new banner

Saturday, November 05, 2005

No pix of me, I swear

You know, there were just way too many pictures of me in the last post, kind of flying in the face of my promise to keep this blog free of narcissism. (But can any blogs really make that promise?) Jonathan told me that the meme post with all of my previous finished objects reminded him of a "clip show" on a sitcom. Like on the Golden Girls, when the gals would gather around a cheesecake and Rose would say, "Oh, Dorothy, I remember that one time ..."

So now for some new material. I finally finished the little baby sweater for my friend's son today when I found the cutest little bus buttons at the Yarn Connection on Madison Ave. It's just the "No Seam Raglan Baby Sweater" from about.com's knitting page. I wish I'd taken a little more care in picking the pattern, but when she had the child and found out it was a boy, I wanted to get knitting right that minute.



And here's a lousy close-up of the cutey cutey buttons:



I'm sure that some of you have already stumbled upon Knit Cast, the first podcast about knitting. Now there's a second, Cast-on. (Cute name, huh?) I've only listened to its little promo, but it seems to differ from Knit Cast in that the host doesn't interview one knitter or designer per episodes. Instead, there's a topic that she discusses with a few knitters, and she bills it as something fun to listen to while knitting. I dunno about all of you, but it's so thrilling to hear people talk very seriously about knitting. Makes me feel less kooky!

And now I'll ask for some advice. In my typical day late, dollar short fashion, I'm thinking about making the ballet pullover from last summer's Interweave. (I bought the back issue before realizing I could get the pattern online and just lengthen the sleeves. Oh well.) Problem is, the yarn called for -- Plymouth Napa -- has been discontinued. Has anyone had good results with another yarn? Would some kinda bulky cotton do the trick?

11 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

I must have missed the cheesecake being passed around during the last post! I was wearing my purse though.

In the loop-d-loop book she uses cotton fleece doubled, so anything similar to that should work. Think strechy

And for the baby sweater....awww!

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Georgia said...

Very cute little sweater...the buttons are awesome!
It's kind a hard to tell which picture is a more accurate color portrayal...more green, more blue?

Great knit!

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Kim Guzman said...

Absolutely adorable sweater! I love the little buttons too! Very cute!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks for the tip about the new podcast! Although there have been a couple of KnitCasts I've liked, most of them have been kinid of boring. Cute baby sweater!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

Oddly enough, I have the same buttons on my shirt right now. They rock, and add just the right amout of flair to an otherwise humdrum suit.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Very cute sweater, I think the buttons are a great touch! I wish I could help you with the ballet pullover but I'm still learning socks not yet up to sweaters.

1:15 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Those little buses are so cute! And thanks for your marathon good wishes!!

5:40 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Those buttons are great. I've never been to the yarn connection -- even though I have their business card on my fridge. Hmm, I like the ballet pullover though I'm not the one to talk to about substituting yarns. I'm still feeling my way through that one.

And I didn't get to read the post in question yet, but really, I always loved those flashback episodes...

10:44 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

The Yarn Connection on Madison? I've never heard of that one before. Sounds dangerously close to my office - I'll have to check it out. The sweater is so cute - what a sweet gift!

7:20 AM  
Blogger mrspilkington said...

those buttons are adorable! very cute sweater. cotton fleece sounds good to me too.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Marianne said...

Carrie, Thanks for the info on "Cast On". I'll log onto it tonight. Your Clapotis photographs beautifully. You are going to need it if you come home to the burg for the holidays. Marianne from Knit-Wits Inc

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home