new banner

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Taking shape

Work in progress shots are always a little tough to take. I attempted to wear the partial tubey, but it looked simply ridiculous, like a bad half-shirt that might have been worn by a character on "Saved by the Bell." So here tubey is so far, on my rumpled bedspread:



I like it so far, but the stitches on my sleeves look a little wonky. I even ripped out one sleeve, reknit and still was unhappy. With luck, blocking will do the trick. But I can't block the ribbing, right? Oh dear. This is complicated. I just haven't had as much time as I'd like to work on this. And the ribbing, well, it gets a little repetitive.

What helps cure the boredom of 3 by 1 ribbing? Buying new yarn! While looking for a lace project for the Knitting Olympics, I stumbled back upon Ella. Now, there seems to be no way that I could ever finished this in 16 days, but I can start it, right? I've never been much for competitive sports anyway. (I played tennis and field hockey in high school but kinda lacked that killer instinct. Plus, you know, I wasn't very good.)

I've read a lot about Brooks Farm Yarn, and I've seen a few finished Ellas made from it. So I broke down and bought this lovely color called Amy:



But this is certainly one of the dumbest things that I did this week. I somehow accidentally ordered just two skeins when I need three. I tried emailing them immediately, but the order was already shipped. So I had to have the third shipped seperately. I'm a little sick to my stomach over the shipping fees, but it's nice to know that they ship so fast!

And I hope you are all aware of the Steelers triumphant win last week and impending trip to the Super Bowl. I can't tell you how many readers have emailed me asking, "Where can I find the lyrics to the Steelers Polka"? (Ok, none of you have. But that's probably because you didn't know it existed!) So here it is, thanks to my former co-worker's blog Pittsburgh Dish. Feel free to sing along!

21 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Wow! That colorway for your Ella is lovely & your tubey is looking great as well!

1:05 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

the knitting looks great to me! don't get too aggressive with the ribbing while blocking (wow, that sounds dirty so Ill stop there)

1:05 PM  
Blogger gleek said...

mmmmm, brooks farm! you naughty girl :)

1:50 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Ohh I love the colors in that yarn...I'm taking mental notes for the weekends dye party! I HAVE to get me some brooks farm!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

That tubey is going to be really pretty. I am loving seeing other's WIP's regarding it. I also like that Amy stuff.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Oooo, brooks farm! Which yarn is that? I have some Primero that I was thinking of make an Ella with. I, too, only have 2 skeins (a little less actually. I tried to knit something else with it that turned into a big furry tangled mess that I just cut it off).

2:59 PM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

Oooh, I've been thinking about Ella myself, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on that much lace yet. Let me know how it goes.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Gorgeous color for Ella, and I'm glad they were able to get another skein out to you too.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Tubey is looking good! And Ella is such a pretty pattern.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

Tubey is so fun! I'm pretty much convinced I need to make one.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ella's beautiful, but man is that a looooonnnnggggg pattern, good luck to you!

Vida

7:26 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Those colors for the Ella are so beautiful - I saw another great finished this week, and while I am often wary of lace, it tempted me to look at the pattern again! Yours will be great.

Your Tubey is coming along so well - you will be sporting that around town in no time ;)

7:01 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

You know, I think if you put on Tubey you could totally pass for Kelly from Saved by the Bell. I was such a loyal viewer of that show! Zack was so dreamy.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Carrieoke said...

It looks really beautiful. The wonkiness is definitely not showing up in the pics. When I blocked, I blocked the sleeves and left the ribbing alone, and it worked out.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Katie said...

Bring tubey tonight or Saturday (you will be there Saturday, right?) ~ I can't wait to see her live and in person! She looks great so far. Love the Duet. I'm Team Lace too! Go Team Spider Lace!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Carrie, please tell me you've heard the "Puhlamalu" song! If not, go to www.mrdevious.com and follow the links near the bottom of the page. It's the funniest and most disturbing Steelers song I've ever heard!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

Your tubey is looking good. Atleast the sleeves are out of the way

5:18 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

OMG- it's so funny that Megan said a half shirt was a la Kelly from saved by the bell. I was trying to figure out who looked sillier in their half shirts- Kelly or Slater (in his dorky cut-off wrestling shirts)

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

CARRIE!! Your on glampyres blog!!! I'm sure you already knew that, but I was browsing around & I was thinking..wait! I KNOW HER!!!!!! Your famous!!!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

Steelers Polka???

Wow. I'm impressed. Someone has discovered a way to make Polka music even LESS appealing. It is another triumph of science.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Virginia said...

I'm doing tubey also, and the 3x1 rib is worse than a shot in the foot. I'm leaving it for the subway, where mindless knitting is saved.

Amen for brooks farm.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home