new banner

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

No sleep til ... Queens?

We've had a rough few nights over here in Every Word's a Purl world. It all started around 4:40 a.m. Monday, when I was awakened by the truly frightening sound of a dance version of Journey's "Faithfully." It was so loud that I could feel its terrible bass line in my bones. Someone in my building was blasting this monstrosity of a song into our courtyard for reasons that I simply cannot fathom. I hollered out my window, like that was going to do anything, then turned on CNN and fell asleep. (Ah, the joys of a studio apartment. I can fall asleep watching either my TV or my stove.)

So Tuesday morning at the same time, I was roused by equally bad music. Seems the neighbor directly below me feels the need to listen to WPLJ in the dead of night and blare horrid ditties like "Last Dance with Mary Jane" and "Raspberry Beret." Actually, I like Prince, but not when I'm supposed to be asleep. And who picks this playlist?

I hollered again then called 311, the city's quality of life line. Nothing happened. So I got up the nerve to go downstairs, pound on their door and yell that they needed to turn their music down. Yeah, they didn't.

When I got back upstairs, I realized that this was a supremely stupid thing for me to do. They could have grabbed me, pulled me into their apartment and murdered me, and no one would have realized for hours! Maybe not until I went to work! And now maybe they know where I live! (Is it my job that makes me paranoid, or living in New York?) So today I just wrote them a stern note saying that, gosh darn it, I'm calling the police next time. That should show them. Harumph!

Despite my fragile state, I have been able to knit. I started Fad Classic because it has NO SEAMS. And after my prepster jacket breakdown -- thanks for the support, by the way -- I was dying for something seamless. But this doesn't mean that Fad Classic is easy as pie.



Basically you knit the two straps then connect the front and back. It's the connecting that killed me. I kept getting interrupted at crucial moments in the process and actually yelled at Jon, "This is a crucial moment!" And he replied, "It's been a crucial moment for 40 minutes!" But after three tries (blush), I got it right.

And during the West Wing and Grey's Anatomy finales, I decided to work on the neckline and armhole ribbing. This way, I'd get the tedious picking-up-of-stitches out of the way, plus I wouldn't run out of yarn. I'm sorry, is this getting boring? Here's where I was last night, mere hours before the world's lamest dance party started downstairs.



I fear it looks a little dowdy right now, but I think it will look super cute when complete. For the first time in my knitting life, I'm on a serious vest kick. I really must cast on soon for Diamonique, and I think I physically need to make Ms. Marigold. Sooo adorable.

Oh, and a little love for Project Spectrum's May color, green. See that baby? That's my assignment editor's son, wearing the little cap that I knit for him!

24 Comments:

Blogger *karen said...

I've never commented here before, but as someone who works in journalism (and knits!), I understand your paranoia. Kudos for the courage to knock on the door. Happy knitting...

3:51 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I think the paranoia definitely comes from the job and then is aggravated by NY. Just a guess.
And I hate that Journey remake. I don't know if I could be as tolerant as you are with the neighbors. I'm a cop caller. Its pretty unwise to mess with my sleep :)
Fad looks like its coming along really well!

4:48 AM  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

I think the paranoia is just from the fact that this is the world we live in these days. I had a similar experience in my last apartment and later thought to myself "that was really stupid" too.

Love the vest patterns. Thanks for posting them!

Jessica

5:56 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

yeah, when you told me you knocked on the door, i was thinking "hmm, she must be living in a really civilized neighborhood or something" but then when you expressed your anxieties about knocking, yeah, you live in a regular NYC neighborhood. a couple days ago one of my neighbors was playing the same song for OVER AN HOUR! I can't even tell you what song it was -- it was instrumental -- and I thought my head was going to explode.

I get the urgency with Ms. Marigold. It's freaking beautiful!

that's funny: "it's been a crucial moment for 40 minutes!"

7:16 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Once I was kept awake by the people upstairs playing one part of the Lionel Richie/Diana Ross classic "Endless Love."

"And your eyes/your eyes/your eyes...
They show me how much you care!!"

Definitely one of the cirlces of hell.

8:52 AM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

Ha, I have done the samething you did Carrie. Yep, it isn't until afterwards how you start thinking what could have happened. You are really a fast knitter! Look at how quick you are moving along on this red top. I like the Diamonique too and in black!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I can see why you pounded on that dunderhead's door, but I do understand the fear too.

Fad Classic doesn't have any seams? OK, I'm going to have to take a closer look at that pattern.

