new banner

Friday, April 21, 2006

Stitching along

As I've mentioned before, I learned to crochet first. This probably explains why I knit Continental, or so I'm told, and it also probably explains why I don't buy into the whole silly crochet vs. knitting smackdown. I'll say it loud and proud -- I love granny squares. A lot. Then again, I've always had a kitschy '70s aesthetic and secretly covet shag rugs and all things avocado. So my taste is slightly suspect.

But I must admit that knitting was winning the Carrie popularity contest in recent years. With the exception of afghans, nothing crochet was really calling to me. But now, and please please pardon the pun, I'm hooked again. It didn't do much for me the first time that I flipped through it, but now I want to crochet maybe four more things in the Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet book.



(Because my apartment basically lacks any natural light, these photos don't really communicate the beauty of the Cascade Quatro yarn. But you get the idea.)

Anyway, I've been really zipping through the Prepster. Is there a crochet equivalent for cast on? Well, I did that for this project over the weekend and already I've finished the back and two front sides. I know -- it's sort of looking like a boxy, ugly vest at this point. And those weird slits will some day be cute pockets!



Crocheting has its perks. Let me tell you -- crocheted short rows are a lot simpler than knit ones. And crochet goes so darn fast. Double crochet rows are like a quarter inch each. But there is one serious drawback. I can't stare at the television while crocheting the way I do when I'm knitting. Basically, I have to look down every time I insert the hook. I simply can't blindly poke around in the fabric.

Don't think I've forgotten Forecast. I sewed only seven buttons on, and I think it's a major improvement. I'll take some photos this weekend.

I'm also sort of surprised that I failed to create anything orange or yellow for
Project Spectrum, seeing as they're kind of my favorites. But it wasn't in the cards this month. So here's another little mosaic.



And lastly, I haven't given you a Dumbest Thing I Did All Week in ages. So let's see. In the elevator a few days ago, I struck up a conversation with a cop about how people on the upper East Side are spoiled since they are typically so far removed from the terrible crimes that besiege the other boroughs, like stray bullets shooting kids and such. I thoughtlessly said that the worst thing they have to worry about is someone stealing their chihuahua. "I love chihuahuas," she said. "And mine died last week." Oops.

27 Comments:

Blogger Lolly said...

That's right - don't buy the whole crochet v. knitting thing! Silly factions to pull crafters apart ;) Way to go on the blazer, Carrie. That is going to be so cute!

Love the mosaic - Mary Tyler Moore lightswitch cover? Sheer brilliance!!

Best wishes,
Lolly

6:21 AM  
Anonymous kellilee said...

I just started to crochet and I look forward to following the progress of your Prepster. I'm actually self-teaching (with no knitting experience in recent years). In fact, I was drawn to crochet by the kitsch of the granny square. After I finish my first project (a table runner from Erika Knight's Simple Crochet made with kitchen twine and linen yarn), I'll check out the Happy Hooker patterns. Thanks!

7:51 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I like to crochet, but it makes my wrists hurt - do you think I'm holding it weird?

And OUCH for that foot-in-the-mouth scene. I HATE it when I say something like that.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Wow!! Prepster is coming along quickly!

I love your mosaic!! Such great stuff in there!

I second the Mary light switch! It seems so fitting!

8:19 AM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

I was knitting on the subway once and an older lady told me the only reason young women were knitting these days was so that we could make an excuse for watching television all night. I didn't want to admit that I may be guilty as charged...

I love all things '70s too and I love all those pictures you took. Oh, and like that cop, I do love chihuahuas too, although I don't have one.

8:22 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

someday, i will crochet. i can't believe how fast you completed those pieces (and without any tv watching?!) i could never go so fast if i wasn't watching a movie or something. your anecdote about the ues and dogs totally reminded me of that seinfeld episode about the pony.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

That jacket is going to be so cute! I found a lot in that book I want to make as well.

9:10 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

i also found tons of stuff in the happy hooker that, upon reflection, i want to make! you should see nancy's capelet thing that she made. it's amazing...

anyway, you're doing a bangup job on that jacket! i can't wait to see it all put together! i want to make it as well so i'm glad i'll have someone to ask questions of :)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I don't see the crochet/knitting faction thing either. I think both are important and have their uses. I'm a super slow crocheter though. It's one of the reasons I haven't done more of it.

