new banner

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Haven't heard enough about the yarn dyeing party?

Good! Because I wanna weigh in too! I cannot express what a blissful day I had dyeing yarn with the other spiders at Marie's fabulous apartment. Lots of knitting and chatting and red wine and baked ziti and hummus and the requisite chick flicks. I hadn't even heard of Showtime Women!

And I suppose I must mention that poor Amanda got stuck in the bathroom -- and she'll probably never hear the end of it. Here are Joy and Lisa trying to determine if she could be rescued from the roof and before Stephanie had at the door with a knife.



All silliness aside, it was an inspiring, relaxing and fun afternoon. I'd never dyed yarn before, since I probably have too many hobbies as is, and Marie was an excellent and patient and generous teacher. I brought two skeins of lace weight yarn from Knit Picks, and here is what I came up with.



Since it's a sort of sad color, I'm dubbing it the Anderson, after CNN's pensive and earnest Anderson Cooper.. (You Spiders know this is in obvious tribute to Stephanie, who is naming hers after legitimately dreamy men. Only she has a real knack for this and will start a great business, whereas I will just keep knitting and watching CNN.) Here's a close-up:



Now this mix of pinks and reds will be the Fredericka Whitfield, mostly because the other anchors call her Fred and that makes me uneasy so the least I can do is name my yarn after her.



close up!



Now just a few more shots. Here's Sandra, plotting her colors:



And here's Stephanie, Bronxie and Julsey doing what they do best:



Be sure to check all the other blogs -- some have wonderful progress shots and pictures of Marie's craft room that will make you drool.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Jessica said...

I love your skeins! They are so soft and romantic looking. Great for a summer shawl or something!

1:50 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Ooooh, your skeins are so lovely! I can't wait to see what you make with them. Certainly something to show off those soft colors. That party looked like such a great time - I loved reading about it in blogland.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your colorways!!! Great job. Can't wait to see them knit up.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lovely colorways! The pink one is especially pretty and summery.

9:51 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

i don't think that your colorways look sad or drab at all!! but naming them after CNN anchors is pretty damn funny :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Looks like you guys had fun, and your skeins turned out very pretty!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

I think your colors really came out great - you'll see once they are knit up you'll priobably like them a lot more. It was great to finally meet you in person and hang out!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

I really want to dye some yarn this spring too! Yours looks lovely.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Wow - as I said on Marie's blog: I sure wish I was an NYer! What a fun time ;)

Love the colorways you got, Carrie!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

I love your colors. They aren't sad at all! It will be intersting to see how they knit up...

12:27 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

Wow! Those turned out so pretty! I love them both. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Love your color choices! So pretty.. have you schemed up what you want to make with them yet?

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Kim Guzman said...

What fun! I love the colorways. Really pretty. Can't wait to see some swatching. But, oh, what fun to spend an entire day with the "girls". :-)

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Katie said...

The colors are subtle, not sad! I think they are very lovely and well named. Fred is especially nice.

4:11 PM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

What are you talking about? Anderson Cooper is waaay dreamy! I find his grey hair really alluring. And I'm not kidding at all!

5:04 PM  
Blogger mrspilkington said...

your yarn looks great and the names are hilarious.

5:05 PM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

the yarn is so pretty! very subtle! im glad that someone else feels the way i do about herringbone stitch! no problem posting that pattern too.. i wish i knew more to be able to size it!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Biglug said...

Your yarn turned out really well. Hopefully your Anderson Cooper won't prematurely gray. :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love the color combos you chose.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

oooh - its turned out so pretty! I'll have to try dyeing my own yarn eventually.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

hey carrie, i don't know what you are talking, your yarn came out great! Totally not sad looking at all. Love the names for them. ;)

I had soooo much time at the party. And oh, thanks so very much for the lift once again. I seriously would have gotten home at like 11:30 that evening if it weren't for you.

11:13 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

I think your yarn came out great, too. That sounds like a lot of fun. Oh, and by the way, tag, you're it (for the four meme. Mine is kind of long -- see Robyn's for a more representative example!

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home