new banner

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Getaway (and Renegade!)

This week, Every Word's a Purl is coming to you live from Rockport, Massachusetts. I'm staying in a quaint little vacation home with my folks and also visiting Jon's parents, who live nearby. It's so peculiar to blog in a spacious, beautifully appointed kitchen that is literally the size of my whole apartment.

And only a city dweller would feel compelled to post pictures of a backyard. Look! Space! Greenery! This is where I sat crocheting in the sun today, and it felt terribly novel:



Right now, I'm mainly chipping away at my mother's
French Bistro Top, but my eagle-eyed father spotted a yarn store downtown. Eek! This is the top so far. I think it will need some serious blocking for the stitches to pop, and for it not to resemble a circus tent:



As you've surely read elsewhere, the Renegade Craft Fair rolled into Williamsburg again this weekend. It was way overstimulating, between all of the crafters and crafty hipsters and Spiders, and seemed to fly by. Being a notorious cheapskate, I made my purchase judiciously.

A special little necklace from Art School Dropout.



I also bought some whimsies from fine folk at Craftster.



Here's the tunic I purchased from Super Maggie, modeled by the water after dinner tonight. I bought one of her tees last year, too. (I'm sorry this is left aligned, but I am having issues uploading photos tonight and refuse to be a perfectionist on vacation.)

supermaggie tunic

I really wish I'd taken more photos of the folks I browsed around with. I met Jess and Nancy, who is crocheting the Prepster Jacket and, to my relief, also struggling with seaming the arms. And I also finally got to meet Megan at long last!

Since I rarely get to come to the Point on Fridays, I was happy to see Lisa, Stephanie, Sandra, Virginia, E and Marie, Katie, Veronique and most especially Kaitlyn and her baby MJ (who I was so excited to meet, I burst out "Happy Birthday!" I'm not sure why.)

Michelle is definitely among the 2 percent of the population that can still pull off a bonnet. Tres Laura Ingalls Wilder!

michelle's bonnet!

And here are your friendly neighborhood Spiders at rest, which I plan to do in large amounts this week.

spiders at renegade

22 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Renegade looks like it was a good time! I'd like to knit in that backyard too. Very nice.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

The tunic looks great and that necklace was a good find! It was wonderful to see you at the fair and I hope you can join us on Fridays soon!!

9:22 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

It was great to hang out with you on saturday! And I hope that this week is relaxing and peaceful for you. See ya soon!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Looks wonderfully relaxing - have a great vacation!

10:02 PM  
Blogger gleek said...

i like the tunic a lot! great score.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Enjoy your vacation and all the lush green space! Cute purchases at the fair. I love the top!

1:19 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Everything looks so nice. Your stitches are already showing so well, I can't wait to see it blocked!

1:24 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

That backyard IS fabulous!! I'm glad you're enjoying your vacation - it sounds wonderful. It was so great to FINALLY meet you last weekend - though we'll have to meet up again soon somewhere more conducive to chatting! Overstimulating is certainly the word that best describes the event!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

Enjoy the vacation... You've earned it.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Katie said...

Hey, that tunic is awesome! Good find. As for the backyard, it simply begs for some laid back knitting time. Enjoy it. And tell us more about that yarn store!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Enjoy your vacation! So jealous of you guys that got to go to the fair!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Love the necklace. Hope you have a relaxing vacation!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love your tunic! It was great to meet you too, I'm sure we'll see eachother knitting around town sometime soon!

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

Rockport is my all time favorite place in the entire WORLD!!!!! Gloucester is a close second!!!!! Your tunic is insanely cute :D

5:56 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

i always miss the fun :(

looks like you guys had a really big turnout!

necklace is cute, tunic rocks!

hope to see you again soon :)

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

carrie, you are a hot tamale in that tunic!!!!!

boy, the first thing I did when I got back from the fair was hop in the shower and give my feet and good scrubbing. One of these days I'm going to come back from that thing and NOT look and feel like a hobo.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Enjoy your time relaxing in the backyard! That is a lovely green spot they have.

Your necklace is beautiful and so unique. What an excellent find.

I love the tunic!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous mkb_all@yahoo.com said...

Hey, I live in Rockport! Sorry to say, the local yarn store is about to close. Currently, only open on M, F, Sat. But the owner is supposed to return this Thurs (June 22) Great place, a sale may ensue, so check it out!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

So jealous of your vacation! How I long for a lush backyard. Someday...

Sounds like Renegade was fun. I'm definitely going to make it to one of those someday...

10:22 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Oh, I have to remember the Renegade Craft Fair for next year. I would love to come up for it! Such fun! You got some great goodies there!

Have fun on yuor vacation, C!

1:40 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Cute buys! Your Petunia is gorgeous too - great job.

2:47 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

1) Petunia is stunning.
2) Beautiful Mom WIP.
3) I still think knitting in the midst of Greenery is novel.
4) *GREAT* scores on the loot!
5) Sorry I've been MIA, finally catching up!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home