9:51 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

keep on calling 311! eventually something will be done about it. how annoying!

lisa is working on the fad classic too in almost the same color. you two will be twins :)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I think we need to make signs to post when we are at some crucial knitting point. It never fails, Joe disturbs me when I've discovered a dropped stitch, I'm picking up stitches, or what have you...and I'm a snarling meanie. I think the sign idea is a good one. It would certainly cut down on bruised feelings and snappy growls.

10:12 AM  
Blogger pixienyc said...

I agree with gleek - keep calling 311 and eventually they'll take notice that they keep getting calls about the same apartment and do something. And you won't be the only one calling, I'm sure.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I've not had a lot of luck with 311 here in Chicago. I hope you eventually get some help there. Living in NY definitely makes one more apt to take matters into one's own hands, I think. (That's the effect it had on me.) Thanks for taking the "tour" or Philly on my blog. PA is a big state. I just got to Pittsburgh for the first time last year.

10:48 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Wow, and I thought my neighbor emphatically pulling her door shut about 20 times at 11 pm was bad! So sorry, hope it gets sorted out so you can sleep again.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

ARGh I hate those types of neighbors. We had those upstairs stomping around at 5 am every morning - I called 311 like 4 times and you know...the next week the stopped...just like that - I wonder if they sent some cops by or something. If you have any friends who are cops you should ahve them stop by!

1:46 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Holy crap, that's horrible! I would be so mad too. Some people are so inconsiderate of those around them.

I'm wanting to make that Fad Classic too. I'm thinking vests are in right now, or I might just be trying to justify my wanting to make all the ones I see.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a real problem unlike my crazy neighbour downstairs who comes up every so often and gives out about "the noise of your typing" - it's more than a little extreme. Btw, I also love love love my green ipod :-)
Vida

2:24 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

i would have never had the guts to go downstairs! my neighbors love to blast spanish music, but they always turn it off before 9pm.

but really - did you have to put Tom Petty in the "horrible" category too! Should I be embarrassed to say Last Dance with Mary Jane is one of my favorite songs! ;)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Rude neighbors suck! 311 has usually worked for us in Chicago - but I'm sure NYC is a whole different story!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh goodness... what does it mean that when you mentioned a dance version of a Journey song that my face immediately lit up and I went bouncing around the room? Perhaps I'm a child of the 80's and fell victim to the bad music trap. Not cool however, to blast music at ungodly hours of the morning. Glad you're still here though to tell us about it.

4:53 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

Wow, look at you go on that Fad Classic! I love the color!

I've had to make several noise complaints against my neighbors next door. When I called them in as noise complaints, it's like the authorities took their sweet time coming over. The one time I called and reported suspicious activity that possibly involved drug trafficking, domestic violence, and other illegal paraphernalia, they came right over! Turns out, I was correct even though I made up that story.
Scary how even home can't be a totally safe place! I should go secure my yarn...

5:28 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

First you are not paranoid NY is no joke. Second my husband interupted me while I was counting stiches and I shushed and waved him away at the same time so I get the crucial moment thing. And I am also on a vest/no sleeve kick. I just finished Ruby and have moved on to another sleeveless number
= )

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

That, my dear, is the ONE thing I will not miss about living in the city. Annoying, obnoxious, inconsiderate, piece o' sh*t neighbors. I had the same problem with the guy who lived above me when I used to live in the Upper West. I used to bang a broom handle up on the ceiling, go up and tell him to turn it down on numerous occasions. Would not freaking listen. Grrrr. But I don't blame you for being paronoid. There are a lot of whack jobs out there. Believe me. There was this crazy guy that would go up on my boyfriend's apartment buildings and yell out how he was going to slit the throats of all of the females tenants in the building. The police was called on NUMEROUS occasions but the police would never do anything about it. Double Grrr. That guy seems to have disappeared as of late, tho. Whew.

Anyhoo, you Fad Classic is going to be the prettiest thing ever. I might have to copy you and lisa and make a red FC for myself. I'm on a big red kick lately.

Sorry about the long-ass comment. I'll try to keep things nice and pithy next time around.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

Loud music coming from other people's apartments is pretty much my biggest pet peeve ever. I guess it's not even a "pet peeve," it's more like an "oh my god you're killing me!" thing.

Love the green stuffs!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous amanda said...

OH the joys of living in NYC! I'm sorry your neighbors are horrible! We have twin newborns above us and they are constantly dropping their bottles and crying and doing all sorts of fun stuff. You are flying through Fad Classic. I might start that soon.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

so excited to see your fad classic!!

i must be honest...i love my new neighbor. loud people (at 3am) drive me NUTS! Good luck getting them to quiet down :)

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home