new banner

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Meow meow meow meow

I have to be honest with you. I'm smitten with this kitten, and not just because that rhymes. I basically ignored the Oscars and instead admired this little lady.



I'm calling her Tabby because she likes to read the New York tabloids. Except for the free ones. She believes they just clutter the subways. And, she reasons, you get what you pay for, which explains why the Post is only a quarter. But she digresses.

Tabby is my contribution to Lolly's Project Spectrum, which encourages participants to experiment with a different color scheme every month. March is red and pink. This was a great chance for me to dive into my fabric stash, which grows exponentially because I love buying fabric but never get around to sewing. (You wouldn't either if you had to sew on the floor of your apartment. Not so ergonomically sound.)

I stumbled upon the pattern for Pointy Kitty last month at one of my favorite blogs, Wee Wonderfuls. If you haven't stopped over there, you should. She shares my love for vintage toys, groovy fabrics, and adorable children's book illustrations. I'm endlessly impressed and inspired by her keen eye for design, and, at long last, she's releasing patterns for her adorable softies.

Here's Tabby, making a run for it.



And here she is, ready for her close-up, natural light be darned.



I'm acutely aware that I'm no great seamstress, and perhaps I should keep my day hobby. (Eh?)

My deficiencies might be blamed on my aged Singer, which I picked up for free when I moved into an attic apartment in New Haven a few years ago. The previous tenant apparently had a nervous breakdown and left a drum set, fur coat, bong and sewing machine behind. I was of course drooling over the Singer, but it has some quirks, and even though I have the owner's manual, I still don't understand what all of the knobs do. How many things can possibly be adjusted?

But this pattern is fun and simple and all around delightful. I'm pondering a companion for Tabby -- after I start my Somewhat Cowl!

29 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Too adorable! I love the fabric you chose. I wonder if you can scale down the pattern for kittens... But then I'd stick with my day hobby if I had to sew on the floor.
Did you keep the fur coat and drums too? :)

2:41 AM  
Anonymous kaitlyn said...

first off, LOVE the kitty! It reminds me of toys my mom made when we were babies :) speaking of--take a pic of the singer, it sounds like it might be a similar beast to my mom's machine... which needs special love to sing properly!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

No great seamstress?! - that is fantastic!! You should definitely keep that Singer handy. What a great contribution to Project Spectrum.

7:42 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

SO. CUTE!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow, that's adorable. You are an excellent seamstress!

8:14 AM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

So cute -- I love that you branched beyond knitting for PS! I love wee wonderfuls too -- I've been meaning to make those little stuffies that kind of look like Russian stacking dolls, but my motivation to sew is sadly lacking. Great job though, I love the fabric!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Carrie, little kitty is just so cute! I love that pattern and have had it in mind for awhile. I am thinking of making it one of my April projects - I have a soft spot for orange cats! ;) Thanks for showing off your lovely version!

So, this Sunday... you got any spare time? :)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Kelly B said...

Tabby is so cute! I just love that fabric. I wish I could sew. Oh well, I'll put it on my list of hobbies to master before I die...

8:46 AM  
Blogger Kym said...

OMG- Tabby is so cute!!! I really like your fabric choice too. Great job!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

Tabby is SO adorable - that really is fantastic. I might need to pull out the old sewing machine and make a toy for my nephew that's on the way! You've insipred me!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love it! What a great project for Spectrum.

10:34 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

ooooooh, so cute!!! great job!

and thanks for the wee wonderfuls link. i'm in love already.

10:47 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

That's a beautiful sweater -- how did I miss that! And I love your tabby (and it's funny how you brought in the current talk about subway litter). How does she feel about the current con ed problems everywhere (We had an electrical fire something or other outside our house last two nights ago -- no power, the co alarm, everything, so we got out of there). Oh, and I think that bloglines makes it like I have a new post when I just have a draft? I think that's what happenend to you. Try now, it's there.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Awww, she's soooo cute! I love her. The fabric is adorable too. I really want to sew, but then I'd have to give up knitting time and as it is, I barely have enough knitting time these days with the gym cutting into my time.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

AHHHHH! Another masterpiece from you. Say what you will, but everything you make turns out so great. You are amazing!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Nessie Noodle said...

that is so darned cute! you did a really good job-

5:13 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

awe! she's so cute! i think you did a great job.

9:57 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. About Knit Simple magazine: There are some really fun hip patterns, and then there are patterns that you might find on "You Knit What." That one pattern that I made was fantastic, and well written, which is a plus. I didn't like the last issue, which was the premier issue. Let's just say that I'll buy it sometimes if there's a pattern that catches my eye, but definitely not subscribe to it.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

So cute! I was thinking about making that, but now I really want to. It would make a good baby shower gift, huh? :-)

10:12 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I love her! And - Ella? Also stunning.

10:13 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Tabby - you are CUTE!!! I love that fabric. Tabby was well worth a few cricks and creaks from sitting on the floor. No doubt about it. :-)

2:00 PM  
Blogger candsmom said...

Tabby is adorable!! I really like the fabric you chose...she's just the cutest! I love Wee Wonderfuls, too- her projects are always amazing. What a fantastic project for Project Spectrum. I'm hoping to dust off the old sewing machine for Spectrum, too, at some point. ;-) Take care, Carrie! :-)

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Wanett said...

When my husband asks me what I'm making and why I can direct him to your blog and blame you. As soon as I saw that kitty I followed the link. Before I knew what happened I had a cute little wee and the pieces to make my very own pointy kitty. Like I needed more distractions. Thanks ;)!

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

Aww! too cute!

Love the Somewhat Cowl- been thinking about that pattern myself...

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

I LOVE THAT KITTY! I wish I could sew. . . *sigh*

I didn't watch the Oscars either. Booooooooooring.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

I LOVE TABBY! I need to use up my stash as well...I am going to make her she is too cute!

2:25 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I love the photo of Tabby on the run!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

first off miss carrie, let me say that I adore kitty, she's wonderful! second, let me go "WHAT! CARRIE YOU KNIT A SOCK!?!" I seem to remember someone with A Name Similar To Carrie saying "I can't imagine spending so mcuh time on something that goes on your feet!" hmm? Hmm?! Regardless, I love your socks & your Ella is AMAZING. I want to knit one but it looks too complicated for me...but still, your projects look amazing :D

10:04 PM  
Anonymous jess said...

cute meower! don't forget, the burgeoning number of free papers has also contributed to more frequent track fires. yet another reason to, er, read salon.com? ;)

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home