new banner

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A scarf that would make Jordan Catalano proud

I have a confession. I didn't even tell you all that I was working on this. I just couldn't admit to anyone that I'd bought two more skeins of manos and was knitting something else for myself. But here it is -- the inimitable "my so-called scarf":



This is a great pattern, made famous by Sheep in the City. It really does justice to the yarn's complex colorways. Plus it's easy to memorize and great knitting for DVDs of "Arrested Development." This seemed sadly ironic to me, since "Arrested" seems to be going the way of another brilliant but cancelled show that I'm assuming inspired the scarf's name.

Here's another gratuitous shot of the scarf. I'm telling you -- it is WARM.



I realized recently that I haven't kept up with my occassional series, the dumbest thing I did this week. And this is not for lack of dumb actions. Case in point -- my mom sent me a bottle of wine for Thanksgiving. (As an aside, when I saw the box from wine.com, I misread it as wino.com and was offended.) Anyway, we decided to open it Saturday -- but Jon has no corkscrew. So we opened it the ghetto-fabulous way, with a hammer, screwdriver and screw. There were a few tense moments, like when the cork broke. Eek! But it was a success nonetheless, as you can see.



Apparently, I'm not the first person who tried to open a bottle of wine without a corkscrew. I googled "opening wine bottle without a corkscrew" and found a message board thread about it. My fave answer -- "Why don't you just buy a corkscrew?"

Oh, and two very, very important announcements.

If you have some extra time and yarn -- and who doesn't -- consider stitching up a scarf for the third annual glitter scarf drive.

Also, in more selfish news, Yahaira and I started a knit-a-long for Stefanie Japel's newest pattern, Angelica. You may remember that I was drooling over it in my last post. C'mon, join up, even if you have a pile of holiday presents to knit.

Edited to add: Um, yeah, I shoulda probably posted the link to the knit-a-long. Maybe this is the dumbest thing I did all week?

22 Comments:

Blogger Lolly said...

The new scarf is so beautiful. That colorway fits so nicely with that hatch pattern. Looks really great!!

I sure am tempted by the Angelica. It is lovely. I really have too many things on the plate now though... maybe next year is better.

Hope you are well, Carrie!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love that scarf. It looks very beautiful and cozy.

Your wine opening story cracked me up. On Thanksgiving I somehow managed to mess up the cork and had to to force it into the bottle. Unfortunately I pushed it in with such force that a bunch of wine splashed all over my face and arm. I smelled like a wino!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

I love it too--maybe sometime soon I'll spring for the Manos.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Great scarf! I'm knitting with Manos for the first time and I love it. I also love Arrested Development - so sad it's being cancelled.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Carrieoke said...

ha ha. wino.com.

That picture with the wine and the tools is scary! The scarf is beautiful ... I may have to try that pattern!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

The scarf looks lovely. Yet another thing for me to add to the to-do list.

"wino.com" - that's funny! I've never tried opening wine without a corkscrew. I would have never thought of the hammer/screwdrive thing. I'll have to remember that.

9:42 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

am I going to have to get you a rabbit? I can't have everyone thinking you are a wino!

Love the colors of the scarf!

If we want any hipknits silk, we need to order NOW! what should we do?

10:44 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

The scarf looks great and the colorway is so lovely - note to self steal manos colorways for own yarn!

I love the way you opened up that bottle - even with a corkscrew I mess it up and end up with little cork floaters in my glass.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I must confess that I too have opened wine that way! Only then to pour it into a pacman mug from Arbys! Bad, I know!

I told Yahaira that I am totally in on the KAL. I love that pattern!

All the lovely msc scarfs have me drooling! It looks like such a great pattern!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

I must make that scarf. I am sure I have yarn for it. Perhaps the yarn from Barcelona??

I joined the knitalong for Angelica. I am thinking about trying some Knit Picks yarn for the project. I need to check on the gauge though.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

Don't feel bad. I'm a selfish knitter also. But I like it that way. The CC is nickel. http://www.theyarnco.com/images/yarn/manos_del_uruguay_solid/nickel.jpg
I'm thinking twice though. And I think I'll join that kal after xmas.

12:27 PM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

i love that scarf! i forgot to put it on my "to knit" list!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for the chuckle on the ghetto fabulous corkscrew. I'll have to tell DF who envisions himself as Macgyver but would be horrified of doing such a thing to a bottle of (gasp!) wine. hello, it's just wine!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Yay for ghetto-fab bottle opening! Been there done that, now own like 6 corkscrews!

The scarf is gorgeous, just like all your other knits. I love the colors.

So sad about Arrested Development...I know we get at least a few more fisrt run episodes in December, but after that, looks like it's going the way of the dodo. :(

2:29 PM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

No way! I made my-so-called-scarf last year in the exact same colorway! It is my favorite scarf ever. I think yours is marvelous, too. :-)

9:30 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Ditto what everybody said about my so-called scarf: everybody loves it and I do too! Yes, I made one too.
Congrats on starting a KAL, that design is cute. Since it's by Glampyre, I'm guessing it's another top-down raglan? Hmm, I'll have to check it out.

11:26 AM  
Blogger illanna said...

The scarf came out great! I joined the knitalong, and I can't wait til I'm finished with these gifts and I can start it! Have you seen "Requiem for a Dream?" Jordan Catalano, I mean Jared Leto is in it, and it's great. Kind of dark, but great.

5:41 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Oooh - I have opened so many bottles of wine that way. Now I have a corkscrew permanently duct taped to my forehead just so I don't get in that sort of situation.

12:15 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Love the scarf - those are great colors! I cracked up over the "wino" bottle opening. I can't say that I've ever used a screwdriver and hammer to open a bottle of wine but there was a steak knife incident a few years back...your way looks much more successful. ;-)

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

That scarf is gorgeous!!!

that story made me laugh so hard, I'm always the moron who never has a bottle opener, I've broken at least 5 house keys trying to open bottles!!! :D

3:29 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

I love your scarf! Yeah, I really miss that show...

4:33 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Jordan Catalano! What a gorgeous scarf...and I was knitting my sweater to AD DVD's. A tragedy to hear it is cancelled.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home