new banner

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Domo Arigato

If I don't sound cheery folks, please forgive. I just got home, thanks to the late-breaking transit strike. Why can't the strike deadline be at, like, noon, so I don't have to keep working until the wee hours of the morning? Not good friends, not good at all.

So anyway. Perhaps these high-tech fellas can help me find a revolutionary way to make it into work this afternoon.



They are, of course, robots designed by the inimitable Jess Hutch. They are so lovable and squeezable, despite looking like rather stern malcontents. They're also delightful to knit.

Surprisingly, though, these guys aren't much for technology. Here they stand, confounded by the number of remotes I own.



They confided in me that they'd much rather regard my grandmother's vintage brooches. So pleasant!



Or perhaps catch up on a must-read knitting blog. Will she finish her holiday knitting or won't she?



These two will go to Brennan and Nolan, the boy triplets. Ok, so I'm upholding gender stereotypes. Oh well.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention this weekend's Craftacular. It was jam packed but kinda awesome. Basically, it was a craft fair in giant a bar/meeting hall. Hard to beat that. And, since I'm a total dork, I introduced myself to Debbie Stoller. (My "in" was that I interviewed her once for an article about Martha's poncho.) You can see her in this shot sporting a sweater straight outta Stitch n Bitch.



My friend Kristin and I threw back a cocktail and munched on tasty pierogi. (It as at a spot called "The Warsaw"). The crowds were rough, but I found two little items for me. One was a funky flowered wristband made by Fresh Popcorn Productions. I also picked up a MUCH-needed new wallet crafted by Miss Alison.



I'd wanted to get in a little pre-bed knitting, but I should turn in. Heaven only knows when my bosses will call me to work tomorrow -- or how I'll get there. Eek!

18 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

I have visions of you walking across the bridge for some reason.

So do the robots find out? Does she get her xmas knitting done?!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Oh, that late night transit strike does not sound fun! Hope you can get some rest.

LOVE the robots! I am definitely making those now that I have the book ;)

8:06 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

I hope that strike ends soon. That can't be any fun. The robots look cute. I hope you get all your Christmas knitting finished.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Sorry about the strike--I hope the weather isn't as cold as it is here in Chicago (9 degrees this morning--a heat wave). LOVE the robots!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

The robot is next on my list to complete the "family" of Jess Hutch toys for Christmas! Too bad we missed each other at the craftacular! It was great, wasn't it? I love going to those things. I find them so inspiring. And amusing - where else can you find a bunch of crafty Williamsburg hipsters munching on pierogi in a Polish meeting hall while oogling over handmade bags, knitted items and yarmulke bras? Soooo New York.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Sorry about the strike! That is really the worst timing for you guys!

I really adore all your Christmas knits! That book is so cool & yours have turned out so well! It makes me want to knit some!!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sucks about the transit strike...I heard mayor Bloomberg was walking the Brooklyn Bridge this a.m. Your robots are adorable!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

yeah, the transit strike blows, doesn't it? :P Bleh. Who knows when this is going to end???

Sorry I missed you at the craftacular. Nuts. It would have been fun to finally have met p with you.

Fabulous robots, carrie I love all of the Jess Hutch's pattern you knit up. Too cute!!!

11:12 AM  
Anonymous marie in texas said...

a transit strike anywhere would be a nightmare but in NY? be extra careful in your travels. by the way, what are the bots sufffed with? they are so cute. and look like the kind of things one would want to stuff with solid foam instead of fluff

11:32 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Those robots are adorable! Oh the transit strike I took today off but all bets are off for tomorrow...I'm still trying to figure out how I am going to get into Manhattan from Bay Ridge - my job is 13 miles from here! I love Grandma's Brooches - I have my Grandma's broohches too!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

I love your 'bots! Soooo cute. After the holidays, I may have to get Jess Hutch's booklet.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Biglug said...

I love these knitted toys. I must buy her booklet - NOW.

12:58 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Transit Strike -- urgh!!!!! I thought I was sympathetic, but I realize, I'm not. It just has has has to end. Like now. Not just for work -- I don't really do anything in my neighborhood except groceries (and even that's every once in a bit) and laundry (and that's even less!) so I feel trapped!

I love all the little robot pictures -- so adorable. I have to get that book!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

That's a nice wallet. Take a pic of the inside! I love your robots and now I have that song in my head. Thannnks. When's this strike going to be over? Use you super sleuth ways to find out!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

love the robots! they turned out so cute! and yes, the strike sucks majorly! i had to walk 5 miles home tonight over the queensboro bridge. it's easy to get in to work in the morning, but getting home is a different story. i love how everyone is generous with the rides in the morning when there are hov4 restrictions, and then at night everyone is on their own!

8:59 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Ayyy, I agree, the transit strike is no fun at all. But those robots - I love their confounded expressions when confronted with the remotes - I definitely wouldn't count on their help when it comes to getting to work tomorrow.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

Transit Strike = Bad.

Sluggo tired. And fed up. And referring to self in third person.

Not good.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

Well...about five minutes ago they went back to the bargaining table. We might have trains again as soon as tomorrow. (Dare we hope?) I hope you didn't have to schlep to work yesterday. And if you did, I hope you had some handknit socks on your toes.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home