new banner

Friday, November 11, 2005

all aflutter

Just in time for winter, while the rest of you were knitting socks, I finished an airy, completely non-autumnal little number called aflutter.

Ever since I saw it on Keridiana's site, I was enchanted -- it's so flouncy and fun. I tried the pattern as soon as it became available, but I got nowhere fast. Guess I'm out of practice with my crochet.

But I revisited the pattern on vacation and realized that I could rip out part of this cape that I made a few years ago and magically transform it into aflutter. I loved that cape, but I only wore it once to an Indian restaurant up in Morningside Heights. Otherwise, it was a dust collector. Capes just aren't acceptable attire for reporters at crime scenes. They have zero street cred.

Anyway, this is what I came up with:



I couldn't get the ribbing around the collar right, so I left it as it. And I used a less dramatic lace pattern around the sleeves. Here I am on the steps of someone else's brownstone, trying not to be cold and looking oddly pensive:



Still trucking on holiday gifts, and now I'm coming up with other people I need to knit for. The fantastic woman at our paper's library. The night editor. Maybe my noisy neighbor. There's just gotta be a great, quick, easy scarf pattern that will satisfy everyone.

To get me through this stressful time, I've started another little number for myself -- the Interweave ballet pullover mentioned below. The yarn was in fact discontinued, but I found it dirt cheap on ebay. I'm uneasy about it, though. See, I got a denim looking color, not realizing that the white woven throughout would stand out so much. I fear it looks like my yarn is going gray! Believe me, we've had quite enough of the errant gray hairs around here.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Sarah said...

The cape is lovely! I think I know what ballet top you are talking about, and it is so pretty, I can't wait for you to finish it so I can live vicariously through your gorgeous knitting!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Biglug said...

That is a really pretty piece! It is very delicate but it looks versatile.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

LOVE the cape!! It's gorgeous!

4:36 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

oooo the affluter looks nice, even at someone else's brownstone.

silly me, I would have thought a cape would give you bonus street cred. what about it doesnt say street?

4:50 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I have always love the "aflutter" pattern! Yours looks so great!

I may have to take up crochet!!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Saun said...

aflutter looks really nice on you.

Have you swatched the yarn to see what it looks like when knit up? Does the white really stand out alot?

5:21 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

The cape looks wonderful, although I agree capes would have zero street cred - too pretty!

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Such a pretty and delicate little thing! Nice work.

You need to stop knitting gifts for people for the holidays!

6:09 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Heh heh - when you mentioned cape and crime scene I was envisioning something TOTALLY different looking. But aflutter is lovely, and its not supposed to be too cold this weekend, so maybe you'll have a chance to show it off!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I think the aflutter is very elegant. It looks really versatile - you could be dressy or casual and it would look great. I hear you on the Christmas gifts - I'm starting to get overwhelmed by all the gifts I could make! If you haven't seen this book yet you should check it out for some potential quick gifts:

http://www.jesshutch.com/booklet.html

8:43 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

I love the afluter! I hope you get a lot of use out of it - it's really cute!

10:54 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

its so cute! ive never even seen that pattern before, thanks for sharing it!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

That is really pretty, Carrie! So delicate--I think it could be matched with a number of things--even worn with a long-sleeved shirt to get some wear in the winter ;) Great job on it!

3:49 PM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

It's beautiful and elegant, Carrie.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Ah, I love it! That pattern is awesome - good job!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

Capes not appropriate at a crime scene?

Hogwash.

Might I remind you of the ever welcome crime-scene presence of such caped personnel as Batman, Superman, and of course, Knitwoman.

11:55 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

sexy top there, carrie! great job! i almost wish you'd made that sooner so i could copy you and make that in time to wear for my friends' wedding on saturday.

3:13 PM  
Blogger krissy said...

thanks for the nice comment you left for me on my blog. i love it when people stop in and say hi because then i find even more great blogs (like yours!) to visit. anyhow, i had to comment on your little cape/shrug...it looks really cute on!

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

oh my goodness, aflutter looks SO nice on you!!! I'm jealous, its very anthropologish which I love.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Keridiana said...

THAT LOOKS GREAT! What a neat idea! This is the first one I've seen "done." I'm so happy. I hope you had a good holiday. I should visit you more often, really. I've been so bad at keeping in touch this semester.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home