new banner

Friday, April 14, 2006

We have a winner!

Well, basically anyway. No one precisely guessed my VERY FIRST EVER knitting project, which I suppose isn't surprising since it was a little lilac bag.



Complicated, ain't it? Actually, calling it a bag is being kind. I basically knit a swatch, I believe with a skein of Caron Wintuk in soft lilac, and crocheted the sides together. No mattress stitch needed!

It was my first semester of grad school and I was already crocheting and sewing up a storm, so much so that I took a job at a craft store. I decided there weren't enough cool crochet patterns, so I bought the cheapo yarn, size 7 Susan Bates needles and a copy of The Crocheter's Guide to knitting. There you have it.

A few of you guessed purple items, but only one reader guessed a bag. So Michelle wins the yarn from Brooklyn Handspun! And that concludes the blogiversary festivities.

So speaking of yarn -- and when am I not? -- my postman brought my Cascade Quattro for the prepster jacket in Happy Hooker. The color is awfully bright, but I really don't need another neutral blazer. I can't wait to start -- but I am determined to finish Forecast first. I only have the button bands to go, so I predict I'll be blocking by Sunday.



Oh, and two little items:

If you haven't already, and you probably have, be sure to check out Pure Knits, the new shop from the lovely Yahaira. The site is temporarily down while she does some upkeep, but stop by soon.

And this is the cutest Easter craft ever -- spool animals via Wee Wonderfuls. Be sure to check out her new website, Thrift Craft, which is all about living la vida thrift store.

Happy Passover and Easter!

15 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Ooooh, that color is so pretty. As soon as I master this whole crochet thing (probably September I'll get that single chain down) that jacket is the top of my list. I'm looking forward to your adventures with it. I can't wait to see your forcast too :)

4:51 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I agree - that's a great color! Cant wait to see the finished forecast.

7:25 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

oooh, i love that quattro color! that's gonna be one awesome jacket! i'm thinking about making the jacket with some black debbie bliss cotton silk aran i have. hmmm.

can't wait to see forecast!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The quattro is going to look lovely as that jacket!

Oooo, so close yet so far away with my guess...

10:55 AM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

I think the first thing I ever knit was a coral rectangle that I never managed to cast off because I didn't know how. After that I thought I'd try an ivory scarf and started to make up stitches (bad idea). I tried so hard to remember everything my gramma had shown me but essentially it turned out to be a somtimes hole-y, somtimes garter stitch, wide at one end and skinny at the other, scarf. Sometimes I wear it and pretend that it's made by some local designer and it's supoosed to look so "urban" and "raw" (both eumphamisms). My point here is nice bag!

12:37 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

The quattro yarn is beautiful.
Happy Easter to you!!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh that'll be ubercute for that blazer. Can't wait to see how the return to crochet works out for you.

I just went on a Cascade spree myself... the easter sale over at Bo Peep's Wool shop lets you special order ANY color cascade 220 (except tweeds) for the ridiculous price of $4.20.

Happy blogiversary!

4:52 PM  
Blogger candsmom said...

Congratulations to Michelle! I love your new Quattro- it's going to be such a cute blazer in that color! Take care and have a wonderful Easter, Carrie! :-)

1:59 AM  
Blogger Kuka said...

hey the bag is cute for a first project - and way more original than a scarf! hehe
Thanks for coming by my blog! =)
And those quizzes are soooo addictive!
forecast looks great so far - good luck with the finishing up!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

that's a great first project! I wouldn't have thought of that when I started knitting.

That blazer is one of my favorite things in Happy Hooker. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I like that you immediately evolved from "dishcloth" to "purse". A fearless knitter from the start!

That color is really cool! Your jacket is gonna be awesome!

6:40 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

I can't believe I won something! I'm really impressed with your first project. My first scarf NEVER leaves my drawer. And that's a great jacket from happy hooker (and a great color you picked out) and I can't wait to see you make it!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey, Carrie! I tagged you for a meme over on my blog. It's a quick one, but let me know if you're not the tagging type :) Hope you had a great Easter/Passover/Weekend!

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that colour is going to suit your hair so well! Meanwhile I have to ask the obvious question about the bag - did you ever actually use it?! Happy Easter, and thanks for the blogging, it's good entertainment for this Irish/English amateur knitter,
Vida

9:22 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I can't wait to see your quattro jacket. That color is beautiful! I would really like to learn crochet, but it seems really difficult to me. My first project was positively hideous. I even threw it away!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home