new banner

Sunday, January 01, 2006

In with the new

My first hour or so of 2006 wasn't so hot -- I volunteered to work and, let me tell you, a lot of people feel compelled to shoot and stab others immediately before and after the ball drops. But since I stepped out of the office, I've had a marvelous new year. We saw "Brokeback Mountain," which was heartbreaking and wonderful AND shows lots of sheep. Then we ate at a yummy French place in Long Island City. And now I plan to do some knitting on this lovely lady:



It's Angelica, and I hope she turns out as purdy as the others I'm seeing at the knitalong.

Now these photos are a little goofy, but we're feeling lazy here at chez Every Word's. They show the pom-pom scarf I whipped up with the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Astrakhan that my mom gave me for Christmas. I'm not usually a boucle fan, but this stuff was so squishy and bouncy and great. So I made up a scarf pattern where I increase, increase, increase then knit straight then decrease, decrease, decrease, so there are pointy ends where I place the pom poms. It's no work of art, but it satisfied my need for a pom pom scarf.



Minus me.



Oh, and, if you are looking for a New Year's resolution, here's one from Pittsburgh's Strip District via my mother's cell phone camera.

17 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Happy New Year Carrie! Funny, I was just in the Strip District a few days ago. I think the scarf is lovely. And you are speeding through Angelica!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Wow your Angelica is looking great! That color is amazing!

HA! That is the best new years resolution EVER!

11:19 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

i THINK i can be persuaded to eat more dark chocolate :)

are you home today? if so, contact me! the spiders are meeting up. we'd love to have you join us!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

I love that pom pom scarf. So cute! Happy New Year...

6:23 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Yes - more dark chocolate is always a good thing! Happy New Year!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

Happy New year! Love the scarf. ;-)

6:44 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I'll take that resolution with a side of yarn, please... lol.

Your pom pom scarf is too fun!

Happy New Year!!

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

Angelica looks great! I hope you have a Happy New Year & It was great "meeting you" this year!!!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Saun said...

That's a great resolution. Your knits are looking good. I like the color of your Angelica and the pom-pom scarf looks real comfy and soft.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I like the scarf, and as soon as my knitting skills improve I may have to give Angelica a try.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

hey, was the name of that french restaurant you ate at called Tournesol? On the corner of Vernon-Jackson? Because my boyfriend and I had brunch there once.

That is some night fine progress you are making on that angelica. i cast on for mine this weekend but I kept spacing out and making stupid, stupid mistakes. I've frogged it numerous times already. Argh. I'll try again some time this weekend or something.

I know gleek already bugged you about this but when you going to come to a Spiders get-together?? Everyone is dying to meet you. Tell that boyfriend of yours to cover your shift and get your butt down to Soho!!!

Until then, HAPPY 2006!!!!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Happy New Year!

Your Angelica looks so pretty. I love the color.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Happy New Year! Ohh Dark Chocolate - there is never enough. Angelina is coming along nicely I love the color.

3:45 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I hereby resolve to only eat dark chocolate. Or chocolate that is perhaps a bit dark, or at least browinsh in color. Unless it is white chocolate, which, by nature, is not brown, and thus should be eaten in its natural non-brown state.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Happy New Year! I didn't really finish the sweater in time, but I got to wear it on New Year's. Will blog about it soon. Thanks for stopping by!

7:18 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Angelica is so nice - good choice! Glad to see the kids enjoyed their "Kates" and robots - I want a little Kate for myself.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sweetie young'un. remember when i donated a prize for those of us giving to the red cross for, Katrina relief and you got some nice prizes? look here then...
http://zeneedle.typepad.com/
today i wond some lovely yarn!

yay me

marie in texas
returning to florida by the way, on satruday

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home