new banner

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

What not to wear ... to an office holiday party

Anybody else heading to an office holiday party this year? If so, please take my advice and not wear anything off-white. In fact, consider wearing a rain poncho.

Last night was my newspaper's annual party at the Copacabana. Yeah, I'm not kidding. And it looks about the way you'd expect.



I'll say this -- the cook made a mean ravioli. And who doesn't love to see co-workers dancing to "Beat it"? But, as is always the case, things took a terrible turn. One staffer took a spill down the stairs, poor guy. Then a co-worker gave me an enthusiastic hug -- and spilled Merlot down the back of my new off-white cropped cardigan.

I almost had to be restrained. (And she didn't even realize!) But mercifully, the wine didn't penetrate the sweater, only staining my camisole underneath. Must have been the sweater's 42 % wool, 33 % nylon and 25 % mohair blend. We left shortly thereafter, and OxiClean COMPLETELY got the stain out! Honestly, it was miraculous.

Despite the debacle, Jon and I managed to have a very holly, jolly few days off. Monday we did some Christmas shopping in Manhattan, stopping at Central Park and Rockefeller Center and FAO Schwartz, where they sold a $15,000 stuffed elephant. Then today, we saw the Van Gogh drawings exhibit at the Met, ate cheeseburgers then attempted to go ice-skating at Central Park, which we haven't done yet. Too bad they don't let the public skate on Tuesday afternoons. Rats!



But we got over our disappointment and carried on.



So, anyway, here she is -- the completed ballet pullover from Interweave. Again, I'm just not crazy about the flecks of white in the Plymouth Napa yarn. Let this be a lesson -- don't buy yarn sight unseen! Otherwise, this was a quick, relaxing, fun knit. I'd recommend it in another yarn.




Oh, I have been accepted as a spider! (Is it gauche to mention that? I'm sorry if it is.)

Anyway I love all of these gals' blogs, and I really hope I can meet them in person soon. See, I work Friday nights, and it stinks about as much as you'd expect. Especially since that's when the spiders usually meet. But fear not -- I have convinced a co-worker (also known as my boyfriend) to cover for me some time in the near future. Maybe the first week of next year?

22 Comments:

Blogger keohinani said...

that is so cool! the oxiclean--that's good stuff :)
seriously, i was also referring to your days off. sounds like you had TONS of fun!!!
that's a cute pullover, but i concur with your "meh" feeling about the flecks. i like the pullover, but i'm not impressed with the flecks.
side note: i've taught my bf to say "eh, i'm not impressed" when i ask his opinion on a particular item of clothing and he doesn't think it looks good on me. before, he used to say "it makes you look fat" or "it looks too tight. maybe you should get a bigger size." trained him well, i have. :)
hee hee...you're a spider. yay!

4:12 AM  
Blogger Wednesday's Child said...

Your man is so cute. I've never made it to the skating rink here in DC either...we're aiming to do it this year, but who knows.

What pattern did you use for the ballet tee--I totally want to make one with long sleeves and bought the yarn over Thanksgiving.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

It's sounds like you had so much fun galavanting around Manhattan. I'm kinda jealous. I love NYC but I've never been in the winter. The ballet top looks great. You may not like the flecks of white but you do look good in it.

10:29 AM  
Blogger gleek said...

of course it's not gauche :) we're glad to have you! sorry it took me so long to get back to you about it. i was away for a while.

please come and join us! there are other spiders who knit during the week. if that works out for you better, i'll put you in touch with them.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Wow I am glad to hear your clothes didn't get stained! Was the cardigan something you made?

The pics in the city are really cute too.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

You guys make a cute couple! My work holiday party is this weekend - and it's a formal event. So lot's of opportunities for wardrobe malfunctions! Your sweater looks great!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I wish I had co-workers I could watch dance to beat it. It sounds relaly funny. Glad your white cardie is safe! One of my cousins allowed only white wine at her wedding so that she could avoid similar incidents.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Heya Carrie! I really dig the ballet pullover, and I think it looks really pretty in that yarn. Sorry to hear you are not happy with it though!

Lovely pictures! Sounds like a nice few days off with your man.

I think I would have to be restrained too if someone spilled wine on me. Glad it came out though!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

The pull over looks great and if you really don't like the color you can always dye it! Welcome to the Spiders! Hey your in luck I'll be having a Spider dye day at my house in Jan.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Welcome, New Spider! Love the FO ~ even the white specks (or what I can see of them from the internet ~ in person, who knows?) You must have been mighty releaved when the Oxiclean prevailed.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous marie in texas said...

Spiders* how cool for ya!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Shout your proud spider status loud for all to hear!! Hope to see you at The Point in the New Year!

Oh, and the same thing happened to me at a holiday party except it was a conga-line-induced spill and it DID ruin my entire outfit.

The ballet pullover looks great... way to go!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Biglug said...

the ballet pullover looks good! I can understand that you don't like the flecks, but it looks like a flattering piece. You could try dyeing the whole thing.

:)

3:16 PM  
Anonymous kaitlyn said...

woohoo, new spider! Glad to have you and hope to meet you soon...

4:25 PM  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

hey carrie, very nice pullover. superb job.

and please get that boyfriend of yours to fill in as soon as you can. i'd love to meet you finally. :)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I like your sweater a lot. Maybe it's because I can't see your sweater in person, but I like the tweedy look that the white flecks give the picture. Anyway, yay oxiclean!

9:02 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Glad to hear you got the stain out! And your pullover really came out great -- white flecks and all. I'm one of your readers who also (not so) secretly wishes I could dance with my coworkers to "Beat It."

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

At the copa, copacabana lol. I've been to the copa once. Just once. Yay for being a spider. I have to start hanging with them also. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Wow, the pullover is lovely! And I like the specks.
Sounds like you had a nice little vacation - I love experiencing all the holiday cheer in NYC.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

oh my goodness, this is so strange but during a critique a gal knocked over a huge bowl of punch on someones portfolio, something about holidays & parties can really bring out the klutz in people!!!
I'm glad you got it out, I would have CRIED.
You & you boyfriend are SO cute!! & The sweater looks very awesome as well, I'm jealous at your quick knitting! You always have so many projects done so quickly!!!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

Hey Carrie!

I joined the spiders too! I'm excited, although it's gonna be hard to get into the city on Fridays, but its always nice to know there's somewhere that accepts us ca-razy knitters!

10:29 AM  
Blogger =joy= said...

hey new spider from QUEENS. *phew* no longer the only one! ^_^ maybe we can do weekend spider-ing? great work on your recent FOs!

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home