new banner

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Forecast forecast ... and a confession

Why do we do it? Why do we continue knitting and sewing and finishing even when we know we're headed for disaster? Why did I sew 10 buttons on my Forecast even though I knew that was far too many? Honestly, it looks like a button traffic jam.



I dunno, it reminds me of driving over the spindly, windy outer roadway of the Queensboro Bridge with some stinking livery cab on my bumper. "Beep beep! Get off my tail!"

Anyway, I blocked it nonetheless, and now I am convinced that it's time for button removal and recalculations. Maybe just seven? Or eight? I just think 10 looks way too crowded. The button band is completely overloaded. It will be a serious pain, but at least I won't have to pick up stitches again.

Now, my Forecast confession. And I'm pretty embarrassed. See, everyone knitting this sweater seems to be tweaking the cable/bobble pattern a little. Many of us are doing the three-stitch bobble instead of five, some are going strictly cable, others trying out new stitch patterns altogether. All very adventurous. So I, too, did something a little different, only in my case it was a mistake.

Truth is, I haven't used a chart in a while, so the bobble/cable pattern chart confused me. The instructions clearly say to "sl 1, p to end" on the wrong side rows and work the nine-stitch cable pattern only on the right side. Simple, right?

But every knitter worth her weight in fun fur knows that you work the chart on each and every row. And I knew it too, only I didn't remember that I knew it until maybe two and a half repeats in. So my cables are longer and there are far fewer of them, which, I'm telling myself, makes them more streamlined and less busy.



With luck, I'll have her all figured out by this weekend for a photo shoot with the long-suffering boyfriend. In the meantime, I'll show you my progress on the crocheted Prepster Jacket. I'm really cruising on this baby, but progress shots of crochet look rather dull. Here's the armhole shaping! Ooh! Aah!

18 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I'm oohing and awing over the Prepster Jacket! I can't wait to see more :)
I've made that same chart mistake a few times. Sometimes it matters other times no. From the pics you show it looks like yours is just another variation on the theme of deviating from Forecast. Yep, that's it.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Sachi said...

Awww... I say you post pics of the whole thing and let us give you some advice! But then, if you truly hate it, rip away.

3:55 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

wow, i can't wait to see what it's going to look like! i'm so curious, with all these pieces, it's hard to put together how it will turn out. Good luck figuring it out!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow, Prepster is going fast.

Don't feel bad about your variation on Forecast. It really does look nice. The buttons you chose are great with the yarn too.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

You'll feel better after ripping the button band and putting on less buttons. Go with your gut instinct on this one. About the cables, well, I wouldn't worry about that one. It probably looks fine.

9:45 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

everybody's forecast is coming out different :) and you should definitely rip it if you think it's too many buttons. don't want to fo on button overload!

9:56 AM  
Blogger pixienyc said...

I'm planning to start prepster today. What hook size did you use to get gauge? I'm curious because I had to go up a few sizes, which is very unusual for me (usually I have to go down). I love the color you chose. It looks great.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Funny, but I don't think I knew that little bit about working the chart on every row... I guess one learns these things over time...

I think your Forecast looks lovely.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I can't wait to see Forecast modeled!! I'm sorry you have to rip it but it's better that you are 100% happy with it than not.

Oh & I can't wait to see your prepster! I just ordered the book & that was one of my favorite patterns!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

I'll be intersted to see your final results for forecast. You definitely seem to have a handle on the whole thing. :-)

Can't wait to see that jacket!

12:55 PM  
Anonymous lisa said...

I second sachi - let's see a full pic!! If the button spacing bothers you, totally fix it... I'd say less buttons are more on that cardi, given the cabling, bobbling, etc.

The Prepster is looking gooood! Love that bright color!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hmm.. I might agree with you on the less is more on the button band. Plus, then if you want to button it up later, you'll save time with fewer buttons!

can't wait to see what it looks like. What color Cascade 220 is that again?

2:27 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

I actually agree that those cables look streamlined - I like it! And the prepster jacket is going to be k-ute! Great color.

2:55 PM  
Blogger marie in florida said...

i'm thinking of making the Prepster Jacket for my GodSister. i'm glad to see crochet comming back into it's own. i've been crocheting since 1974ish, so i've seen a lot of patterns, but that's a nice one.

7:56 PM  
Blogger lowercasecarmen said...

Maybe you should try to fit TWENTY buttons on the second time around. If anyone tries to tell you that something's off about your sweater just snicker, shake your head with a smile, and say "Wow, you really must be living in 2005. This is New York baby, you're the one who's off." I'm sure a global following will commence.

9:52 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

You are flying right along on this Prepster Jacket! Can't wait to see it finished.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

Despite having too many buttons (which I'll take your word for- the picture of 2 buttons doesn't really show it), they do look great with the yarn! I have the hardest time deciding on buttons. I can't wait to see your forecast. That's my favorite apttern from the book.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Kelly B said...

Thanks for your prayers to the Knitting Fairies... but I ran out of yarn for my Deep V last night! Tear. I guess I'll just have to wait a week for my order to come in.

Anyway, I CAN NOT WAIT to see the Prepster Jacket. I might have to buy the Happy Hooker for that pattern alone.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home