new banner

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Ever so catty

I'm feeling a little elfin these days, and it's only partly because I'm so short. This weekend, I was a toy-making machine, starting with this little lady:



Of course it's Kate, the britches-wearing kitty from the new Knitty. She's made from Lamb's Pride worsted and a mystery skein of variegated yarn. She's also all magic loop, all the time.

So why the toy kick? See, my cousin has five-year-old triplets whom I adore but rarely knit for, since I would have to make THREE of each present. And what could you ever like enough to make THREE of in rapid succession? The answer: Jess Hutch's cute creatures.

(I'm conveniently forgetting the other reason I don't make anything for them -- I once found the little spring jumper that I crocheted for the girl triplet, Olivia, being worn by a stuffed Pittsburgh Penguin.)

But back to the cat. She recently decided she wasn't going to read another syllable about Peter Braunstein, the alleged fake firefighter sex assault suspect, and instead cracked open a new Augusten Burroughs book.



And well aware that she has a decidedly pear-shaped figure, this cat is adopting a low-carb lifestyle complete with a daily pomegranate.



So, in other festive news, is anyone else heading to the Bust Magazine Holiday Craftacular this weekend? I can't wait -- and it's not because of the promised gin and tonic. Crafty superstar Jenny Hart will be there! And the gal from Small Object! And admission is free! Lemme know if you are going.

Lastly, I'm not sure if this is the dumbest thing I've done all week, but it was definitely humbling. On someone's blog, I found a link to a harmless little quiz called "which world leader are you?" So i take it, thinking I'll be Eleanor Roosevelt or Corazon Aquino or Boutros Boutros-Ghali. But who do I get? HITLER! Are you KIDDING ME? Who writes these things? I guess I sounded paranoid and worried or something.

To redeem myself, I take an accompanying survey, "what classic movie are you?" Again, I expect Sabrina or Breakfast at Tiffany's or Pretty in Pink. And I get Platoon! Is this a sick joke?

So I tell Jonathan, who laughs and tells everyone in the area code. So he takes the test, and I'm silently praying he gets Stalin or Mussolini or maybe a Bush. Who does he get?

Ghandi.

26 Comments:

Anonymous Angela said...

Soooo cute! I love your kitty's sweater! I've gotta make one for my boyfriends niece.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

oh my god, kate is sooooooooooo cute. I love this way more than the original. love, love, love the colors. super job, carrie. awwwwww. :)

7:04 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Those Jess Hutch toys are SO calling my name! I ordered the book last week. Seeing your adorable little Kate cat, I just can't wait to make my own!

Lemme tell you, if I could find a way to NYC this weekend, I would go to the Craftacular with you - sounds like a fab time!! Take pics!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Biglug said...

Don't worry, I just took the test and it turns out I'm Saddam Hussein. Oh boy.

Nice kitty!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

That is too funny about the world leaders quiz! Your little stuffed cat is cute. Did that take you a long time to make? It seems like it would, with all those different little parts.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

oooohh...holiday craftacular! I wish I could go. To bad they can't postpone it till the middle of January when I will most likely be visiting the city.

Kitty Kate is awesome. I've been making little odd fellows from her booklet - priceless.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Love the Kate kitty. Once holiday knitting is done, I will knit her. She's adorable and I the pattern.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I am laughing so hard about the quiz thing. It's ok, we all know you are not, in fact, Hitler.
Kate is adorable! I have a friend begging me to knit some toys for her baby, and Kate is something I had my eye on.
Oh, and for the stupidest thing all week? I win. I locked my purse, phone and keys in my RUNNING car this morning. Genius.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

What a cute little Kate! I'll need to make one for one of my many friends who are expecting.

12:54 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Kate is adorable! I want one but I must wait til after Xmas. :-(

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Hah! I'm Bill Clinton. Hee hee.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

ok, that is hysterical, those little quiz things always crack me up!
and lets talk about Kate, she looks GREAT!!! I want to knit her, but I'm paranoid I'm not good enough & I can't magic loop, I haven't learned that!! But your Kate is Great!

7:04 PM  
Blogger elizabooth said...

Love your Kate! I'm going to make one for Ruby for her birthday in February. I'm off to take the world leader quiz... I have a feeling the news isn't going to be good.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

Y'know.. Having Kitty around Mini-edge can lead no nothing good.

I smell a tabloid scandal brewing.

Oh, and I took the leader quiz. I got Einstein.

Do I have to salute you in the office now, Mein Fuhrer?

11:35 PM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

aw shes really cute! i was debating whether to make kate because i dont know any little ones anymore! i hope you get your needle case, its especially nice to have the circs contained. when he went to the lys to find one, the owner said they didnt make wrap needle cases that include a section for circs, but he found one that had a wide pocket and figured they could loop around in there, kind of like how they are sold.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Aw what a cute Kate!! She is lovely & I love the pictures of her adventures!

I wanted to make one before & now I really want to make one!!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

What a cute kitty! I might have to joine her on her low carb diet!

Thanks for posting about the holiday craftacular I think I have to check it out...sounds very fun.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Kate is adorable!

You post made me laugh out loud, but the joke is on me, because I too got Hitler. WTF? The movie I got was Sunset Boulevard. Clearly I am an aging psychopathic grand dame.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up hitler? lol I love your kate! All these Kates look so happy. Who's going to make a mean Kate?

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok the anonymous is me bronxie. Blogger isn't letting me put my info in :(

7:36 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Your Kate is SO CUTE with her low carb foods and her excellent taste in reading material. (I liked that book!)

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Virginia said...

That is so cute, it looks like it didn't take very long. What a good gift idea.....

10:38 AM  
Blogger =joy= said...

kate is adorable! i need to pick up that jess hutch book. o, i think i'm heading to the bust thing with i may be knitting a ranch house sandra. time still tbd since i still need to get myself to school products for my yarn snob brother... i'll keep you posted if i have more details. going to take those quizzes now... i mean with results like that, you just have to laugh!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Lovely cat, and a nice name.

Greetings from Kate in Norway

5:41 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Kate's really cute and I love that she's on the pomegrante and otherwise low carb diet. i'd also be appalled if I found something that I had painstakingly made on a stuffed animal. At least now, you're just giving the stuffed animal. You could suggest of course that they dress Kate in the crocheted jumper.

I tookt he same world leader test, and I think they said I was Ghandi. As if! I have much fuller hair than that!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Danielle said...

I must comment on the the pomegranate ;) Of course, the knitted animals are beautiful. But having recently discovered the wonders of the pomegranate, I'm happy to see others, including the knitted kitty, appreciating a pomegranate!

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home