9:58 AM  
Blogger pixienyc said...

Wow, prepster is looking good! I started mine a couple of days ago and I'm almost to the armholes on the back. Can you believe this is already my third project from that book? Someone may need to organize an intervention...

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

I could never get the hang of crochet. For some reason I think it's harder than knitting. You're breezing through the blazer. I can't wait to see the end result. I love all your orangey stuff :-)

10:38 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Wow, that went quick!
And I'm glad to learn that I live in a safe neighborhood, where the only worry is about my (nonexistent) chihuahua.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

It's looking good!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Could be worse... the cop could have lived on the upper east side and had her chihuahua stolen before it died at the hands of some really messed up people.

I may have to start crocheting as well. I liked a few of the pieces from last fall's Interweave Crochet (which is on my bookshelf) and I do remember it being pretty fast...

Now you've got me hooked.

11:53 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Prepster is looking great (fantastic color choice, by the way) and you are right, crochet is WAY faster. I can't remember which I learned to do first, but I've been knitting and crocheting since way back when, and crochet was winning the popularity contest for a while there.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

I love me a good granny square too. No shame in that, is there? I really want to learn how to crochet baskets. But crochet is definitely not my forte.

I love all your orange stuff! It's one of my faves too...

12:16 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Can't wait to see the finished Prepster jacket - it might convince me to finally learn how to crochet!

1:55 PM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

Nice work with the cop, atleast you didn't get arrested. One time I was over at my friends house for dinner and I was fairly young (about 11). I was trying to be funny so out of the blue I was like "Yeah, Richard is the dumbest name ever. Only hairdressers are named Richard." Then her dad told me that his name was Richard and I crawled into a black hole...The dumbest thing is that I don't even think I had anything against the name, I was just trying to be a comedian.

2:15 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

wow, that was a total "open mouth, insert foot" moment with the chihuahuas, huh?
crochet is indeed quick. one is not better than the other. perhaps they are cycled depending on your mood, but they are equally satisfying in my book.
lovely mosaic.
i can't wait to see your finished jacket and forecast! you are so efficient! (as in, you finish what you start in a timely manner. i am such a knitting polygamist, it's not even funny.)

2:43 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

Wow, you Supergirl with this crocheting! If I didn't get carpel tunnel crocheting, I would be doing Prepster pattern. Your mosiac is so creative.

6:23 PM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

The crochet looks great! I'd like to learn this year. On Sunday I'm going to a SnB:HH book signing @ my LYS - looking forward to it! :)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Here in Chicago on the Gold Coast (our Upper East Side equivalent), it's all about the Bichon Frise. My co-worker and I theorize that there is only one little white dog on the Gold Coast; it just gets walked by different people all day long.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

You are so funny. Talking to strangers in New York always is risky business! I love your prepster jacket and I admire your crochet skills. Sadly, I haven't really touched Stitch N Bitch crochet since I bought it. There's something a little intimidating to me about crochet. Have a super weekend Carrie, and watch out for strangers!!

9:42 AM  
Blogger weaselrina said...

Oy .. on the chihuahua conversation. I hate when that happens, and I know it well, my foot spends a lot of time in my mouth.

I never got the craft war (knit vs crochet), I'm a better knitter than I am a crocheter, but I LOVE granny squares.

Thanks for visiting me :)

1:18 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

bahahah. the elevator conversation is so terrible! poor girl. i would love to be able to crochet well, but i cant seem to get the hang of it. i saw the happy hooker book and considered getting it but im not convinced it is gonna help me learn granny squares and short rows... ill probably give it a go once i get some steam for crafting.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

I don't get crochet and I don't think I ever will. . . :P Something about holding the yarn in your left hands seems so very wrong to me.

But ooh, can't wait to see you modelling off Prepster. it's going to be so very cute.

btw, let me know if there is a particular Mets game you'd like to go to. I'd be willing to take a day off during the middle of the week to make things easier on you. :)

6:43 PM  
Blogger marie in florida said...

i've been crocheting since the early 70's so i've seen ALL the patterns. LOL, nothing new but i'm glad to see the young'uns taking up crochet. i'm also very glad to see how that jacket is working out, i want to make it too.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home