheaper. I drive over an hour to see my boyfriend, and only thing I have to complain about is the cost of gas, and lack of time I can be with him.
I see all your vacations and wish I was at the spot in your last blog, with the tented table. I look at it and see myself chillin' with some wine and thinking of nothing...yes, nothing :)

Thank you for the blog and sharing your life with all of us :)

3:12 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Ooooh...pretty! That bamboo is pretty special...

9:01 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Your post makes me want to go sit in my backyard all day (it's my little slice of heaven). Looks like you had a wonderfully relaxing time on your vacation! Do give Kavalier and Clay a try. I was initially put off by the synopsis on the book jacket, but I am loving it! Now, if I only had more time to sit in the backyard and read it...

9:55 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

That picture of you guys is great! It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Glad you had a great time and still made it back in time.
For someone who rode the muggy subway you look impeccable!
Love the dream swatch - yes, you are making all of her patterns. We know it.

I love the link back to the Jordan Catalano post. My So Called Life and AD in one post? I think that was when I added you to my sidebar!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Oh my... that looks like such fun! What a cute picture of the 3 of you!

9:04 AM  
Blogger KeanaLee said...

I love that Bamboo...I have 2 keins sitting here waiting to be made into dreamswatch headbands.....ah but today I have to clean the houe YUCK!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

What fabulous gifts from Yahaira! Yum yum yum. And it sounds like a blissful vacation to me. :)

8:42 PM  
Blogger CareBear said...

Ah!! You're a genius! I just discovered Bamboo yarn but only bought 1 skein,. not sure of what I'd make with it. It was just too yummy to pass up! This is perfect! ;-)

2:50 PM  
Anonymous bekka said...

i haven't gotten the hang of that dream swatch head gear thing. yours is coming along nicely.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home