new banner

Friday, February 24, 2006

Which way to the medal stand?

All of your well wishes did the trick. Ella finished blocking this morning, after a marathon knitting session into the wee hours of Thursday morning. How did I perform a loaves and fishes knitting miracle? Through the kindness of bloggers, of course.

I stumbled upon a smaller version of Ella on Heather's blog, and she advised me about how to alter the pattern for a teenier shawl that would use less yarn but still be ample enough. I basically just cut out 10 rows on each side of the V. So of course I ripped back that very night and began reknitting.

Naturally, the next morning, I got a message from the wonderful Keohinani, who HAD A SKEIN OF MY YARN! I was flabbergasted and so bowled over by her generosity. But I told her to keep it since I had already made progress on the smaller shawl and, frankly, it's going to be a massive shawl as it as. Still, how nice of her to step up and help a knitter in need!

I'll take a better pic of Ella over the weekend, but here's a sneak peak. This yarn blocks beautifully:


And now I have an announcement to make that I know you'll all be happy to hear.

Ahem.

Yesterday, I started knitting my very first sock.

What took me so long? Not sure. Maybe I just needed to find the right yarn, and I certainly did in this colorway called Fruit Salad dyed by the ever-talented Marie of Brooklyn Handspun. It's so delightful, very melon-y and cantaloupe-y.



I'm just using the most basic sock pattern I could find. In fact, I found it by typing "basic sock pattern" into google. I'm working on the 7 inches of ribbing using, of course, magic loop!

22 Comments:

Blogger Veronique said...

Congrats on finishing Ella! Can't wait to see a full shot.
And congrats on starting a sock! The color looks great.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

Horray for Gold! And wow, that sock yarn is gorgeous! I want to eat it! I need to finish my first pair of socks too. How do you like the magic loop method? I haven't tried it yet, but want to.

12:47 PM  
Blogger gleek said...

gorgeous.. gorgeous.. GORGEOUS! both ella and that new sock you've started.

you get a gold medal AND a gold star ;)

1:06 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

yay for ella! I knew youd be able to finish it somehow.

welcome to the sock world

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

Yay you! I can't wait to see the full shot either. It looks absolutely lovely!

And congrats on your first sock. It's a damn accomplishment.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

congrats! thank goodness for miracles! the closeup looks cool!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Oooooh I can't wait to see it! Congrats on starting the sock! If you're un/lucky (depending on you see it) you'll catch the bug.

1:55 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Ooh, that magic loop! I've been thinking about socks a lot lately, though I still haven't tried yet. Good for you! And excellent that you finished Ella -- I thought it looked great when you showed your progress pictures, but the blocked picture is gorgeous! I can't wait to see it on you!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Congrats! It looks very pretty.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

You will become addicted to Magic Loop, and socks. Trust me.

Please, please, please give us that full shot of Ella. Can't wait to see her!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Thank goodness! I was feeling your pain there. And I'm convinced that knitters are the sweetest people.

3:56 PM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

Hooray! For Ella and the sock. You're going to love the sock thing -- I never thought I'd be into knitting socks, but I'm full on addicted now. Maybe now that you're taking the sock plunge I can convince myself to try Magic Loop...

4:09 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I can't wait to see the completed Ella! She is promising to be gorgeous!

Yay for you for starting your first sock. I hope you're prepared. Sock knitting can be very addicting, especially when starting with such lovely sock yarn.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Can't wait to see Ella in person! And congrats on the first sock! It's great to always have a small portable project on the needles! The colorway is fab - Isn't Marie's stuff beautiful?

4:43 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Ella is MARVELOUS! Nice work!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

Can't wait to see Ella! And I love the colors of that sock yarn - very happy and spring-y! :-)

5:28 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Diving into the challenge of socks! I applaud you. I've never done it, but then I haven't seen a colorway like that in a long time.
I'm so happy for you that you found a way to fix Ella. I can already tell from the little pic how pretty she is. Congrats on the finishing and perservence. Very much the Olympic spirit.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

I am so glad you finished your Ella! I can't wait to see it. yay for magic loop socks!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Wow, Ella looks grand!! I can't wait to see her in "action".

Oh & welcome to the highly addictive world of knitting socks!

My next pair will be with some of Marie's yarn too. Although yours looks a lot more edible than mine!

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

so glad to see everything worked out for you, hooray! and that sock yarn is knitting up quite nicely. ooh, socks are so fun and easy to carry around. you'll be sooo hooked. i promise.

you must post pics of ellas when you get the change, you tease. ;)

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Katie said...

Okay, you're just mean. You give us that tempting little taste of Ella and that's IT??? Bad blogger! We need the fully monty (um...of ELLA I mean. ELLA.)
Nice sock colorway ~ I have yet to go the sock route, but I feel it coming on strong.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Hilari said...

dang it! if only i'd come across your blog sooner! I ran out of yarn so close to the end, it's not even funny! Your Ella looks fab! I'm jealous!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home