new banner

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

no apologies here

Seems like whenever anyone writes a post about the Sheep and Wool festival, they apologize profusely for prattling on and on about it. But why? Previous years, before I actually got to go, I loved reading everyone's accounts of overdosing on sock yarn or having brushes with knitterati. So, without any apologies, I present you with some highlights from my first trip to the festival.

Fellow Spider Julsey and her remarkably patient husband were kind enough to let me hitch a ride. Here she is, working on an overdue Grumpecue blanket.



I know knitting is popular, but I was still floored by the number of cars there! We basically parked in the District of Columbia and walked to the fest. We were a tad late for the blogger meet-up and somehow missed our beloved Sandra, which stinks.

But I can't tell you how thrilled I was to see designer extraordinaire, Saun! I think I shrieked when I saw her -- I'm such a big fan. (Diamonique is my next real project.)



I was lucky that my college roommate, Jen, lives not far away, and I was tickled that she could come. Relatively new to knitting, Jen desperately needed to enhance her stash. This is after only a few minutes in the main exhibition hall.



Of course, everyone made it over to the Brooks Farm tent. Good gravy, that yarn was gorgeous. I was lucky enough to see my friend Lolly again and briefly meet Jenna who probably thought I was nuts because I was so crazy about the yarn.



I ran into Jen in one of the booths and decided to stand and point at her until she saw me. She let me know that Jess and Maya were running around. And who was sitting on the grass near the Brooks Farm tent but all three of them?



(I cut myself out of this photo because, well, you know what I look like and, well, it made me look like a man.) Jess was disturbed to find out that I can't knit in the car and suggested Dramamie -- such a sweetie. I really hope next time around I can spend a little more time with them -- sounds like they had quite a Saturday night, from what I've read so far.

Here are Julsey and I, visibly exhausted, with our purchases.



And here's the bootiful bootie. It ain't much, but I really can't buy yarn without a project. I know, there's something wrong with me.

I couldn't resist some Brooks Farm Harmony in a colorway I just discovered was called, inexplicably, Xanadu. (I once had a yoga instructor who thought this was really an emotional song, but Olivia Newton-John only serves to crack me up.) I also bought two skeins of Misty Mountain Farm's Merino Handpaint that I thought I'd use for socks for my dad, but even he might think it's too loud.



And, in keeping with Every Word's a Purl tradition, the dumbest thing I did all day was NOT buy a skein of Cherry Tree Hill yarn that was calling my name. Oh, the regret!

30 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Oooo! I am so jealous! But like you I feel people should not hide their enthusiasm about about the festival and I'm glad to hear you had such a good time. And got to meet so many bloggers! I'm also impressed that you didn't go nuts with buy yarn. Great pics!

2:22 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Yes, since I couldn't attend the Fest, I am dying to hear people gush about the knitterati and their Brooks Farm binges! Looks like you had a fabulous time, saw some amazing people, and brought back some nice booty. And I am DEFINITELY going to NY Sheep and Wool!

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Looks like so much fun, glad you had such a great time, and the yarn is gorgeous!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

It was great to see you again, Carrie! I second Jess's suggestion of Dramamine. It helps me with knitting and reading in the car... I usually get really carsick!

Love that picture of you and Sauniell!

I am so glad you were able to make it down for the Festival! You got some real goodies :)

Love,
L

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Dipsy D. said...

Hi from Austria! Wow, I almost got jealous when I read through your story of the Festival and seeing all those great pics - it seems you had such ana amzing time there meeting all those girls and almost drowning in heaps of yarn - sounds like paradise to me! I adore reading through all these accounts of the festivals, there's definitely no need for anyone to write about it - for us who haven't been there these stories and pics make us feel as if we'd been there! So - thanks so much for sharing!

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

got to admit that my main source of jealousy is less the wool but more the fact that you all look so sunned-up! Why hasn't summer reached this side of the Atlantic yet?!
Vida

8:28 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for prattling on about MSW! I love reading everyone's posts about it. I am so going next year.

