new banner

Friday, February 17, 2006

Ballet pullover, take 2

Perhaps I was being a little cocky. But after successfully shrinking Tubey, I decided to turn my attention to another knit that's languishing in my closet.

As I mentioned back when I finished the Interweave ballet pullover , I just didn't dig the light purple and white in the Plymouth Napa yarn. It certainly looked ok online, but in person -- not so much. It appeared marbled, like a steak or something. Just not right up my alley.

So I pulled it out of the closet last weekend, bought some navy Rit dye and went to town. I felt slightly witch-like, sweating and stirring a giant pot filled with sweater. And I really adored the outcome. Even wore it to work, which is the ultimate thumb's up.



It's funny that what was light is now dark and what was dark is now light. Here's a close-up of the fabric, which is truer to the real color.



Too bad my ladle didn't hold up so well. Who among us hasn't longed for a denim ladle?



God and a slow news cycle willing, I'll be meeting up with the Spiders tomorrow! (Actually, I guess at this point it's today.) Thank you, long suffering boyfriend, for switching shifts with me. Let's just hope my aching back is better. In the dumbest thing I did this week, I waited days and days to dig out my car. I took the subway to work, not paying any mind to parking. But I had to stop doing so because it took me more than an hour to get home late Tuesday night -- and during the interminable ride, I saw two people get arrested and one woman cry so hard she threw up.

When I tried to dig out Wednesday morning, I realized the error of waiting so long. The icy snowdrift surrounding my driver's side was as tall as the car. And I had to stop and buy a new shovel because mine was too small and wimpy to make any impact. People actually waved and purposefully sprayed me with slush. I was exhausted, unable to lift another shovel-full, when a good Samaritan came by and helped because, well, he wanted my parking space. And that was just fine by me.

19 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

I like how the dye job turned out! It looks great.

One thing I miss about the East Coast is the distinctive seasons, including the snow. However, I don't miss digging out the cars afterwards

1:53 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Nice work on the sweater! I haven't used rit dye in YEARS! Sorry about your back, and I hope you feel better soon.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Oh the sweater is so pretty! That really turned out well with the dye! I have been curious about using Rit. I really love the results, and I am happy to hear that you do too ;)

I waited to dig out my car too, and wow, it is work. Most of it had iced over by the time I dug out. It is not fun. But now, all the snow is pretty much gone. It is amazing how fast all of those inches melted away with a little sunshine.

Take care, Carrie!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

nice dye job! That was a good idea.

9:01 AM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

The sweater looks great - and I'm looking forward to meeting you tonight, back willing!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

It looks fabulous! I really like the new colors!

And I hope you feel better soon.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

I like the new color of the sweater. I'm always scared to try RIT dye but I guess a should try it. I'd like a denim colored ladle. I hope your back feels better. Take care!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Julsey said...

I haven't used RIT since we tie dyed tee shirts in jr. high - glad to see it works on knitted goods!

That sounds like one eventful subway ride - was the crying/vomiting woman related to the arrest, or 2 separate instances of total insanity making your commute blogworthy?

9:45 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

Good call on dying the sweater - it looks great!

I hate shoveling. I always think it's going to be no big deal, then I hate it. Especially digging out a car - yikes! Hope your back feels better soon...

10:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

The dye job is fab!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lovely dye job! Crazy what the dye did to your ladle though.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Only in NY would somoeone help you just so they can get your parking spot! That's hilarious.
I haven't seen any "before" picture of the Ballet Pullover, but it sure looks great now! I bought a very similar yarns, Italian Ice by Knit One Crochet Two,and I also hate the weird marbling. Looks pretty balled up though...

11:02 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I love that you had the balls to totally just dye one of your sweaters! I think that too many of us knit something horrid and then just toss it in the closet.....never to be seen again.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

The sweater looks great! I'm glad the rit dye worked so well.

oh yes I know about digging the car out...pain pain pain - I hope you are feeling beetter.

12:46 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

That worked perfectly - I love it when risky manoeuvres pay off! Your Ella yarn really is gorgeous by the way. And I thought the candy heart said I'm me (as in I am me) also...doh!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Your sweater looks great. Even better than before.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

The sweater looks great. I really like the color. I think that was the perfect "wash" to put on it. And wow, you really live in NYC. They actually waved and intentionally sloshed you? I hope the back and the snow get better!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

The pullover looks great- the color is so rich.

Rit dye always scared me because I figured, how good could it be if they sell it at ShopRite? I think I'll give it a try...

11:35 PM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

I expect to see your denim ladle for sale on Ebay tomorrow. You could start a whole new trend.

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home