new banner

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The new gal in town

Here she is, glampyre's angelica via Hip Knits.



Now, this is hardly my most functional knit, but it was quite a luxury. I used the silk sold on the Hip Knits site in a color called Owl. I really loved the color changes in this yarn and how, well, silky it felt on my needles. I'd never knit with silk before!

Instead of knitting the arms flat then seaming, I, of course, used magic loop. I'm not wild about the increases around the hips, but I couldn't come up with a better solution. But I adore this color, found a button that matches perfectly and really enjoyed the process of making this. (Though I'm totally over top-down raglans.) And I have more than a hank of the yarn left. Maybe a silk shawl?

In perhaps more exciting news, I met the Spiders Friday night. It was definitely surreal to read their blogs for so long then finally lay eyes on them. They're all as wonderful, creative and friendly in person as they seem on their blogs. I only hope I can get there more often, and that I didn't babble too much. (Babbling is what Carrie's do best.)

I didn't work on Angelica while out with the Spiders because I cheated and began a new project -- Tubey in the very nice and very affordable Luxury Aran Cashmere that I purchased at, gasp, AC Moore. I was able to reconcile starting a new sweater because I was stuck with jury duty on Thursday and needed a small project. It was sort of blissful for a day -- we watched "The Price is Right," "The Tony Danza Show" and some mindless sitcoms while waiting to be called for a panel.

My name was selected for an intriguing civil case that sounded a little like a bad joke. A Korean man, a Tibetan man and a deaf man got into a car crash on Northern Blvd. in Queens, and they apparently all needed translators. Can you imagine the aftermath of that accident? Long story short, I wasn't selected. But I did make some progress on Tubey. (Apologies to folks at the knit-a-long who have seen this already.)

32 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

I like that color you chose, did you end up using a coupon? Thats what I would do, but then I like to annoy the ladies at my ac moore by going there and buying a skein at a time ; )

7:39 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Gorgeous sweater! And the silk must be so comfy.

Isn't jury duty great? I was called last year to Brooklyn Civil Court too and I made fantastic progress on my Clapotis. With an hour and a half lunch, it felt like a vacation day!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Your Angelica turned out so great. I really like the shaping.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

That knit suits you so well, Carrie - so pretty!! The silk looks luscious too. Mmmm

I like that AC Moore yarn you got - it is a perfect Debbie Bliss knockoff, I think! Can't wait to see more of Tubey. That is a great design.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Biglug said...

That Angelica is awesome! I love it. I am totally going to start tubey after everyone already finishes theirs. I feel behind the times on this one already. :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

i cant beleive, its like every time i come to your blog your either finishing something I want to knit, or starting on the next one in my wish list!! angelica looks really pretty, and the silk is so drapey! i want to start tubey soon, but i nervous about my yarn selection for it. thanks for cheering me on with the lucky wrap. im anxious to finish. and about those poufs, you can get about one nicely sized pouf out of a skein of that ribbon xback yarn!! they work pretty well! btw that accident sounds like an episode of seinfeld!

9:47 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

hahahah, that DOES sound like the beginning of a very bad joke.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Angelica looks awwesome. The color is gorgeous.

That civil case sounds like a bad joke. Awe, the joys of civic duties.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

Angelica is cute and looks good on you.

How do you like the yarn from AC Moore? I've wanted to try it but never had the right project.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love that color! It does look quite elegant on you! I'm scheduled for jury duty this week. I didn't get called today and I'll be crossing my fingers for the rest of this week too.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Angelika is gorgeous! You have to come model it at the Point...

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Angelica looks beautiful and so do you! Great job!

12:03 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

fgreat color, indeed! must've been nice knitting with silk...nice job.
i was just skimming over the part about the accident, so at first i thought you were about to tell a joke! shame on me! ;P
can't wait to see tubey!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh my - awesome! I wasn't sure if I liked the Angelica pattern when I first saw it, but I think you've convinced me to try it out. Lovely work!! You're so speedy too!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Angelica Looks amazing the color really suits you and I really like the keyhole front.

1:45 PM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

I can't believe how fast you are! Either way, Angelica looks beautiful on you -- the fabric has such an amazing drape! Great job!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Angelica looks fabulous!! You did such a great job and I hope you enjoy wearing it.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Great sweater, and the color really works on you! I can't tell from the picture what the hip increases look like, but the keyhole top is way cool.

They let you in the courthouse with needles?

4:22 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Same with some of the others, I didn't think about Angelica as something that I would knit, but now that I see yours, I really love it. Yours came out great. Did you get a haircut? Either way, you look great in that picture.

Oh, and that case/joke!! Wow, that's an "only in NY" moment if there ever was one!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Kim Guzman said...

I love your Angelica! It's so pretty in green! Glad to see you've started Tubey! That's going to look great!

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Love the sweater - it looks fabulous on you. I'm partial to green though ;)

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

Your angelica looks great!

10:58 PM  
Anonymous marie in florida said...

that lovely silky beauty is perfect for your figure and i love the color and did you cut your hair?
i'm surprised you were allowed to take knitting needles into the courthousej? although i didn't have any problems bring some on my plane ride home from texas

11:04 AM  
Anonymous amanda said...

Angelica is smashing! It was great meeting you in person on Friday!

2:08 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Angelica looks gorgeous on you - love that color and the silk sounds lovely! It's nice to splurge a little every now and again.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Katie said...

It was so nice to meet you at the Point (even though I was waaaay down at the other end of the table. Angelika is AWESOME ~ nice color. And congrats on escaping jury duty for THAT case! Nightmare!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I love the color of your Angelina! It looks great on you. So jealous that you're starting Tubey! Can I live vicariously through you for a bit?

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute as always.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

that is beautiful!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

That looks FABULOUS! I just love the neckline.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Becky said...

Wow! That is quite an elegant and sophisticated knit. The keyhole neckline and pagode sleeves are sooooo flattering on you. Brava!

11:56 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

thanks for the comment on lucky! i love it, and its so casual but classy at the same time!

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home