new banner

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Holly Jolly

It's been months in the making, but here it is -- the afghan for Jonathan. Very mod, no?



Sadly, it's acrylic. And I fear that since so much time has elapsed since I began, I used different size crochet hooks for some of the squares. Oops. But it's certainly sturdy, and it's nothing if not BOLD. This pattern is from the Fall 2002 Family Circle Easy Knitting. That's almost retro!

Unfortunately, he won't get this or another one of his presents until after the holidays, thanks to the transit strike. We planned to celebrate our own little Christmas after work tonight, but we both have early trains home out of Penn Station tomorrow morning. And since we might not get into Manhattan otherwise, we're staying at a friend's aparment not far from Penn Station tonight. And since this is too large for Jon to stuff in his suitcase, he won't be able to cart this home with him. Sigh.

(But the TV news is reporting headway in the negotiations! Oh please please.)

Speaking of heading home, I made sure to pack the most important items first:



There are my two knit robots and two knit kitties. Yes, I finished one more cat, this time for my other cousin's little girl. I plan to give these fellas out Christmas Eve. I hope they are a success. Here's a close up of the newest cat.



Now, enough with the toys! I know you folks over at the Angelica knitalong have already seen this, but here is the Hip Knits silk that I purchased for that pattern. It's GORGEOUS, a total splurge. I think it's too lovely for train kitting.



Since I might not be able to post from home, I sincerely wish you all the season's best. Not to be too schmaltzy, but I've really treasured reading your blogs and learning about all of you over the past months, and your comments mean so much to me. Cheers!

edited to add: The strike might be over soon!

20 Comments:

Anonymous Skylar said...

That silk looks amazing!!! I was thinking of joining this KAL, but I really, really need to be a good girl and NOT buy any more yarn until I use up some that I already have (and use up some patterns that I bought recently too).

I must make a Kate Cat though...too cute!

Happy holidays and I've enjoyed learning about you over the year. Have a great holiday!

12:20 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Hooray for the end of the strike! Hope you have a very happy holiday and I look forward to lots more reading when you return!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

that kate is sooo cute. i need to whip one up real soon.

and have fun back home. have a wonderful holiday!

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's GORGEOUS, a total splurge. I think it's too lovely for train kitting."

no! you have to let all those folks see what they are missing by not making their own hand knits!!! show 'em! i must have missed something, what are you making with that?
marie in texas

1:11 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

The knitted toys all turned out so great! Wow, you're fast! And that silk is *gorgeous*! Wow, can't wait to see how it knits up! Hope the strike ends soon and that you have a Happy Holiday!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

You are amazing....all the toys, and the afghan, and LOOK AT THAT SILK I AM DROOLING NOW....GAAAAHHHHHHH.....

Hope the transit strike is resolved soon, you poor thing. Have a safe trip home and a wonderful holiday weekend!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

I don't care if it is acrylic, I love the afghan. Very mod, indeed! I love the knitted toys in the suitcase too. Those are so darn cute!

Wow, I think I am this close to Angelina-ing along with you... especially after seeing that yarn. Beauty-ful.

1:44 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I love the afghan! I love the toys!! and I love reading your blog!! Happy Holidays Carrie, hope you make it home safe and that the strike is finally over soon.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Hey! Happy Holidays to you too!

I'm so jealous you've finished the afghan. Mine is lingering. Haven't worked on it since last May. Yikes. I think the blocks of color on yours is fabulous. And I'm even more jealous of that awesome silk!

4:43 PM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

all of your stuff is awesome! i love that afgan too. that yarn is really gorgeous! hope you have a great holiday!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Hope that strike ends soon-- as a fellow transit dependent person I feel your pain. Have a great holiday and I love your blanket!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I love that afghan!! Very Mod indeed!

Your kitties & robots are sure to be well received!

Happy holidays to you as well! Have a wonderful, safe trip home!!

6:02 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Happy Holidays! What a great afghan -- certainly retro!

6:52 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Those toys are soooooo cute. I bet you're so happy the strike is over. Fingers crossed the buses and trains will be up and running for you for rush hour.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

A Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

Enjoy your time at home.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Merry Christmas to you Carrie! It's been such a pleasure reading your blog and receiving your comments too! Have a wonderful vacation, and enjoy the relaxation! I'm sure those kitties and robots will be the hit of the holidays!

7:59 AM  
Blogger legally intoxicated said...

oy, the afghan is so cute. are those red sox colors? if so, it's the ultimate retro gift. i know we have some 1970s orange-and-blue broncos afghans around somewhere.

merry merry christmas! can't wait to hear your mom's reaction when you spring that clapotis on her. love you!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Kim Guzman said...

Wow! Those skeins are absolutely stunning and I know you'll turn them into something wonderful! I hope you have a fantastic holiday!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

The yarn is lovely - can't wait to see the finished product! Hope you had a nice holiday!

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

Oh- it's just too lovely! I saw the FO pick at Glampyre and it looks soo great! Now I want one!! I love the purple color, but hubby's birthday is coming up =( so I'll have to wait. ARG! and I've been dying to start something new too!

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home