new banner

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

News flash!

How did it take me this long to make the Headline News cabled newsboy hat from Stitch N Bitch Nation?



For some reason, I really felt compelled to knit this on Saturday. I picked up some readily available Patons Classic Wool merino and finished it in a jiffy. See, now I can wear this and stand on a street corner, hawking my own newspaper. "Extra! Extra! Read all about whatever I wrote last night!" Might be a good way to pick up some extra cash. How else will I afford 10 balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran? (If anyone has other yarn suggestions for Tubey, please tell me.)

Obviously, since I was inspired to make this, I haven't yet finished Angelica. I just really hate knitting sleeves. Instead of knitting them flat then seaming, I am -- of course -- using ye olde magic loop method. Still, it ain't as fun as the body, and I needed a wee break.

And in some very EXCITING knitting news, at long, long last, I will meet the Spiders Friday! Best boyfriend ever is taking my evening shift so that I can head to the Point. I've been reading their blogs for so long that I imagine it will be a bit like walking into a work of fiction.

So this might not be the dumbest thing I did this week, but it's perhaps the most humbling. Like a lot of you, I recently stumbled upon this new fangled
face recognition database. The idea is that you upload a handsome photo of yourself, and through the wonders of modern science, the computer will tell you that your facial features resemble those of some fabulous actress, singer or other luminary. A few knit bloggers have been compared to the likes of Neve Campbell, Fay Raye and similar comely celebrities.

Never one to watch the bandwagon rattle by, I upload a picture of myself and eagerly await the results. So who do I resemble? Well, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Sergio Vieira de Mello, of course!



So, so wrong. (Oh, and by the way, he's dead. So now I have to feel bad that I feel bad that I look like him!)

29 Comments:

Blogger Jennifa said...

He looks so HAPPY.

What about AC Moore? Do you have one near you? They sell a knockoff of Cashmerino Aran there.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

Ok.. Sergio Vieira de Mello is a bizarre choice.

I dig the hat, though.

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Kim Guzman said...

LOL That was funny! I got 63% Cameron Diaz. My husband got Guy Pierce. Too funny.

*Love* that hat. Adorable!

4:23 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love the hat. Nothing beats getting instant satisfaction out of a short project while you're floundering on a long one. Your boyfriend sounds like a gem - "has appreciation for knitting committments" is a very important quality!

7:27 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

lovely hat commissioner! Ill keep thinking of subs for you, but the ac moore one wont save you any money. If anything it costs more since it has more acrylic than the db

7:30 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Such a cute hat!! I second Jennifa on the AC Moore - they sell a great DB knockoff. Cheaper, and I think it actually may be better quality - it doesn't seem to pill as much!

I could not get a match with that silly face thing... I tried 6 pictures. Argh.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Biglug said...

Hey the hat looks awesome! I am so gonna knit me one of them.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Wow! Well done with that hat! What a cute color!

Now the face recognition thing... that is weird!

Have fun on Friday!!

9:27 AM  
Anonymous lisa said...

3 things: 1.) Cute hat! 2.) We can't wait to meet you on Friday! and 3.) You look nothing like that guy!! But that sound like a fun little site!

9:27 AM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

You know.... I was never interested in that hat until now! That color is perfect and it looks so warm.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous kaitlyn said...

the hat looks great! love the color... I'll have to see what comes up when I put myself in. Scary!

9:38 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

oh boy.. now i'm going to have to try that face recognition thing too!

some of the spiders are going to make the tubey too so maybe we can organize a knitalong. i know that viriginia just bought cascade 220 for hers.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I got 61% Uday Hussein!
As for Tubey yarn choices, there's quite a few yarn of the same gauge at the Point. Just sayin'.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Angela said...

CA-YUTE! Where did you get the mesh they tell you to use for the brim?

12:14 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I've always loved that pattern, but have shyed away from it b/c of the mesh requirement. So I second Angela's question. If you didn't use mesh - how did you get the brim to be stiff? Yours looks great!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

cute, cute hat!

ooh, can't wait for friday. . .

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Don't use the Cashmerino Aran! It pills and wears awfully, at least in my experience.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

I don't even want to know who they'd say I look like. Probably Al Sharpton :-D I think I'm going to be at the Point this Friday also. I'm trying to drag my BFF who isn't a knitter to come with me.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh another person sucked in by the face recognition and getting a weird result. I got Frida Kahlo for me. wth?

2:02 PM  
Blogger katie knits said...

i knitted a headline news and lost it :( yours looks great, so does your angelica-in-progress!

12:04 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Love the hat - so cute!! That face recognition thing totally sucked me in but it's definitely not accurate so no worries there. I got Judy Garland, Penelope Cruz (in my dreams), Brittany Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Ricci and Rita Hayworth. LOL - can you tell I've been trying to kill time??

4:37 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

LOVE the hat!
Looking at the cute hat pic and the high commissioner... I don't see the resemblance. at all.

I tried two different pictures on the face recognition -
the first said 65% Juliette Binoche and the second said 63% Bette Davis. I don't see the resemblance with either but am very flattered.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

How in the world did they decide you look like him???

Cute cap, btw. It must be really satisfying to finish something so fast!

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And why was Maman not told about the newsboy hat?? C'est adorable.....

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Esther said...

The hat is fantastic!!! Looks great on you too!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

That hat is damn cute! you look fabulous in it.

I just finished my first Tubey, and I used Elann's Peruvian Alpaca - I got stitch gauge on size 6s, and the row gauge is a little off but it still works. and at 4 buck a ball, 10 balls for a solid Tubey, you can't beat the price! I actually just ordered some more of it to make my second one. yayayayayy.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

p.s. I got Chelsea Clinton when I did that thing. GAH.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, new visitor to your site while googling for cashmerino astrakhan, love your scarf! in similar position as got some for christmas, and i know my friends are dying for me to actually produce something from it (4 balls), so any great ideas for anything to knit anyone? part of me doesn't practically need a new scarf, so i'm trying to be inventive...

Vida

7:09 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

that is a cute hat! i love the color!
and you look absolutely nothing like that guy! how in the world did he get matched up to you?

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home