new banner

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's!

So my parents, who are wonderful, have sent me care packages since I split for college ages ago. Valentine's Day is no exception -- several cute camis, chocolates and, of course, conversation hearts. So I thought I'd share with you folks what is very wrong with this holiday:



Must technology be forced down our throats, quite literally? "IM Me?" C'mon! This is outrageous. (Actually, I'm so out of it that at first I thought it meant "I'm Me." As in, "Valentine, I'm too old to change. Can't you just accept me for who I am? I'm me!")

Anyway. Enough of that. I believe that I am the only New York knit blogger not wise enough to take photos during our record-breaking snow fall. I was marrooned at chez long-suffering boyfriend and without the digicam. I made stew and we savored the last four episodes of "Arrested Development," as well as the first disc of the Season 2 DVDs. You really catch a lot more watching earlier ones over again -- it's like there are jokes that you'll only get after watching the rest of the season. It's something smarter than foreshadowing. How can they cancel a show that pronounces, "George Bush hates black puppets"?

Obviously, all this laziness allowed me to knit like crazy on my Knitting Olympics project, Ella from Knitty. I had doubts that I'd finish, but after just one snowbound day, my confidence increased:



I love this yarn and I love this pattern. I can't say that I'm exactly memorizing it -- I have to keep looking down at my print-out. But it's relaxing and forgiving and makes spotting mistakes pretty easy. I simply can't wait to block it -- how often do you feel like that?

Plus, I love that backwards, it reminds me of one of Louise Bourgeois' amorphous, plaster creations. Here's Ella's backside:



And here is Louise:



Perhaps it's time for me to go to sleep, huh?

27 Comments:

Blogger keohinani said...

haha...funny hearts. :)
happy valentine's day!

and seriously? not regretting (sp?) the brooks farm investment. not one bit :) looooove your yarn. too bad there's no more amy :( must be out of stock or something...

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Sandra said...

I totally thought that that heart said "I'm me" too! :D

Whoa, your Ella is going to be sooo awesome. Very nice work there, Carrie. Can't wait to see it all finished.

Happy V-Day, hope it's a good one!


xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

7:03 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Teabag said...

ella is a wonderful pattern, isn't it? i'm working on it right now. i love the yarn you've chosen for it.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Oh Ella - what a beauty!

IM me. That is awesome!

7:52 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

I'm also the NYC knitblogger who didn't record the snow. I did enjoy it, though. Looks like you did too -- nice work on Ella! And thanks so much for the picture of Louise -- that's great! I think those conversation hearts are hysterical, as if the holiday needs to be modernized to appeal to the techno-set. Have a wonderful day!

8:11 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I told you you would get ella done in no time! Looks great so far, the olympic judges are impressed.

im me you too!

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

The whole "IM Me" vs. "I'm Me" thing has me cracking up this morning.

Ella is STUNNING. Cannot wait to see her done and blocked. Your knitting is always so beautiful!

8:34 AM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

You know, I can't even really figure out or deal with IM and it makes me feel really old and depressed that the message heart people -- who make a product as retro as retro can be -- are down with it. I'm sticking with I'm Me. That's a nice valentine.

Love Ella! She's a beaut!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I thought IM me was I'm me too. I was thinking that was pretty cool, until I figured out what it really meant. Sheesh.

Ella is gorgeous!

9:55 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

happy v-day! xoxo

that some beautiful yarn you're using for ella. what is it?

9:57 AM  
Blogger Julsey said...

That Louise chick made me snarf coffee...ouch! Ella is gorgeous! Please share your choice of yarn. Must get me some!

hope your b-friend catches on to the V-day craze and does something better than IM you :)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

"page me" do people still have pagers? Ella looks great. The colors are wonderful

10:14 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

ella is looking pretty! that backside is pretty funny! thanks for the baby book recommendation. ill have to look for that in the store. i kind of resorted to doing a pattern from knitty for now, cuz im a cheapskate and impatient.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Yeah I thought it said I'm Me too! Weird hearts! Your ella will be very pretty.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Wow! Ella is looking fantastic!! I really love that yarn with the pattern!!

Happy Valentines day!!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Nice going on the Ella shawl! She's gonna be gorgeous! I love that yarn - what is it? Go Team Spiders!!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Oh my, those hearts are distrubing - I too thought the top one said "I'm me". Ella is so pretty I love the layered look pre-blocking...but I can't wait to see it blocked and in its full glory!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

I love your Ella. But now I am thinking...should I scratch my Kiri and take on Ella instead???

12:37 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

your making really good progress! i smell a gold medal!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

Honestly, I looked at that first heart and also thought it meant "I'm Me." Do you think this means we're old? ;-)

I was snowed in, too. But I had to do school work instead of knit. ;-( and then I forgot to take pictures. Damn school!

Oh, and what's up with Louise? Is she wearing a flesh eating disease costume?

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

thanks for the chuckle. I'd never seen Louise before, but you're absolutely right about the coincidental resemblance...

Gotta love the four play...

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Hee, that is a funny comparison. Ella is fabulous. The yarn is working out beautifully.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love that post! I have to say, those conversation hearts have gotten way out of hand. What's next? "Text me?" I love Ella, I've been eyeing up that pattern myself, and Louise is great! Hope you had a great Valentine's Day!

7:41 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

::sigh:: I really miss the old-school hearts, too. But I share the same sentiment with 'mayarn' - that it probably just means we're old.

Regarding the comment you left on my 'granddad' post: It's really bittersweet to learn these bare facts about your family. You realize that they had this whole life before they were just your grandparents, but you know nothing about it. The next best thing is to fictionalize the details, but it really isn't very satisfying.

9:29 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Oh! And Ella is looking swell!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

A belated happy V-day to you. My favorite conversation hearts are the ones that say fax me. Ella is looking loverly!

6:17 PM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

hey carrie, as far as the daisy sweater goes, NO i am not putting snakes on it. i think thats wierd too. im just making the base of it, and possibly the hoodie option, since ive never knit a hoodie before. :)

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home