8:40 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

i like to hear what people do and experience no matter where they go. that's why i read their blogs. if the way they talk about things doesn't interest me, i just move on to other blogs i like better. it seems to be a really common trope in the blog world to apologize for what you write about or to apologize for what you've done or not done. weird. reading yours is always nice cause you're just who you are. sweet!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Carrieoke said...

sounds like so much fun! I'm so bummed I didn't get to meet you, but RHINEBECK.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous amanda said...

Looks like you all had a great time... you bought some beautiful yarn!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

I'm so glad we caught you before we/you left! it was great to meet you in person - but I hope we get to hang out more next time! ;-)

11:27 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Oh so jealous! Thanks for the wonderful pictures of the bloggers you met and the fab yarn you bought! Sounds like such a fun day.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I love reading about all the fun everyone had!!

Sounds like you had a great time!!

If it makes you feel better I can't knit in the car either. I'll have to try Dramamine!!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Biglug said...

It was superfun meeting you! You have to come to Rhinebeck so we can hang out longer!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

I actually looked for that Cherry Tree hill yarn online...and couldn't find it either.

It was fun - never let people bully you into feeling sorry about recounting your experiences!

Can't wait to hang out again :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger gleek said...

definitely DO NOT apologize. i wish i could have gone with you! it looks like you had a great time :) in the future, always buy yarn when you really want it. you never know if you'll ever find it again!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Completely.Jealous.

I am glad you had a great time. Looks like you came away with some great knitblogger encounters and great yarn bootie!

12:38 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I am still bummed I missed you! What great photos, though!

12:48 PM  
Blogger weaselrina said...

:::sigh::: i'm so jealous. I wish i'd gone.

I will def. go to NY this year for sure!

Thanks for the post!

1:13 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

I am so jealous I can't stand it. Looks like an awesome day!! I love the baby wrap too...so cute with the embroidery.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

So jealous - looks like you had a great time!

3:04 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

wooow!!!! jealous! you picked up some nice yarn, though. and sounds like you had a great time! thanks for sharing. i'll probably be living vicariously for a while through knit bloggers lucky enough to live in places where they have sheep and wool festivals, so you can share all you want!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

The festival sounds so fun! I wich I didn't live all the way accross the country from it! I'm like you- I need a project in mind to buy yarn. I'm worried that if I buy yarn blindly, when I do decide what I want to knit with it, I won't have enough and then I'll be disappointed. Or something like that.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Looks like you both had a great time! I don't mind people telling everything about all the fun. I've got to live vicariously.

6:32 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

Yeah, I would have loved to have met up with you too!! Just glad you got to go even if it's at the last minute. Pictures are wonderful!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

still kicking myself for not bothering to get your number. Nuts.

looks like you had a stupendous time there. i don't really follow that many knit blogs so I didn't really know anyone there. I totally missed that handpainted yarn stand. double nuts.

and i definately have to look into dramamine. all i have to do is flip through a couple of pages of a magazine and my lunch comes up whenever I'm riding in a car.

so, when are you going to see the Metsies? more importantly, when am I going to see you, period?

7:16 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

So glad you had a good time. I did as well. I'm pretty new to the blogosphere so I didn't meet/meet up with anyone. I'm already planning to go back to MSW next year. Unfortunately, Rhinebeck is not a good weekend for me, but I am going to check out the Wisconsin S&WF--much closer to home.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Lovely pictures. I'm so jealous, wish we have this kinda festival out here.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous frecklegirl jess said...

So happy you were able to come last minute! I was so excited when Jen said you were there...

You are the cutest!

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Xanadu seems like a perfectly appropriate name for that luscious Brooks Farms crack - every skein of that stuff is a friggin' pleasure dome. Here's a URL to the Coleridge poem if you haven't read it: http://etext.virginia.edu/stc/Coleridge/poems/Kubla_Khan.html

I need to get my hands on some more Brooks Farms, now that I've been so good and knit up all the Duet I bought at Rhinebeck!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home